“High quality, very expensive,”
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #65 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ascot, United Kingdom
“High quality, very expensive,”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as it is conveniently located next to our HO in NYC. I was upgraded to a suite (this is the first time in many stays there that I have been upgraded) on 27th floor. Room was outstanding. Much better than basic room. Bed, space, ambience were all excellent. However the price, nearly 500 dollars after taxes seems excessive for a hotel with no special features and not worth it for a bed for the night. The bar is pleasant but nothhing special. The restaurant is pleasant but nothing special and the prices are ridiculous. I have eaten many times in the restaurant. Again quality is excellent however prices are crushing.

Room Tip: There are many hotels in NYC that are better at the same price. Top end should mean top end features...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin M
Magali S, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank very much for sharing your experience at the Sofitel New York. We really appreciate the very nice comment you leave about our facilities, and we are glad you enjoyed the upgrade.
We regret that you considered our room rate too high. However we believe that we are competitive in the market and we always look for being within the market prices, September is a month with a lot of events like Fashion Week or the UNGA with a high demand and consequently increasing prices.
For your future trip in New York, during those kinds of periods, we will suggest you to book a room in advance to benefit of nice special offers.

We hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel New York, for your future visit in the City.

Magali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Metro Washington DC Area
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We recently stayed here for my son's first trip to NYC. The location is absolutely fantastic. Close enough to Times Square for my son's liking, far enough away for our liking. It was a wonderful hotel to come back to after spending 8+ hour traipsing around the city. The room was spotless and the maid did a great job. The cot for my son was a little saggy - but it was better than having him squeeze into bed with us. The concierge staff was very patient with all of our questions. My only complaint is that a pre-theater dinner reservation wasn't initially made, but a concierge on duty later quickly took care of that. We got a great deal through the hotel's website - I don't know if I'd be so enthusiastic at the $600+ per night some other reviewers mention. I will definitely be back on my next trip to NY.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KristinaR007
Magali S, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Sofitel New York. You are pleased to hear your son and yourselves enjoyed the location of the hotel, right in the middle of Manhattan.
However, please accept again our apologies for the pre-theater dinner reservation, but I am delighted to hear our concierge find a great solution for you.
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon at the Sofitel New York.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a nice place but in my view overpriced. I spent one night in this hotel last week and found it comfortable. The room was spacious enough, comfortable and clean, and I don't really have a negative thing to say about this hotel. However, you would not expect the room rate at way over $600 per night. I have stayed in many hotels in NY and find the price is not justified. There are better alternatives with comparable rooms and luxury, at lower rates.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Cathrin_78_Summer
GMTito, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel New York. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations.
We regret that you considered the value for money ratio unsatisfactory, we believe that we are competitive in the market and we always look for being within the market prices, I would suggest that next time you book in advance and I am sure you will find better offers. September is a month with a lot of events in the city and with a high demand and consequently prices increase.
We hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel New York again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known around the world.

Jorge Tito
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We booked the Softel because of all the positive reviews and for it's great location. We were not disappointed at all. The foyer and reception area is very well laid out and decorated beautifully. The staff were very polite and courteous, check-in-check out was a breeze and we also got upgraded to a superior room. The room was spacious enough and the bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was very clean with a great walk-in shower and bathtub.
The Gaby bar was also very nice and a great place to have a relaxing drink to finish the day off. We would definitely consider staying here again. The hotel is advertised as a luxury hotel and in many ways it was, but one small observation was that the iron and ironing board were quite cheap and if you leaned too hard the pattern from the board pressed through onto your clothes. Slightly annoying. However I suppose I'm being a bit nitpicky. Overall we had a lovely relaxing stay and had a ball visiting all that Manhattan has to offer.

Room Tip: Rooms facing either way are very quiet. We had no issues at all with excess noise levels.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David K
Magali S, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at the Sofitel New York.
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the reception and had a great experience with us despite the problem you encounter with the ironing board. We will let know the room department about your comment, which is very valuable for us.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon at the Sofitel New York.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2012

From the helpful, considerate staff (thank you, Roger) to the accommodations (oh those linens!) to the location, the Sofitel in midtown Manhattan is the perfect place to rest your weary body after a day in the city. Even with the ever-present city noise (there were even jackhammers outside the hotel the day we were there), the interior of the hotel was quiet, refined and relaxing. Loved our stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dallasbsb
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that Roger was a great help, we will share your great comments with him.
We are glad you enjoyed the calm the hotel offer in this great city!

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I need to clarify that I have not stayed at this location. I stayed at a nearby hotel on 44th that I didn't love and was looking for a hotel for a future trip. I walked to the front desk and asked about the room size. She immediately asked someone to show me 3 different rooms in the hotel. The young lady was so accommodating. It seems as if service was Impeccable at least by the desk staff. I was surprised to see negative reviews based on my experience. I saw the queen, king and a suite. All above the 16th floor. It was very quiet inside the rooms on the upper floors. They were clean with modern amenities. They were wonderful size by New York standards with generous bathrooms having showers and tubs. The prices were also within New York standards for this type of hotel. The lobby was elegant but also quiet. Perfect for business or personal travel. I have stayed all over the city and was excited to find this gem of a hotel....can't wait to stay here.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rsprenk
Magali S, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write this really nice comment, especially while you did not stay with us.
We are delighted to see we made such a great impression to you and we are really looking forward to welcoming you very soon, and showing you the service for which we are known around the world.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have stayed at the Sofitel on 3 occasions and have always enjoyed my stay.

The location is excellent, within walking distance of many sights. The staff have always been helpful and nothing seems like too much trouble.

On one occasion, it was my Birthday when I visited and I arrived back to my room to discover complimentary chocolates, a Birthday card and a small bottle of bubbly - very kind and unexpected.

The hotel restaurant was lovely but quite expensive and I would recommend eating out for breakfast.

The standard rooms are on the small side but this is normal for New York. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite on one visit and the views were amazing as we had a balcony though many rooms do not have great views due to the close proximity of other buildings.

Free wi-fi in lobby and plenty of seating to relax there too. Rooms clean and of good quality. Bathrooms in good condition.

I love this hotel and will always try to stay here when in New York. The only downside is the price as it is not the cheapest !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lou1905
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Sofitel New York for your Birthday celebration, we were very glad to be part of it, and it was our great pleasure to make that day special to you.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back for your future stay in New York.