“Good old days.”

The Strand Bookstore
Ranked #4 of 843 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic landmark book store offers an enormous variety of new, used, and rare books totaling more than 18 miles, including a vast selection of out-of-print books.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Remember the good old bookstores. Squeaking wood floors and creaking stairs. Such an icon. A must see while in East Village neighborhood of Manhattan. Love my Hooty the Owl reusable tote bag.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

You need hours to pour through all of the books here. It is a different feel than a Barnes n Noble as they have such a variety of books. There wasn't a lot of modern fiction (at least not that I found) but that's not really my thing anyway. The only real problem I had at this store was getting out of it without blowing my budget. This is close to Times Square too. I walked here from my hotel (Westin 8th & 43rd).

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'm looking forward to the day I find a place that owned me as much as the Strand. I used to order through their website and loved how sometimes I might get a first edition or an editor's proof or an autographed copy of my book delivered by surprise.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Ok this is a huge bookstore and wherever you would have traveled there would have ben one! So where is the value, the bonus? Well first it is excellent value for money. They may have in stock out of print books and at a good price. Indeed they have a collectors books floor whenre they take you and then you feel free to browse. The staff are extremely helpful and if you register with them you can search online, have a wish list and then take your list to the store where the staff will take you to the books for you to browse. The only thing though is that there is no wifi in the store so prepared to print out your wish list. also online some of the books may appear as available when actually they are in their warehouse and it takes a day to deliver to the store so worth knowing if you only visit NYC for a short stay. Other great artits bookstore is 'printed matters' in Chelsea. Enjoy!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Good selection of books. However it was not easy to find particular books though the staff were friendly and eager to help. I like the rare books on the top floor but they were very pricy. It would be nice if there were more chairs or benches to sit on.