Review Highlights
Excellent tour of Chelsea/Meatpacking

We joined a walking tour offered by the Pod Hotel and wished we had done more during our stay! I... read more

Reviewed today
Emily K
Fab tour with very knowledgeable guide

Thoroughly enjoyed our tour round Brooklyn and DUMBO, Andrew was very knowledgeable and took time... read more

Reviewed today
PGBEJ
Scotland
via mobile

1,145 results
All reviews pod hotel lower east side meatpacking district greenwich village walking tour hour tour new york dumbo and brooklyn heights custom tour great tour street art these guys the subway system bob dylan private tour guide book the meat packing district
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Hands down the best tour in NYC. The Streetwise guides have a way of pulling you into the narratives that run through the neighborhoods of NYC and bringing each story to life. This is not a tour that rattles off some Wikipedia entries -- the Streetwise guides know their history and it's clear that they also care. It's a rare tour that can touch your mind and your heart. I left thinking that NYC is certainly the most fascinating place in the world.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

As a long-time New Yorker - and someone who doesn't tend to take tours even when I am visiting new places - I loved this walking tour. It combines historical info about immigrant life in NYC with a taste of living, breathing neighborhoods of today. Great balance of walking, looking, listening and eating made for a fact-filled and fun afternoon (I learned lots of new things)! Tour guide (I had Andrew) was knowledgable and friendly. I'd recommend this tour to both New Yorkers and out-of-town visitors alike.

Reviewed May 4, 2011

If you want to spend a terrific day learning about NYC and eating unusual food check out this walking tour - Streetwise New York. Even though I am a native New Yorker I learned a tremendous amount about Chinatown, The Lower East Side and parts of Queen that I never knew. Best of all, I had a great time ....although it was 5 hours long I actually was sad when it ended. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and had a great grasp of history, architecture and the immigrant experience.
A great day - highly recommend it - just wear a good pair of sneakers and come hungry!

Reviewed April 28, 2011

I have lived in the United States for 6 years, mostly in upstate New York. I visited New York and saw different sights and neighborhoods. This tour of the city which I somehow knew put the city in a new perspective for me. This perspective is about the city as migrant city. Our guide, Andy, took us through the city following the doings and daily public lives of migrants, both in the past and present. The tour showed us political, social and economic life still visible in the streets, buildings and people of New York. The perspective of the past in the present we have walked opened a new dimension to us. From East Village to Queens we followed the migrants in their movements, in the places they shopped, in the buildings they worked and lived. We saw the uncanny changes: For instance, Jewish progressive newspaper, Forward, with its alliance with the working classes is now turned into luxury condos, where America Ferrera lives, showing how gentrification pushes the working class migrant communities out. Then we went to Queens to look at the history from the perspective of the present. We saw the new migrant neighborhoods, from diverse corners of the world. It is like witnessing the history in the making as the guide leads us through the streets of this new migrant space.
Migrants are the working classes of New York. This has always been that way. This tour bares the real stories of the real people of New York. It is like reading a book, and the guide reads the city for you, shows you its real people, walks you through a social history from below. This is about not the spectacular monuments, and the riches of New York that you would generally get in a tour. It is about the corners of conflict, of exchange, of struggle, and of gathering that everyday people made and continue to make. I highly recommend it for the curious strangers to this city.

Date of experience: April 2011
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I definitely recommend Streetwise New York for tours, especially if you want to learn about the history and neighborhoods of all the diverse groups in New York. I got a customize night tour, around Corona in Queens, that showed how this area has change according to the different new comers from around the world. We stop at a italian spumoni ice cream shop, and afterwads enjoy a game of the Italian Bocce played at the park.

Date of experience: April 2011