“love LOVE love this hotel... BUT, DON'T EVER go to their restaurant...!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #63 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cape May, New Jersey
“love LOVE love this hotel... BUT, DON'T EVER go to their restaurant...!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

From the time we walked into the hotel until checking out, everyone EXCEPT the restaurant was great! The doorman, bellman, front desk receptionist... Outstanding! Came for our daughters 6th birthday and our first time in NY. We got the I love chocolate package. This is where I knew we would never eat here. No one greeted us so after standing for about 10 mins we go back up to the front desk and are told we seat ourselves. Maybe the waiter and hostess that walked by 3 or 4 times past us could have told us that. We finally seat ourselves and tell the hostess that we had the package, so she and the waiters assume thats all we wanted? No water, menu...nothing offered. My husband finally went to the bar to order... And that's when some waiter came by to offer help? I wanted them to at least brink a candle out to put in the mini cake but that would mean someone would come around to check on us. It must have been too busy with the 2 other guests seated at tables? Then to top it off, they actually tried to charge me? Then checking out, oh gosh, over 45 mins to wait for a bellman to help with our luggage? After calling down 3 times my husband decided to go find a cart himself. That was a little aggravating. Other than those 2 minor disappointments (well, the restaurant being a huge one because when we have stayed at other hotels, they have always acknowledged our daughters birthday and taken some part to participate in it).... We are staying here again for the Macy's Day Parade... I cannot wait! Hopefully the service at the restaurant will be better next time we are there, not for us, we refuse to eat there, but the other people who decided to go. The delay in baggage upon checkout, loved the location and the treatment of the hotel staff soooooo much, can overlook minor issues like that...!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank jocelyn_b1229
GMTito, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Although you had an enjoyable stay overall, there were two areas which we didn’t perform accordingly your expectations and our standards. We are sincerely sorry that it did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem.
Again, please accept our apologies.
We really appreciate your kind words about the bellmen, doormen and receptionist.
Looking forward to welcome you back at Sofitel. ( Macy’s Day Parade )

Jorge Tito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is the third time I've stayed at this hotel. It's steps away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square, but is a totally refined, elegant hotel, with excellent service and staff. The beds are great, and while the rooms are small, they're tastefully modern.

Great hotel. Love staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I had spent three weeks in NYC and wanted to end my trip staying at the Sofitel after spending the first week up at the Warwick on 54th and then later at the Soho Grand. I thought I'd try something closer to times square and the Sofitel definitely fitted the bill. Great location. Unfortunately we didn't get off to a great start, it seemed my reservation (booked and paid for 3 weeks prior) was not in the system. After a bit of messing around it seems a technical glitch had sent my reservation into the ether, however it was now found. Hooray. Unfortunately it was 12 pm and there was not a room ready, only one of level 3. I wasn't too keen on a 3rd level room (mainly concerned about noise rather than view) so reception suggested I leave my bags and come back after 3pm. No worries, as check in is 3pm so not a drama. Happily left my luggage and went off to lunch. Around 4pm I returned and finalized my check in for alas, that's right, a level 3 room. After explaining to receptionist #2 that I had already gone through this with the other lady, she apologized abruptly with " Well it is the only room". Not overly impressed, I took it as the booking was already paid for, but at this stage I was regretting moving from my previous hotel. Anyway, arrived in the room to find the safe was not working.. Hung about for 35 mins whilst the maintenance team fixed this up. (great work and service from them - they were very nice)

From there my stay improved. The room was very nice and the 3rd level was fine and free from street noise, which was great. The housekeeping staff and the door staff were all very helpful and great at their jobs. The bathroom was quite spacious and the shower was fabulous. The location of this hotel was also a bonus and very close to everything.

So all in all, was a good stay. I think that the service at checkin definitely wasn't the greatest quite abrupt and mildly disinterested, probably wasn't up to their usual standard, perhaps I caught them on a bad day?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMTito, General Manager at Sofitel New York, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel New York. We are sincerely sorry that your visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problems you found, reception service and the safe in the room, I can assure you that we will look after it in detail.
Again, please accept our apologies for all the inconvenience. I am glad that since you got in the room the level of the service provided had improved, and you enjoyed our Housekeeping Staff and Door staff. I am glad that you mention about being at the 3rd floor (our lowest floor) and you didn’t suffer from the street noise, I can tell you that this is a great feature in hotel in terms of construction. We hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel New York again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known around the world.

Jackson, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Just returned from a trip to NYC and this is my new favorite hotel. What a wonderful experience we had from the moment we checked in until we checked out! Our room was spacious with two "twin" beds that were more the size of a full bed. The comforter was luxurious and the beds were so comfortable. Hotel room was extremely clean and staff was always more than accommodating meeting each request we had. The bathroom was also spacious with fresh flowers, a soaking tub as well as a walk in shower. The bathroom floor was also marble and the amenities were from L'Occitane. Room was equipped with a safe and mini bar. Also, the Sofitel does have free wireless if you use their lower grade version. It worked fine for me as opposed to the high speed internet which costs $15.95 a day. We could not have asked for a better stay. We loved the warm welcoming lobby/lounge area and it was always filled with fresh flowers and the scent was wonderful. Staff was very attentive in that I was always welcomed to the hotel, doors were opened for me and if a staff member was near the elevator, they would always call it for me. The hotel is located between 5th and 6th Avenue. Its conveniently located on 44th Street. You are two short blocks from Grand Central Station, 1 long block from Times Square, 2 short blocks from Bryant Park and 6 short blocked from Rockefeller Center. Closest subway line is located at Bryant Park. Very convenient to the must sees of NYC. Thank you Sofitel for such a wonderful stay! I'm completely spoiled now.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Scoob1525
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

we are actually STILL staying in the hotel...! I love it here, from our first experience with the doorman to the room itself... the location... we just love it here... until last night... we walked into the Gaby restaurant, servers just walking past us so we went to the front desk to ask if we seat ourselves, wait...? who knows no one acknowledged us... then we seat ourselves so we tell one of the hostess we have the I love chocolate package, well I guess they just assumed we didn't want anything else... we couldn't even get a waiter to come over and take an order or give us water? so my husband had to go to the bar and order...! after he orders, then they ask if we need something... but they were quick to clear our table before we were done... overall, will stay at the hotel, not eat at the restaurant...! hopefully by the time next we stay here, they will work on their customer service at the restaurant...!

• Stayed January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time telling us about your experience at Sofitel New York,
I can see that when you wrote it you were still at the hotel, unfortunately when your review is posted is already late for us to meet you and apologize personally for the inconvenience you had, we really sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations about the poor service you received at Gaby. While that individual does not reflect our philosophy or the way we train our staff, we are very concerned that you did not receive the exemplary service you deserve. I have requested that our head of human resources institute a review of our training procedures.