“Best experience with Manhattan Hotel yet!”
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #66 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Best experience with Manhattan Hotel yet!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was lucky enough to be able to book a room here for two nights with a very great rate through a third party booking travel site during hurricane Sandy. I was pleasantly pleased with the top notch service and the ultra clean and roomy room here.

As chaotic as things were in NYC during the hurricane, I was always getting amazing service and peace of mind. Their emergency plans were clearly drawn. All guests were well informed of what to expect and what to do during the storm. They even had a nice dinner buffet for hotel guests so we don't have to come out and search for restaurants when the storm was in full blast.

The room we stayed in were very spacious and clean. Hotel staffs were very professional, friendly and extremely helpful.

Best hotel I've stayed at in NYC yet. I'd definitely come back here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thuy N
GMOffices, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guests,

It was a pleasure having you as our guests during Hurricane Sandy, we are the third party you went through have been able to book a room for you at the Sofitel New York. Despite the terrible situation, we are delighted to hear you had a great time with us and enjoyed the buffet we set up for our guests.
Thank you very much again for your lovely review,
We are really looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We enjoyed staying at the Sofitel this summer when visiting New York City. It's location is amazing, just a few blocks away from Times Square. The location of the hotel is in a quiet area and then we were able to walk to Times Square as well as other parts of the city. The hotel is extremely beautiful. We were surprised when we walked in our room! It was cozy, high end and comfortable. The bathroom was fabulous! The staff was very courteous. We enjoyed our stay and would return if visiting New York again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted you really enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and of location of the hotel in the heart of the City.
We really hope to welcome you on your future trip in New York.
Jamestown, New York, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was impressed on how well it was appointed, attention to detail was very impressive as well! I will not hesitate to return.
It was well located to transportation to just about anywhere. Very easy to get a taxi as well. I also loved that it was very easy to walk to all types of restaurants. The views of the city were absolutely breathtaking .

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, more private as well as a little more spacious .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GMOffices, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely comment regarding your recent stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted to hear you had a really nice stay with us and enjoyed the convenience of our location, in the very center of Manhattan.
We are looking forward to your return on your next trip,
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at Sofitel New York last night, November 4th, & had an amazing stay! I checked in with a lovely Asian girl who was very warm, polite & spoke beautiful French- she was fantastic at her job & was a wonderfu first welcome to a really lovely hotel!

I stayed in a Classic Queen room (#714) on the 7th floor. The room was very warm & cozy & was the perfect size- small, but ideal for 1 person. The bed was heavenly- super pillows, soft sheets & an amazing mattress- one of the beds hotel beds I've ever experienced! I also loved the attention to detail in the room- a small spray of Orchids in the bathroom, complimentary bottled Evian water by the bed & little smoothie shooters at breakfast that were delicious! MY room didn't have a view except for a side street behind the hotel, but was still quiet. However, I couldn hear voices from the room next to me, so the walls were a bit thin, but this did not last for long, so I was fine. The carpet was soft to the touch, the Flat screen TV had a small amount of channels with decent picture quality, the towels & robes were amazing, & all amenities in the room, from the toiletries, to the candle, to the furnishing were great! The Grohe rain shower was also lovely!

I ordered room service a few times, & the Caesar Salad, Warm chocolate cake, & Ice Tea are all amazing!

Everyone was polite & overall, the hotel was very quiet & filled with beautiful flower displays! The Internet was complimentary, but extremely slow- just something to note. Overall, I loved the Sofitel & would strongly recommend the property!~

Best,
Patrick Winkler

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Mr Winkler,
Thank you very much to taking the time to write this valuable comment, we really appreciate the detailed review you left on Trip Advisor.
We are glad to hear you had a lovely first impression thanks to our receptionist May. We are very pleased you appreciated the amenities which are displayed in the rooms.
We are looking forward to your return at the Sofitel New York.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Better late than never, i spent 7 nights at the Sofitel New York and although the property is pricey, i managed to get a good deal and as i was travelling solo, I decided to treat myself to the Sofitel......it wasn't disappointed at all.
Check in went smooth and i was placed in a good sized room, but with a view of a wall, i wasn't after an exceptional view, but i was spending 7 nights there and would like to know whether it was sunny or raining out... :-) I went downstairs to reception and was greeted by Albert who did everything in his power to change rooms for me, the very next day my bags were moved for me to room 1912, with a view facing 45th street, which was fine by me.
Now let the review begin.......What can i say, i absolutely loved my stay at the Sofitel.
My room was large for Ny standards and one of the most comfiest beds ive slept in, the tv worked well, but i only ever turned it on to check the weather in the mornings......forecast...Hot all week.......yeah !
Enough table space to work on if need be, i was given free wifi upon check in,which is a bonus anywhere and there were two comfy chairs, a great bose soundsystem to wake upto in the morning. The bathroom was big and the walk in shower was huge, could easily fit two people, and if you didn't feel like a shower, then you had a big tub to soak your feet in after a long days walking the city. The vanity unit was large and housed all the amenities you require, including hairdryer etc. The room was serviced on a daily basis, fresh clean towels and there was a turndown of an evening.
After reading some of the other reviews about the unfriendly staff, i was a little concerned, but this was not the case with my stay. I can't tell you how wonderful and friendly Albert from the front desk was, i was greeted each day with a big ole smile, asking me how my stay was and if there was anything he could do to make it better. The bell boys were great, mainly Ithiel and William, those fellas know their city. As i was a single female travelling on my own, they always had great advice for me, fantastic tips etc.....they are great value to this hotel.
As for location, the Sofitel is placed is far enough away from the crowds, but close enough to walk to all attractions. You are two short blocks away from Times Square and a 5 min walk to Grand Central Station, with lots of subway stops in between, you are literally a 5-10min to Rockerfeller centre and a stones throw away from Bryant Park.
All in all, i had a great 7 days at the Sofitel New York and if i was to return to nyc and could get a good deal would definately stay here.
I just want to thank Albert, Ithiel and William for making my stay at the Sofitel NY a great stay....would highly recommend this place

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sofitel New York. We greatly appreciate your comments and the time taken to share them on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted you had such a memorable stay and are very pleased to hear such nice word about Albert, Ithiel and William. It is a pleasure to share your comment with them.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you back very soon at the Sofitel New York.
london
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in late October (before Hurricane). Rooms were well furnished with large bed, large TV, bed was very comfortable and room very quiet (soundproofing seemed good) and very well maintained, but room was rather small, bath very shallow, but large shower. Staff on front desk/maid etc very polite and efficient. Location is great and lobby is nicely furnished. Room was quite expensive, but where isn't in Mid-Town?

Only problem we had was on leaving. We had been given a 2 hour extension on our room and had to store our bags with the concierge for just over an hour while we went shopping before leaving for JFK airport. On returning to collect our bags and take the (expensive) hotel-organised limo we were made to wait 15 minutes to retrieve our bags. The concierge was too interested in talking on his telephone (attached to his ear) than talking to real people - we we told he could not help, we had to wait for a bellboy, so with a queue of several others we had to wait. We were made to feel very unwanted and slightly uncomfortable.

I would have recommended this hotel without reservation had it not been for the rudeness and arrogance of the concierge.

Room Tip: new restaurant 'Strip House' 3 door's up is very good, as is 'Flames' diner for...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Sofitel New York. We are sincerely sorry that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel.
We regret that you experienced inattentive service. We strive for the highest level of professionalism. While that individual does not reflect our philosophy or the way we train our staff, we are very concerned that you did not receive the exemplary service you deserve.
Again, please accept our apologies. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and the location of the hotel in the very center of the city. We hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel New York again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.
New York, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I spent one night at the hotel during Hurricane Sandy, when I lost power at my home. I'm an Accor Gold level member, and they upgraded me to a very nice room on the 22nd floor. I have to admit I was agitated that I had to wait until 2pm to check in, because I wanted to recharge my phone and get some work done on my computer. But the delay was caused by them trying to find me the best room available--comfortable and quiet. The room was all that.

I've stayed at many other Sofitels around the world, but this is my new favorite. Of course, it's quite expensive and breakfast wasn't included (typical for most Sofitels). I live in NYC and hope that we don't have another situation where I'm forced to stay at a hotel--but if it happens, this hotel is a nice port in the storm.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank john23
Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure having you as our guests during Hurricane Sandy. We are happy to have been able to upgrade you and make your stay with us enjoyable despite of what was happening outside.
Thank you very much again for recommending our hotel.
Sincerely