“A fabulous way to spend 3 hours....”

Streetwise New York Tours
Ranked #8 of 747 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Most walking tours point and stare at New York-with Streetwise New York, you live it! Streetwise New York explores neighborhoods, recounts history and studies contrast--but does so knowing that New York’s essence isn’t listed in guidebooks or displayed in museums. The true New York is melted into slices of pizza, hidden in subways, and carried in the ever-changing stories of its 8.5 million people.
Reviewed January 10, 2015

After visiting New York on many occasions we decided it was time to venture off the island and learn more about one of the other boroughs. The Queens tour was extremely interesting and Dan was a fantastic guide. We started in Jackson Heights and Elmhurst then travelled via subway to Astoria. We walked and learned about history and cultural influences in each neighborhood and stopped along the way to sample local food. I particularly liked Astoria and we will definitely return on our next trip. There were so many cafes, restaurants and independent stores that it definitely deserves more than one visit and time away from Manhattan.

Date of experience: December 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)
All reviews
"hour tour"
in 45 reviews
"new york"
in 233 reviews
"dumbo and brooklyn heights"
in 7 reviews
"private tour"
in 20 reviews
"guide book"
in 8 reviews
"the meat packing district"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed January 6, 2015

From the very first email enquiry I made, I would have to say the responsiveness and the focus on tailoring what we would like to experience in NY was evident. We quickly worked out the areas we wanted to see (Chelsea Mkt-Greenich Village-Little Italy-Chinatown-WTC) and sorted out a meeting place. We were then in Dan's expert hands, this guy is so knowledgeable and was able to quickly work out the various interest of our group and provide insights, and locations of interest. And this is no easy feat when travelling with teenagers. We dropped into a world music store because I had an interest in musical instruments, Magnolia because girls liked cup cakes and the TV show 'sex in the city' of course. Dan constantly checked in on how we were going and the pace we went at worked perfectly. He knows where to go for interesting foods, drinks as well as 'comfort' stops. The small dumplings shop in Chinatown (5 for $1) was a hit. Dan was so easy going and ensured we had a fantastic half day tour. When I am back next will definitely explore another part of NY the same way. High Recommended!

Date of experience: November 2014
Reviewed January 6, 2015

Had a great time at the tour! Staff is very nice, and learned a lot about the history of New York City!

Reviewed January 5, 2015

We had a great tour with Patrick. He was incredibly knowledge about all aspects of New York life from architecture to history to the second Civil Rights movement. We enjoyed our Broadway show but hands down we enjoyed our time with Patrick even more! I don't exactly recall how I found Streetwise, but I am very happy my Google search engine directed me towards their site and to our tour guide, Patrick.