“Love, love, love”
Review of Empellon Taqueria

Empellon Taqueria
Reserve with OpenTable
Empellon Taqueria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,232 of 14,526 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: W 10th St
Transit: A,B,C,D,E,F,M Train to W4th. 1 Train to Christopher Street.
Description: Welcome to Empellon Taqueria, a new restaurant located in the heart of the West Village, NYC. Our restaurant is devoted to offering a delicious and highly personal take on Mexican cuisine. We value comfort, seasonality and a modern thought process. These values are applied daily to a constantly evolving menu that is designed to capture everything that is magical about Mexican cooking.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stunning white-washed brick walls with chandeliers and dark wooden furniture. Who'd have thought for a Mexican restaurant? Well I suppose its nothing but the best for the West Village!! How fabulous!! Margaritas were excellent, try the Concorde Grape. Nachos, salsa and guacamole were the best!! Tacos are delicious and can't be wolfed down fast enough!!! All topped off with competent and very friendly service. Do not miss!

1  Thank Ian G

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My favorite dishes... too many to name... I love octupus appetizer, smoked plaintain appetizer, meatball appetizer, and the fish tacos and chicken tacos.

It's always a delicious meal, friendly service and a fun atmosphere.

The cocktail, beer, wine list is top notch.

I come here with my familly, friends and my fiancee...everyone is also satisfied, full and happy.

1  Thank Jhpmks125
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I went for lunch with a friend as he recommended it. The location is good in Soho like 4 mins away from the station. The decor is very contemporary.

Service was alright, slightly pushy/obtrusive but alright. Drinks were not amazing, I had a margarita and it was very small, especially for the price.

The food was very pricey! the dishes were very small and most of the food was not fresh - the guacamole was super cold, meaning it had been in the fridge for god knows how long. How can they not make it fresh? They mainly had to squash avocados! Only 1 taco was tasty and the rest had no taste at all, except for slightly salty (as the meat was).

All in all really bad Taco Bell-like food. In NYC there's a plethora of good authentic mexican restaurants, why waste your money on cool decor and zero taste?

Reviewed February 24, 2013

What is it with loud music and restaurants in NYC? I sound like an old fuddy but I would have been annoyed at this at 18 when I was playing drums in punk bands. From the outside, romantic looking, dim lighting and candle lit tables and when you go in gangsta rap at full volume. WTF??!! Have been living in NYC for 4 months and just can't fathom this contradiction. The customers have to scream over one anther to be heard creating a cacophony of violent noise. We find it extremely unpleasant.

Anyway, Empellon Taqueria, from the outside, was a cosy looking respite from cold and wet Saturday but after about 5 minutes at the bar we were ready to go back out in the relative quiet of NYC traffic and rain thanks to the ridiculously loud music. If the hostess hadn't giving us a table when she did, we would have missed out on some great food though. We shared 3 appetizer size plates which consisted of a Lamb Barbacoa that was exceptionally moist and tasty and just the right amount of spice, while the pork cheek pibil, with pickled red onion and a salsa habañera though too spicy for me, my partner thought it was very good. The Braised Bacon Tacos with lettuce and lime mayonnaise was also very good. The minimal, way overpriced wine menu was best avoided so we washed it down with a delicious homemade red sangria that was particularly good. Service was friendly but a little inconsistant.

We may go back for dinner to see if the club music was only a day thing and if so, enjoy their great food once more.

1  Thank PukkaWorld
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our second visit to Empellon Taqueria and we weren't let down at all. The food was even better this year than in '12.

We had a few margaritas, chips and guacamole, along with a few different tacos - fish tempura, chicken with black kale, and steak.....all three were the best that we've ever had although the chicken with black kale stood out....we'd recommend appetizer sizes.

We can't say enough of the chocolate flan - unbelievably good.....

Great atmosphere and the restaurant was jammed....can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Dean-USA