“Off the beaten path”

Streetwise New York Tours
Ranked #6 of 684 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Most walking tours point and stare at New York-with Streetwise New York, you live it! Streetwise New York explores neighborhoods, recounts history and studies contrast--but does so knowing that New York’s essence isn’t listed in guidebooks or displayed in museums. The true New York is melted into slices of pizza, hidden in subways, and carried in the ever-changing stories of its 8.5 million people.
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I reviewed tours online on the train and came across “streetwise” , who appealed to me right away. I texted Dan whether he could accommodate us and within minutes we had a confirmation and meeting point. Dan showed up early and we joined a small group to discover lower Manhattan’s culture and its influence by the many ethnic groups who came to NY over the years. Dan was very competent to point out landmark stores and buildings, providing meaningful insights. Some of sights and info are quite mind-blowing, but I won’t give it all away. – But be prepared for the unexpected – for example Dan knows the spot to get the best bull-frogs for dinner. The second part was Queens, which wouldn’t have been on my agenda if it wouldn’t have been for streetwise, but turned out to be a fascinating and diverse place. Anyway, I highly recommend Streetwise for their friendly service, passion for what they do and competence. – and what a great alternative to sitting on a double decker bus stuck in traffic.

Chris and Diane

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)
All reviews
"hour tour"
in 41 reviews
"new york"
in 213 reviews
"dumbo and brooklyn heights"
"great tour"
in 8 reviews
"pop culture"
"great introduction"

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Andrew expertly guided us to tasty street food stops on Roosevelt Ave in Queens, aka Jackson Heights and shared the personal stories behind the people making savory and sweet delights throughout the area. I would highly recommend Streetwise...for their insightful and local perspectives and aptness for tailoring any tour to your needs. It's a major perk to me when you feel like a knowledgable friend is showing you about town...versus feeling like a tourist.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

It's not easy to find delicious ethnic cuisine in New York. You'd think it would be because there is hardly a shortage of taco trucks, Latin American bakeries, and falafel stands scattered throughout the city in nearly every neighborhood in every borough. HOWEVER, if you've ever wanted to learn about the food that you are eating and its cultural history while being fairly certain you are enjoying the best the city has to offer than you must take a tour with Andrew and Streetwise New York Tours.

I participated in the duos' tour of Latin American Jackson Heights in March where Andrew shuttled us around a fascinating part of the neighborhood. Andrew's relationships with the food vendors that provided us with some truly fantastic dishes was as impressive as the food itself. Through him we learned the stories of each bakery/food cart owner and about the status of streetfood in New York. I highly recommend this tour to those who live in New York (like me) or visitors here for a good dose of American multiculturalism. Thanks guys!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

My sister and I took this tour in March during a very rushed two-day visit to New York. Over the last 15 years I've been traveling to NYC annually to visit family and this is the first time that I feel like I actually saw the city - thanks to this 2 hour tour!

I love learning about the history and little stories about cities that I visit - and we clearly made the right choice. At one point I had to stop Andrew to ask him HOW he knew so much about this city because there were so many little stories about the areas that we were seeing that you can't really find in a book.

I suggest doing the Chelsea tour and bring a camera, good walking shoes and some change to get treats along the way. Feel secure asking Andrew about places to go out or eat or anything related to planning your trip - he'll give you recommendations that will send you places that make sense for YOU. I would also recommend this tour for folks who live in NYC.