“Great location in NYC”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Paris
“Great location in NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were 4 so wanted a hotel where we would all be together so took a suite at the Sofitel - one king and one sofa bed in a separate small lounge. It worked well for us. All the usual amenities, nicely appointed bathroom, staff helpful and we enjoyed drinks in the brasserie. Not cheap but NYC never is - great place to stay near the theatres and well located.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you enjoyed our very convenient location in the heart of Manhattan. We are also glad that you enjoyed our comfortable bedroom and the different amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Sofitel New York for another stay. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sofitel New York Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

The attractive convenience and superb service provided by The New York Sofitel has not diminished in the twenty some years I have stayed at this hotel. The Sofitel is tasteful elegance without pretense and it has one of the most convenient locations for enjoying the theater district near Times Square and is within a short walk of Rockefeller Center. From the reception desk willingness to upgrade a room upon request to the wait staff at breakfast who remember your preferences, the service is prompt and friendly. One always feels welcome and appreciated. You can book with confidence the Sofitel has earned its excellent ratings.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 20th floor have wonderful views and exposure to more natural sun light.
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you had a great experience, appreciated the professionalism of the waiters and enjoyed our different amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Can't fault the hotel really - The rooms were lovely and clean, staff were polite and concierge helpful.

The location is great, a couple of blocks from Grand Central which makes the subway perfect for getting around. As others have said its within a short walk of Times Square, Empire State etc....even Central Park isn't too far if you want a nice walk in the morning.

My tip: Don't bother paying extra for breakfast at the hotel. There's a great diner a few doors up called The Red Flame which does fab breakfasts and just seems so much more authentic.

1 Thank H-travels
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property and the different amenities we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sofitel New York team
Brandon, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel is in a great location on a fairly quiet street, one block or so from Times Square, central to most everything. We have stayed in Hotel Sofitels all over the world and have ALWAYS been very impressed (see my reviews for Rome, London, and Paris), so for this May visit to NYC, Hotel Sofitel was our obvious top choice. Will it be tops next time? Read on. I made reservations via the Sofitel website 7 months ago for my family and I, which included my mother-in-law and aunt (both 80+ years old) in one room with two singles, and my wife and I in another luxury king room. We asked for rooms on a high floor, quiet rooms, and close to each other if not connecting. I called a week before we arrived to confirm they had that request (and they did) and again early of the day of our arrival. However, I was told on the day of arrival the rooms were 4 floors apart, and expressed concern about us needing to be be near the older ladies with us and the fact I made the reservation well ahead, suggesting they should tell you if your request cannot be met. I explained that my mother-in-law simply will not sleep if we are not nearby because despite living in a good neighborhood in Miami, her house had been broken into several times and she has faced the criminals directly--she wanted us nearby, period. Now, all hotels include the caveat that your request may not be available but it is a nice touch if they can tell you when it is not met—and many do. I should add that at Hotel Sofitels in London and Paris where we’ve stayed, they not only met the requests, but (in Paris) they even upgraded us to a junior suite (no extra charge) when they couldn’t meet it so we could have connecting rooms. For this trip to NYC, I talked to Nancy on the day of check-in. She was outstanding in switching the rooms around and was able to put us in two rooms next to each other on the 16th floor. The rooms also had a small hallway outside that we could close off. Kudos to Nancy, but again, for the management, you all should offer feedback when a guest puts a request in that you cannot meet. Even if it's the day of check in it shows that someone reads the request and pay attention to your guests needs. The worst thing is to not say anything as it gives the appearance you ignored it, especially when the guest has to bring it up again. Our reservations were for a “luxury king” advertised as 400 square feet and a “superior double” (two beds) advertised as 350 square feet and included “breakfast” and “Wi-Fi” with the rate. We basically paid about $70 more per night, per room to get these items included. That equates to $35 per person, per day, for internet and breakfast. I'll state now I know it's pricey and don't minds paying it, but that should be the end of the payments. We checked in to find the rooms both the same exact size and both seemed considerably smaller than advertised. I estimate each room was 13 X 11 for living space with a 3 X 7 closet, 4 X 9 hallway, and 11 X 9 bathroom. At best, they seemed 300 square feet total (or smaller), including bath and closet; and felt much smaller than the Sofitel Superior King rooms in Rome, Italy that were advertised as 350 square feet. The rooms were so small in fact that there were no drawers other than two night tables in the Luxury King room, and a single night table in the other (Superior Double) room. The closet was spacious enough, but had very few hangers (luckily I brought several extra with me) and we had to move items like the iron and laundry bags, etc., out of the way to use the closet shelf to put clothes on. I also had to remove the bible and phone book to use the night table drawers. After all, for six nights in a hotel, we’d rather unpack not get dressed right from the suitcase—but this is basically required at this Hotel Sofitel for space reasons--too bad. The desk in each room had nothing other than a pencil drawer, and the base of the desk was the refrigerator--no other drawers. The bathroom has what are basically closet-style double doors, and one has to close these doors to go out the main door to the room--awkward. One also has to close the night table drawer to open the closet door. One also has to get up from the chair at the desk and push it in to let another person pass to get to the other side of the room because it is so cramped. There is an arm chair with stool, but clearly a recliner or nicer chair would not fit, much less a chest of drawers. So you get the picture. One of the reading lamps that is supposed to be at the bedside was actually mounted on the wall one foot above, and well over the bed, where one will bump it if they get in/out of bed or if they try to turn over. Solution: We slid the whole bed toward the closet so my wife didn’t have a lamp sitting basically on top of her head. No one called us after check-in to see if we found our rooms to be okay. This is another nice touch most high-end hotels offer that this hotel did not do—but I imagine if they did that many would complain about the small rooms with no drawers. when we went down for breakfast the next morning, I explained the dilemma with the drawers to the front desk person, also explaining the shelf was higher than the two older ladies could reach, and asked for some extra hangers for the second room and a night table...at least. He said he could probably find the hangers but that all furniture was specific to each room and could not be moved. When I specified I asked for just one more night table, I was told each room only has two night tables. I corrected him that no, this room had only one night table, and I told him I didn’t even care if another one matched--the ladies needed drawerss. He said he would see what he could do. I never heard from anyone again until I myself checked back later that afternoon. So I had to explain it all over again as the word had not been passed from one shift to the other, and if the request was determined to not be able to be accommodated, no one bothered to tell me. So after a few more phone calls, I was told by Joy who was very nice about everything, but informed me her checking around revealed there was nothing else in the whole hotel that had drawers in it that could be placed in the ladies' room. Please keep in mind, this is a luxury hotel in the Western world with tiny rooms at an average of $583 per night (breakfast, internet, and taxes included) that had no chest of drawers to start with, and they still could not even find a night table (which is all that would have fit anyway) to accommodate a guest request. So I gave up trying and apologized to my family. Next, there is no breakfast buffet at this Sofitel where they also cook eggs and waffles to order, which was a nice feature we’d seen at all other Sofitel’s at which we’ve stayed. One employee told me they never had a buffet at this location, and another told me they used to have it but got rid of it. Either way, it's not up to Sofitel standards. I was told by the server that guests with breakfast included must present their breakfast vouchers and order from the normal breakfast menu. They are "allowed" one entrée, one bread, one hot beverage, and one cold beverage. Really now, we don’t even see this practiced at budget hotels right off the interstate that serve breakfast. Also, the breakfast room, bar, and restaurant area are all basically using the same space; not a big deal, but this can be misleading given a look at the website. In fact, the website features two very nice day and night pictures of what look like a lounge/bar terrace on a high floor with a stunning view of the Empire of the State Building. So I asked “Where is the place in the hotel pictures that has this view; we’d like to go have a drink or coffee?” and was told with a laugh that the picture is of a private terrace and I’d have to book one of the specialty suites. Anyway, at breakfast (remember, we paid $70 more per night for this) the first morning, my mother-in-law ordered a waffle, and a single fried egg. The server told us the egg would be extra and there would be a charge for it. I told him okay, but that seemed very petty for the rate we paid. To demonstrate my point, I asked if that was the case in accounting for food, would we be reimbursed for the breakfasts that we did not eat on the last day due to early departure. Of course we know the answer to that. So I then asked for an assortment of breads to be brought for the table (another thing offered at all other Sofitels we’d stayed at) and was told we could pick our choice of one bread with the entrée, and that if I wanted an assortment, I’d have to purchase the Continental breakfast or use that as my entrée. This was also pretty ridiculous to me for this style of hotel. So on the bill, which came to $4.00 for the egg, I wrote a note that “Breakfast was paid for with the room and I’m not paying $4.00 for one egg” to go with a single waffle, and crossed it off, still leaving a tip for the breakfast that we paid for with the room rate. I also made mention of this point to the front desk along with the lack of drawers and space in general. They did adjust the bill, and for the rest of the trip they offered an assortment of breads for us to see and choose from. While we could certainly afford the bread and the egg, this was about principle--and I hope they adjust how they do breakfast. So that’s the bad; now here is some of the good. The food was tasty indeed, with the French press coffee always outstanding and plentiful. The croissants are excellent too. We did have a light dinner there also on one day and dessert on another day. Yes, it was pricy but we didn’t mind paying for quality (and simply expected it from a Sofitel). The French onion soup was particularly good. The service all over the hotel was excellent as far as employees attitudes and politeness go, save for the lack of communication I already covered. The housekeeping service was excellent, including an evening turn down service. She (housekeeper) was always pleasant and worked hard to ensure the rooms were clean. Knowing the building was old (which understandably limits the size of the rooms), I’ll add the bathrooms had a glass shower separate from the tub and were fairly spacious; probably renovated at one point to take up living space originally part of the rest of the room). There was no ventilation in the bathrooms and what seemed to be exhaust fans at one time had been disabled in both rooms—not a big deal but just be prepared. The mirror had a nice light frame around it and a make up mirror, and the vanity was cultured marble. There was plenty of counter space for both of us in the room to place our things, and a nice glass shelf above the counter that provided more space. The A/C has a digital thermostat that was accurate and the A/C itself was not noisy in the least. The room was very quiet and the beds were very plush and comfortable (but don’t forget this is what we had to slide over so the lamp wasn’t right over and basically sitting atop the bed). The toiletries were plentiful and very nice quality, and the housekeeper left one bottle of Evian water per day for us (but the tap water was clean and cold and fresh tasting too). The lobby was gorgeous with fresh cut flowers and a stack of USA Today newspapers were offered at the elevators every day. The concierge was courteous and helpful, and the front desk staff was very efficient. We checked out at 5:15am and they knew we were coming and had the folio all printed and ready. Very impressive-nice tough that does not go unnoticed. All in all, our stay was very nice overall after the initial issues and inconveniences that we just had to put up with. But it was our previous consistently good experiences with Sofitels all over the world that gave us the highest expectations and led us to believe this location would be just as good (if not better). Well, without good reason, our expectations turned out to be unfounded. Was it a nice place? Sure. Was our room way too small and not like other hotels, even in Europe. Yes. Would we stay here again at this specific location knowing what we know now about it and knowing what we paid? No, most likely not, at least not until I look at other comparable hotels in the area first. Simply, it was not up to the standards of the other Sofitels in my opinion. The small rooms (small even for Europe) and initial pettiness over breakfast were real turn-offs, but they did fix the latter. However, did they fix it just to appease me or were things changed for all guests now and in the future? Given all the above, my overall take is this is a 4-star hotel at best, but it is sized to house a 3-star hotel, with petty extra charges that should not ever happen--this is squarely on management policies. It is important enough to mention again that the room you expect from the website description and pictures is not necessarily what you will get. Not to mention, they may not be capable of coming through on basic things like any drawer space at all—that should never have been an issue in the first place. Our room should have been sold as a Superior King and I really hope the other rooms are not as small. So yes, this experienced traveler and person who's been to hotels all over the world and ranks Sofitel among the best, I suggest you love Sofitel, just not here in NYC compared to the other locations. For the money, look somewhere else first as while the proximity to shops, sights, dining, and entertainment is great, there are plenty of other hotels in the area. But I do want to ensure you understand the employees were very good overall. It's a shame they didn't have more to work with facility-wise, and have to enforce what may be some awkward practices for breakfast, extra charges, etc.

Room Tip: On day of arrival, follow up on any special request for your room (e.g. high floor, rooms near each...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Fred_Brandon
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed at Sofitel NY two nights, May 3 - 5, 2014. The hotel is very centrally located, easy walk to subway stations, Bryant Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. The lobby is very nicely appointed with plenty of seating. Staff is very service-oriented and eager to please. Many French accents, which are lovely to listen to!

We had a "classic" room - one queen bed on 9th floor. Very clean and tastefully decorated. By NYC standards, it was quite spacious for two people. Had room to keep our two suitcases out without having them in a walkway. Bed itself and the bedding were clean and very comfortable/cozy. Bathroom was also spacious (for NYC) and included a sink w/ large counter, shower and a separate tub. Our room, 914, was very quiet. I din

We bought this room on Priceline, and I could not be more pleased with the value we got for the price. I would stay here again anytime. Highly recommend.

1 Thank WhitefishBay
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you find our staff professional and friendly, that you enjoyed our very convenient location in the heart of Manhattan and the spacious and comfy bedroom.

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Very nice hotel and as all Sofitel tastefully decorated, keeping the French theme with a lot of French staff and guests. Great location 2 mins from 5th Avenue, 5 mins from Grand Central and 10 mins from Empire State and Time Square. Breakfast is good and plentiful and served to you not buffet style. Does have gym and restaurant but used neither. Not cheap but it is a nice hotel and in the centre of New York so it is to be expected, would I stay again..Yes.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York. We are delighted that you had a great experience, that you enjoyed our quiet property, and our central location.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York for another stay. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.