“Feel like a local”

Streetwise New York Tours
Ranked #7 of 660 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Most walking tours point and stare at New York-with Streetwise New York, you live it! Streetwise New York explores neighborhoods, recounts history and studies contrast--but does so knowing that New York’s essence isn’t listed in guidebooks or displayed in museums. The true New York is melted into slices of pizza, hidden in subways, and carried in the ever-changing stories of its 8.5 million people.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This tour was one of the best and most informative and fun tours of our trip. Andrew really knew what he was talking about and gave us a lot about the history of the particular places and what sort of environment they are now and why. You didn't really feel like a tourist which was a good thing and you got to see sights that you might not of put on your to do list of New York but they are definitely worth going and seeing. It is a great way to start your visit in New York, as you walk around you get your bearings of this big amazing city and we were showed how to catch the subway (very handy)!

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"guide book"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

For many in our group, this was their first time in NYC. They got to ride the Subway -- and not have to ask directions or get lost! The got to see hip. newly gentrified areas of Chelsea and the West Village, as well as established, historic enclaves -- off the beaten path. Although not my first time in The Big Apple -- I learned more about my favorite World Class City ! And, on a most historic day -- from the highs of the 100th Birthday of the opening of Grand Central Station to the mourning of one on NY's great visionaries and three-term Mayor Ed Koch, who passed the morning of our tour.
Our guide was the quintessential New Yorker and a font of NY history with just enuf trivia thrown in! A most enjoyable walking tour that was well paced and timed.
Just Do It !

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I just moved to NYC for school and when I came to the city to find an apartment with my parents, I contacted Dan to set up a tour of Manhattan to get acquainted with my new home. Dan met us at our hotel (on time!) and we started our 3-hour tour of Manhattan. If you hate tours, this is the tour for you! Dan was so knowledgeable about the city and told us countless stories about the history of the city, the buildings, architecture, and more. Dan took us through many areas of Manhattan and showed us the "local" places that normal tours would never show you. Dan was super helpful giving me advice on how to navigate the subway, bus, and streets of New York. I am looking forward to going on another tour with Dan with my friends and boyfriend to learn even more about the city. The 3-hour tour FLEW by, I wanted to keep walking around the city!!! THANK YOU DAN!!!

1  Thank Jordan M
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Seeing New York with Andrew was a great "first look" at New York. For our six hour tour Andrew not only took us interesting places, he taught us how to navigate on our own; an invaluable lesson when in NY for the first time. We used these skills the rest of the week and even returned, without error, to Chelsea Market to eat lobster a few days after our tour. Andrew was full of great information and took our family to see Central Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Highline Park, Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market and more. We loved his local perspective and that he could answer our many questions about the areas we visited. I would recommend Streetwise to anyone looking for a tour in New York. Wear good walking shoes, bundle up if it's cold, and get ready to see a different side of the city.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My two daughters (11 and 9) and I toured with Andrew in December (private tour). The kids can be fairly restless when it comes to touring (or even theme parks) if not finding it interesting, but in this case they remained happy and interested the whole day (and thought Andrew was just fab).

During the 6 hours we visited Chinatown, Little Italy, the Lower East Side, and several parts of Queens. Amazingly enough, even with all these places and seeing so much, it did not feel rushed and we took time to eat dumplings in Chinatown, Indian food in Queens, to let the kids shop for candy etc. We took both the subway and the Chinatown van which was something great that I would never have even known of otherwise.

Andrew was a great guide in being both very easy and fun to get along with, very tolerant with the kids (and this required a lot of tolerance due to the excessive liking they took to him), knowledgeable about all the areas we visited and pointing out/explaining things that we would never have known otherwise (including something that was just outside our hotel that we had totally failed to realise was there), and even small details like clues as to how many families lived in houses.

In summary, it was a great day, we saw a lot that we would not have seen otherwise, and I will definitely book a tour next time I am in New York.