“Seeing the "real" New York City”

Streetwise New York Tours
Ranked #13 of 609 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Most walking tours point and stare at New York-with Streetwise New York, you live it! Streetwise New York explores neighborhoods, recounts history and studies contrast--but does so knowing that New York’s essence isn’t listed in guidebooks or displayed in museums. The true New York is melted into slices of pizza, hidden in subways, and carried in the ever-changing stories of its 8.5 million people.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Seeing the "real" New York City”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to New York City and as such I've done all of the typical "touristy" things - so my main interest is getting into the neighbourhoods and learning about the New York City that people live in! And that is exactly what Andrew did for me last week when I was visiting. We spent about 3 hours walking in Brooklyn, somewhere that I had never been to before - and Andrew's familiarity with the area, overall knowledge of New York, and ability to impart his knowledge in a way that had us all interested and asking more questions (to which he always seemed to know the answer) was great! I will most definitely look to take another tour with Streetwise Tours the next time I am in New York!

Visited August 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“second time, still fantastic”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Last July we had a "unique and fascinating" 6 hour tour of Manhattan with Patrick. We enjoyed this so much, we scheduled another tour this trip. This time Andrew expertly guided us through Long Island City in Queens viewing the incredible 5 pointz graffiti building followed by a Disney-like boat ride on the East River Ferry to Williamsburg in Brooklyn, the hippest place on earth. Andrew was so informative, our 17 year old son asked later "How does he know so much?". This is a must do experience.

Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Highly recommend this tour! Go! You'll be happy you did!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our Streetwise tour and our guide, Andrew, exceeded our expectations. We covered so much ground in the city and got so much more knowledge than we would have on our own. Andrew was engaging, interesting and informative and all 4 us (2 teens) felt totally comfortable with him. He helped us understand how to use the subway, gave suggestions for seeing the rest of the sights on our list and offered to answer any further questions during our stay. We had the perfect mix of sightseeing and stopping to rest, eat or browse. Our tour was definitely the highlight of our trip and we will be talking about it for years to come.

Salt Lake City
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“A highlight!!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had the pleasure of having Dan Shaki take us on our tour...Mom, Dad and our 12 year old and we had a blast. Dan is exceptionally knowledgeable and the type of person who quickly makes you feel like you've known him for years. I can't say enough about Streetwise New York Tours...book with total confidence and expect an amazing day!

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A perfect tour”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Awesome tour by Dan! I'm a regular to NYC, but it was my girlfriend's first time. The tour was very informative without inundating us with a bunch of useless facts. Dan was very flexible and catered the tour to our desires, taking pictures of us along the way. We took the 6 hour tour during the day on 4th of July and ended the perfect day with me proposing to my now fiancé aboard a dinner cruise in Manhattan Harbor underneath the fireworks. Dan was both personable and subtly humorous. We highly recommend! Thanks Streetwise!

1 Thank Frank B