“Snob appeal overshadows quality food”
Review of Empellon Taqueria

Empellon Taqueria
Reserve with OpenTable
Empellon Taqueria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,606 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: W 10th St
Transit: A,B,C,D,E,F,M Train to W4th. 1 Train to Christopher Street.
Description: Welcome to Empellon Taqueria, a new restaurant located in the heart of the West Village, NYC. Our restaurant is devoted to offering a delicious and highly personal take on Mexican cuisine. We value comfort, seasonality and a modern thought process. These values are applied daily to a constantly evolving menu that is designed to capture everything that is magical about Mexican cooking.
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We read in either the New Yorker or the New York TImes that the food at Empellon was very good but that you would have to come early if you wanted a table without a reservation. We were visiting from out of town, so we waited outside a few minutes for the restaurant to open on a Friday evening at 5:30. The hostess asked if we had a reservation and when we said, "no", she told us that we would have to leave by 6:20 to make room for all her guests with reservations. Around 6:30 p.m., as we were wrapping up our meal, the restaurant was still only about a third full. The wait staff was great and the food was wonderful, but that initial rudeness ruined our visit and we do not plan to return. What a pity, Empellon, your wait staff and customers deserve to be treated better.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

If there's one cuisine that I'm always in the mood for it would have to be Mexican. Sadly, in NYC the options are a bit limiting but finally I stumbled upon Empellon Taqueria in the west vill and I have been back at least 4 times. Firstly, if you like Tequilla or Mezcal their selection is bar none the best in NYC but the food is the real star. I have now tried every single taco they have and not one has disappointed. It's hard to say which is my favorite but if I had to choose it would be a tie between the Steak, the Lobster and the Pastrami. It changes the way you think about tacos. And they have a app called Queso Fundido which is basically a mini cast iron dish of deliciousness including cheese pepper, chirizo or mushrooms. I have had all 3 and my mouth truly waters at the thought of it. The desserts are also incredibly thoughtful and delicious - very surprising for a mexican restaurant. Finally, the scene is modern, cool and had a great energy. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. NYC can now give the west coast a run for their money when it comes to good Mexican!

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Ok. So it was supposed to be a great Mexican with a twist.
- bass ceviche. Call me a purist but what where all those tomatoes doing in my ceviche? They really destroyed it.
- then there is the corn salad. Nothing really special.
- the tacos were mediocre. The fish taco was not bad but the skirt stake (cut in big cubes? Hello) was not that tasty. And the the lamb taco was really mutton. Do I have to say anything else.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Best thing on the menus here are the tacos, particularly the lobster taco. The cocktail menu is also good. Good selection of margheritas.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Lively bar/restaurant with a n interesting, innovative take on Mexican street food - the green chorizo is well with a try.