“Perfect location”

Sofitel New York
Ranked #74 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a great hotel in a perfect location for Times Square & Fifth Ave, shops, theatres etc. The check in was efficient and all the staff were very helpful. The bedroom was spacious with a good bathroom with bath and separate shower. The reception seated area is a great place to chill and relax and the Bridgette Bardot photo exhibition was an added bonus (nov 2012). This was our first time with Sofitel but we will be using them again and would always recommend them following this stay.

Room Tip: Don't worry about paying for a view if you are here to see NYC get out there and do it. Don'...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
GMOfficeNewYork, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding your stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of the room and the separate bathtub and shower. Gladly you were able to see our Brigitte Bardot exhibition which just ended in January.
We are looking forward to your return at the Sofitel New York very soon.
Sofitel New York.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,723)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have been using this hotel for my business and pleasure visits to New York for several years. It started out very good and I recommended many people to stay there. I have just returned home after a 5 night stay and have to say that standards have slipped. Worn carpet, dirty bottles in the bar, variable service, but I do have a major complaint and want to warn anyone thinking of staying at this hotel. Being an A Club member I booked my stay on-line back in early January. When I arrived to check in I could sense there was a problem as the uncommunicative young French girl behind the counter was tapping away, frowning and not saying much to me. She eventually said she couldn't find a booking, so I produced a print of the confirming email. She then asked if I booked it in another name? No I said, read the email, then she said did I book it yesterday, no I said look at the email. At that point my colleague being checked in by someone else was told that the hotel was full that night (I was particularly concerned as my wife was flying in to join me later that evening). I was then told she would have to go see the manager, clearly this was not improving my mood. She then came back with what I assume was a supervisor and they proceeded to put in all my dates and rates into their system and the only comment to me was that it was lucky I had printed the email! I guess it is lucky as if I hadn't then I am confident they would have sent me away, despite being shown on their system as regular guest. There was no apology that there system had messed up and it was implied that it was somehow not their problem. I was and am angry at the lack of information and apology I was given and the way I was treated by the check-in staff. So my warning to anyone reading this is; DO NOT RELY ON THEIR ON-LINE RESERVATION SYSTEM, EVEN IF YOU GET FOLLOW UP EMAILS - ALWAYS CALL THEM TO CONFIRM THE BOOKING AND TAKE A PRINT OUT OF THE EMAIL, OR PREFERABLY DO NOT USE THEIR ON LINE SYSTEM AT ALL SO THAT THEY FIX IT.

To add insult to injury I had used my A Club points on some vouchers that would off set the cost of my stay. I gave these to someone on the front desk the day before I checked out, and guess what, when I checked out they weren't on my account. I was asked who I had given them to! am I supposed to take names now when I use the Front Desk? After another period of frowning and tapping and what I assume was another visit to the manager I was at last given the privilege of receiving the discount due to me, it turns out that my vouchers had been credited to another room. So basically checking in and out were terrible experiences and ones that have put me off ever going back to this hotel. I would also add that I asked for a quiet room due to being a light sleeper (my usual request) and was given a room a low floor that was next to service elevator, I guess this was so that we could enjoy the sound of the garbage trucks at 4am every morning and the sound of the service elevator fire door opening and closing what seemed like dozems of times as breakfasts were delivered to rooms from 6am. Thanks Sofitel, you really know how to make a regular guest feel special.

The Algonquin Hotel is less than a 100 yards away and has just been refurbed. A colleague stayed there last week and said it was great. I think I know where I will be spending my money in future.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms to reduce the traffic noise and avoid the service elevator doors which are right...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank PTEv
GMTito, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel New York. We are sincerely sorry that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel and I am sure you have experienced otherwise you wouldn’t be a regular as you are. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem.
We regret that your experience with reception was not at the level we normally perform and I want to apologize for that, the lack of apologies at the time is a concern and I can assure you that we will review our training in a way we won’t repeat it again in the future. I can guarantee that our system is reliable and you can continue doing your reservations in our system.
Again, please accept our apologies. We hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel New York again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known around the world.

Jorge Tito

Reviewed February 11, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had stayed here previously a few years ago and holds a special place for us as we got engaged on that visit.

We decided to come back for a 40th birthday in January 2013 and booked the Sofitel again as the hotel was great last time.

We were not disappointed. On arrival from UK, we got there before the allowed check in time but the reception quickly found us a room. There was a little mix up on the floor location as we wanted a view (I was hoping for the Chrysler view but we didnt get it !) but was quickly fixed.

What can I say about the bed.... it is like getting into a cloud. After a hard day walking it is the BEST bed I have ever slept in ever.

Also many thanks for the bottle of champagne and the chocolate cake on my birthday.

Staff were kind and courteous and this time we also went in the bar which was warm and welcoming and alot cheaper than the bars in the immediate area.

It is very well located but just far enough away from the spectacle of Times Square. Also close to Grand Central and Bryant Park.

Cant wait to come back to NYC and will defintely be staying here again.

Annie and Stephen

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Annie and Stephen,
We are delighted to hear that you got engaged at the Sofitel New York and that you chose to come back for your 40th Birthday. It was a pleasure to offer you a bottle of Champagne and a box of chocolate to make this day memorable!
We apologize for the floor confusion but we are happy you finally got a room with a nice view on the Chrysler Building.
We are really looking forward to your return.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hotel Sofitel is perfectly located in downtown Manhattan, close to Times Square and 5th Avenue. Reception is discreet and efficient. Rooms are perfectly sized with wonderful bedding and well appointed bathrooms. For me, this is THE best choice for a perfect stay in New York's business district.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
GMOfficeNewYork, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for this lovely review regarding your recent stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted you enjoyed our very central location in the heart of Manhattan. We are glad you feel that Sofitel New York is the best choice for your trip.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Great place to stay, whether on business or holiday, while in NYC. Perfect location in mid town, close to shopping, theatres and good dinning establishments.

Rooms are very comfortable and the hotel is of a size, which offers a more personalised service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear guests,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted you appreciated our very central location in the heart of the City. We are glad you enjoyed the quality of service we are offering with a special care to the needs of all our guests.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

A haven to return to after long very cold days sightseeing. The staff were very welcoming and polite, especially on reception. We asked for a coffee/tea maker in the room and they delivered. Our suite was a good size and included a beautiful bathroom with equally beautiful toiletries from Hermes. The bed and linen - WOW.
Seemed to be very much a business hotel, but that was not a problem, infact it was a blessing. We loved Sofitel - New York and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beeparsons27

Dear guests,
Thank you very much for this wonderful review regarding your recent stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted you enjoyed the comfort of the room and the French toiletries from Hermès.
We are glad you mentioned that we are offering coffee/tea maker in the room upon requests.
We are really looking forward to your return, during your future trip to New York.
Sofitel New York