“Fantastic hotel - amazing location”
Review of Sofitel New York

Ranked #64 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for my birthday trip for 4 nights. The location of the hotel was excellent for tourists - most of the major attractions were within walking distance, e.g. Rockefeller, Times Square, 5th avenue, Broadway... The hotel concierge were very helpful, in particular the guy at the door who called taxis for us. The room was extremely comfortable, it was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. We were on the 20th floor and had a great view from our room. The hotel had some lovely little touches like chocolates and bottles of Evian in your room every day. Our room was very quiet and we could not hear city noise, nor other guests. There was free wifi throughout, which was very useful. We didn't use the bar or restaurant, as we preferred to explore the city, so I can't comment on this. We had a late flight out and they offered to give us a late check out at 2pm with no hassle - we didn't even have to ask for this. Other hotels I have stayed in have charged extra for this, so this was another nice touch. I actually can't think of anything they could have done to improve our stay! A great choice.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
2  Thank GemmaandKieranSmith
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York for your birthday trip and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed our central location as well as the comfort of your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that your next visit will be as pleasing as the previous one.

Sofitel New York Team

Reviewed August 26, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Bianca F

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Superb hotel and service. Concierge service always ready to help. Luxury room in excelent location to times square activities ( two blocks). Expensive breakfast, plenty of options nearby. Would stay again over and over...

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Lhsr2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I'm not easy to please, so a five star review from me is an accomplishment (compare my recent review of Uncle Jack's Steakhouse, which was horrendous).

I am currently halfway through a six-night stay at Sofitel NYC and it has been truly excellent. I am probably repeating information from previous reviews, so let me do so in summary form:

-Nice, large modern bathroom (including separate shower, essential for me).

-Good size by NYC standards, with plenty of room for our excess luggage on an extended trip

-Very clean (big contrast to my recent stay at Sofitel Beverly Hills, which was disgusting)

-Good location. Having lived in NYC for many years, I would prefer a downtown location away from the tourist hordes, but my wife loves the location as a first-time visitor, so overall it's excellent. Still far enough from the Times Square madhouse for some serenity.

-Quiet. I mean REALLY quiet, which is a rarity in Manhattan.

-Great service. Some of the best I have experienced, despite my somewhat jaded expectations after spending too much time in NYC.

Nice balance of traditional and modern, with a stylish yet cozy lobby and similar experience in the rooms.

Reliable wifi. Not the fastest, but reliability is for more important for my purposes (work, not video streaming).

Non-smoking hotel. Nothing turns me off more than a stale, smelly room.

Overall, Sofitel checks all the right boxes and I have found nothing to complain about, which makes it an outstanding choice and my new go-to hotel for future stays in Manhattan.

3  Thank Eppic_Sing

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel New York on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and that we are your new go-to hotel in New York.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I was in NYC for only two days and wanted convenience to maximize my stay. Found a deal through jet setter Everyone was incredibly polite and helpful. The room was nice, some added luxury - slippers, robes and candles. Excellent location. Easy to navigate the sites I wanted to see. Only negative bad view. Separate shower and tub. Was greeted each and every time I went through the lobby. I only ate breakfast -- room service. Could have fed two on the breakfast. I would stay here again without the Jetsetter.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MarylandAndrea

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I lucked out on this hotel through a hotwire bid. I can't say enough about the Sofitel. The staff were nice and over the top helpful. The room was so lovely. We had a basic room, but it felt 5 star. Crisp clean white sheets, with a feather duvet top instead of a top sheet. (So amazing) The bathroom had a separate shower and bath with fantastic soap amenities. I wanted (and meant to) to take a big bottle of them home. We had never been to NYC before and this was the perfect location to make our way around town. The staff made us feel comfortable taking the subway with flawless instructions. Wish we could stay in another Sofitel soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mommyKathyE
GMOffices, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear guest,
We are delighted that you had a great experience at Sofitel during your first stay in New York.
Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectation and we thank you for taking the time to share your story.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Sofitel. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.

Sincerely yours,
Sofitel New York Team

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This must be one of the finest hotels in New York city. I spent one night on this hotel because I booked it at Room Mate Grace and when I arrived there the staff at reception was rude and pretended I wasn't there. After a few minutes when they finished playing around I finally told them I had a reservation and they looked surprised and told me they had no room for me. So they tried to fix the problem and sent me to this hotel - Sofitel -, where I had to go by walk with all my luggage. It turned out to be a good experience because I didn't have to pay the difference that was big.
The staff at Sofitel was much different - very nice and competent.
It was very pleasant to enter a room with the sound of the radio playing classical music and see how big and comfortable it was.
It is expensive, but it is great.
The location is good also

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear guest,

We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay at the Sofitel New York and that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the classical music playing. Your feedback is very important to us and we thank you for providing it.