Streetwise New York Tours
Ranked #7 of 648 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Most walking tours point and stare at New York-with Streetwise New York, you live it! Streetwise New York explores neighborhoods, recounts history and studies contrast--but does so knowing that New York’s essence isn’t listed in guidebooks or displayed in museums. The true New York is melted into slices of pizza, hidden in subways, and carried in the ever-changing stories of its 8.5 million people.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had Sonja on our tour. She took our very tired family (our flight had been delayed and we only got in at 4am), including two fairly stroppy teenagers out on a long walking tour around New York. I thought the children would be moaning after half an hour but in the end we had more than our allotted time. She found out about us and took us places she thought we might find interesting. Sometimes tour guides can be a bit "this is how much I know about my subject so just shut up, listen and be amazed." This wasn't that kind of tour - it felt like we were wandering round with an old friend who happened to know alot. Highly recommended.

1  Thank JaneDSuffolk_London
in 17 reviews
"guide book"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed April 23, 2013

On April 13, Sonja took us on a 3 hour tour of NYC. We visited Central Park, Chelsea, the High Line, and Greenwich Village. She was a great guide for a diverse group...ages 25 to 74. She was knowledgeable and very friendly and outgoing. Would highly recommend Streetwise Tours. Would have been happy to continue on after three hours.

1  Thank Gigi7959
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My 12 year old son and I visited New York from New Zealand for the first time in early April 2013. After reading the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor I contacted Streetwise New York Tours and Andrew responded in a very friendly and prompt manner. We booked a 6 hour private tour and were assigned Patrick as our tour guide. Patrick emailed us before we left New Zealand to introduce himself and give us the opportunity to tell him a bit about ourselves and our requirements.As arranged he met us in the lobby of our hotel. We didn't really know what we wanted to see so relied on Patrick to give us a few options which he did. Patrick was very easy to get along with and had a good sense of humour. My son and I both quickly established a rapport with him and felt comfortable to ask him any questions. He showed us how to use and navigate the subway which was invaluable and relayed a lot of interesting and relevant information to us as we explored many different areas. He was more like a friend than a tour guide and was definitely tuned into the sort of things we were interested in seeing. My son has since talked a lot about the information Patrick gave us and the sights he showed us and it has inspired him to research more about NYC since returning to New Zealand.We hope to return to New York and we would most definitely book Patrick for another tour! We highly recommend hiring Patrick and the personalized services of Streetwise New York Tours. Thanks so much Patrick-you made us both feel at home in your city.

1  Thank Tracey P
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Andrew was our tour guide for our 3 hour tour. He will make the tour anything that you want - wherever you want. We chose Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy and Soho. He knows a lot about the history and architecture but luckily for me, he was able to point out multiple "Sex and The City" points of interests as well so there was something for everyone. I would highly recommend hiring "Streetwise" over the other big tour groups - believe me, you will run into those groups and they will not be having nearly as much fun as you are with Andrew. What was nice was that after our tour, we felt comfortable enough to hang around the area and get back to all the places we wanted to linger. It was a great way to kick off our week in New York and well worth the effort. Also, I would like to say that our group was my husband and me along with our 16 year old son and 16 year old exchange student daughter. It never felt awkward or boring - Andrew was very in tune to our needs and interests. I highly highly recommend

2  Thank ahennypenny