“Santa Land at Macy's is a Must See for kids who visit NYC during the Holidays!”

Macy's Herald Square
Book In Advance
More Info
$12.00*
and up
Historic Tour of Macy's Herald Square
Ranked #180 of 1,195 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: From its inception, Macy's Herald Square was a store unlike any other. Over the past 150 years, it has become a true New York City icon. Built in 1902, Macy's Herald Square was the first building to have the modern-day escalator, and it has continued to be a trendsetter. Today, "America's Largest Department Store" covers an entire city block with 11 levels of the latest fashions for you and your home. Macy's offers a full-service Visitor Center on the Mezzanine Level, plus restaurants throughout the store and exciting events almost every day.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
A TripAdvisor Member
Johnson Creek, WI
Reviewed January 14, 2006

We always make a point of seeing Santa Land at Macy's in NYC around the holiday season. Not only do I love shopping at Macy's anytime during the year, but taking the kids to Santa Land is always a special treat. Instead of waiting in a line for Santa like you would at the mall, Santa Land's "line" takes you twisting and turning through all sorts of Christmas Scenes. Our 20 minute wait in line was a breeze, even with 3 small children! Every step of the way, there is something new to look at and there are also lots of interactive things to keep the kids busy. When we did finally reach the end of the line, there was an elf there to greet us. She asked how many in our group, and then escorted us to Santa's Hut. There are actually multiple Santa's here at Santa Land (shhh! don't tell the kids) but they're all in little shacks so you can't see any of the others but the one you actually visit. This is why the line is able to move so quickly despite the many people that visit. The Santa at Macy's are so realistic - the best I've ever seen. They also allow you to take your own photograph of the kids with Santa, something our local mall no longer permits :( In addition to Santa land, I enjoy shopping at Macy's in general. They've always got the trendiest clothes, especially for kids. I buy a lot of children's clothing at Macy's They seem to have some items at least 50% off or more every time I go there, making them affordable. Once, I got lucky and hit a clearance sale. All items were 4.99 AND Buy one Get one Free. So basically, for $2.50 each, I picked up about 50 items with brand name labels like Carters, Guess, Amy Beyer, and more! Granted they were off season (winter clothes bought in the middle of summer) but I just bought one size up saved them for next season. Definitely make time for Macy's on your next trip to NYC. Especially if you have children and are visiting around the Holidays!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,172)
All reviews
"shoe department"
in 32 reviews
"black friday"
in 36 reviews
"largest department store in the world"
in 25 reviews
in 128 reviews
"shoes"
in 134 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2005

I have to say that despite being a shop-a-holic I was not impressed by Macys! I went there to see what all the fuss was about, full of high expectations and a purse with crisp dollars in eager to be let open and spent; however, Macy's to me was a shabby store with items that weren't that impressive for a rather expensive price! Just walk to Soho and you'll get a much better deal. The staff weren't helpful and seemed to look down their noses at us (Bloomingdales is a far posher store with much more friendly staff). After about ten minutes in there I was dying to get back out - I would suggest you go see for yourself (not everyone’s taste are the same) but I won’t be going back in a hurry.

4  Thank Pinkcustard
Reviewed March 15, 2005

What a waste of valuable time...
I went to Macy's because everybody seems to rave about it. What a mistake. It's a messy, unorganised jumble of middle-of-the road items that are attached to jacked up prices sold to you by bored employees.
The real New York dissapears as soon as you walk through the revolving doors, and after a few minutes inside, you'll be kicking and screaming to get out of there.
For a better and more interesting shopping experience, catch the subway that's right outside, down to Broadway and Prince Streets and let your wallet do the walking around that area - you'll get to do both some sightseeing and shopping in the one go.
It beats being stuck inside a huge box breathing in dry, stale air while combing through the racks like a beggar in the trash can.

10  Thank NoMapNoWorries
Reviewed December 7, 2004

I couldn't pass up going to Macy's - after all we were there for the Macy's Day Parade. I would have loved to have had more time to shop - but had kids and friends with - doesn't mix with good shopping time. We actually went in to see if we could see Santa Land I believe the day before Thanksgiving and they said it would not be open until the next week. That was disappointing. I think they should open it that week since many people come for the parade. I would go back though and can't wait to do so. If you use the elevator it is very slow but there are escalators available for the many floors of shopping.

5  Thank mstamigirl