“As expected”

Sofitel New York
Ranked #69 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This hotel was awesome from the staff to the room. It met every expectation I had and the attached restaurant even exceeded what I expected in some ways. The staff is willing to help out and direct you anywhere you want to go, and the recommendations are excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at the Sofitel New York; that you enjoyed our staff professionalism and the different amenities. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sofitel New York Team

Write a ReviewReviews (6,660)

Reviewed January 16, 2014

we always stay here. very good service, excelent concierge desk.
centrally located on 44 th street , close to all the shopping areas
walking distance
rooms are extraordinary and sleep quality is 10 out of 10

Room Tip: get a corner room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the interest in the Sofitel New York and for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York. We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property, the different amenities we offer and that you enjoyed our central location.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel New York for another “excelent” stay. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We have been visiting NYC for our anniversary for years. We stay at the Sofitel because we like the location and the rooms. Being frequent guests we always request a high floor. This trip we were offered a room on the 14th floor which we did not find optimal. The desk clerk offered us a jr suite on the 25th floor for $100 more. These are lovely rooms as we have stayed in them before so we took it. This is the first time we have ever felt disappointed in the front desk staff. We realize not all requests can be granted but she came across unfriendly. Our suite was fabulous and the clerk did surprise us with a wonderful anniversary dessert delivered to our room. All in all we had an amazing weekend with enjoyable views of the city.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay at the Sofitel New York. We are delighted that you enjoyed our central location and to know that you found the room
"fabulous".
We thank you for choosing the Sofitel New York for this specific occasion.
We are sorry for the inconvenient you went through because of the desk staff. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem

Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York for another stay.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We spent the weekend in NYC and decided on Sofitel because of the central location.It's two minutes away from Grand Central and the same two minutes from Times Square.
Rooms are large, clean with nice bathrooms.Comfortable beds.There is no fridge in the room, just the bar one, but there is ice on the ice machine.we were upgraded to a higher floor and the view from the 23-th was quite spectacular.
Didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but there is a "Au bon pain" very close.
Great choice in NYC.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Orly68

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a positive review following your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property and the spacious bedroom.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel New York. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

everything was as expected (except the very cold weather:-)) perfect location, clean and nice room - hotel, friendly people, free internet, very good breakfast. I didn't find something to suggest! Next time we will again stay there

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Reviewed January 13, 2014

First of all, I am a very experienced and international traveler both for business and for leisure. In addition, I am very experienced and fond of the Sofitel brand. As a former Accor Platinum member I have stayed in Sofitels all across the world (Buenos Aires, Brussels, Bangkok, Krabi, Paris, Vienna and in NYC). So I know what to expect from a Sofitel branded hotel and as I also stayed in quite some Mandarin Orientals, I know what the benchmark is, in this range of hotels. As I was told by a Sofitel GM, that Sofitel wants tom compete with the Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Ritz, etc range. In addition, I have extensive hospitality experience across Europe and South-East Asia.

With my Accor points and as a Platinum member at that time, I arranged a stay with my earned Accor points. We stayed in New York for 4 nights total, as I had some point left, I first stayed for 3 nights at the JW Marriott Essex House at Central Park, we were at the Sofitel New York for 1 night.

After having a great experience at the JW Marriott, expectations were high for the Sofitel New York. Not only because of the Sofitel brand, but also because of the top 10 position on Tripadvisor at the time (April 2013).

Arriving
The lobby of the hotel looks exact as in the pictures, nicely done Art Deco. It is close to Times Square. First impression is that although there are a lot of doormen, nobody cares to take the luggage out of the cab. At the reception desk, service is not great either, although we arrive at 3 PM the room is not ready, however she will give me a call on my cell when when the room is available. Also, as a platinum Accor member at the time, no upgrade or pro-actively offered a welcome drink. At 5 PM I still did not get a message about the room, so I called myself.

Staying
The room was nicely done, has the Sofitel chique and is very big for NYC standards. Bigger than my upgraded room at the JW Marriott Essex house. Also the bathroom, shower and especially the bed is great. Next day at breakfast there was a huge line, and it was very hectic. Waiters were very unfriendly, we had to wait for 2 min before seated and after 30 min we got our a-la-carte breakfast, which was nice by the way, but the overall experience was not what I am used to at Sofitel. Especially for a Sofitel in NYC, you expect something better.

Leaving
Again a bit of arrogant attitude when checking out, but again no recognition or appreciation of my Accor status at that time. Overall in terms of service and experience in this price range, I expected more. Especially comparing to my Sofitel experiences.

Now comes the GOOD part!
Back home in the Netherlands I got an automated feedback form, which I filled out in a honest and detailed way. As I know that in most Sofitels the GM's read this feedback. And guess what? After a couple of days I got a personal e-mail from mr Jorge Tito, the GM. He apologised and recognised my feedback. He even invited my for a personal conf call to have a short conversation. During that conversation he offered my a free stay for one night including breakfast as a gesture to compensate for my bad experience.

This shows again, feedback it truly a gift! From both sides! Other hotel owners / GMs can learn from this, as feedback from your customers is so important to improve your business.

So I am back in January for a longer stay! I've arranged a package deal directly with the PA of the GM. So within a month I hope I can leave and "excellent" feedback on Tripadvisor! I will definitely write a very detailed review on Tripadvisor again to share my Sofitel experience again!

About this reviewer:

I hope this review will help you in your travel. My reviews are objective, independent and unbiased. This reviewer is an experienced international traveler, especially across Europe and South East Asia; check my profile and other reviews! Please do contact me for any additional information or clarification! And please check out my other reviews.

---------------------------------------------
Platinum Elite, SPG Gold member, Marriott Gold Elite and A | Club (Sofitel) (fomer) Platinum member

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andres_Boot
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I just stayed here for 2 nights and I really regret staying just for a short time. I would definitely want to stay here again this year because I loved everything about the hotel. The hotel itself very great plus great employees, ITS THE BEST!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo