“Excellent Hotel, plan to go back in June 2012”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sofitel New York

Sofitel New York
Ranked #66 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Hotel, plan to go back in June 2012”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Sofitel New York rates as one of the highest quality hotels we have ever stayed in. From check in, conceige service, breakfast, drinks, dinner and check out, this hotel couldn't be faulted. Having stayed at a disappointing world famous hotel in New York in 2010, we were delighted with the Sofitel New York. The location is fantastic being on 44th Street, I recommend this hotel highly

1 Thank winston90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic 7 night stay at the Sofitel. When checking in, I casually mentioned that we were celebrating our silver wedding, the staff at reception congratulated us and we thought no more of it. Upon returning to our room later that night, the hotel had left a lovely chocolate dessert and card, congratulating us, which was a very nice touch.
All the members of staff that we had contact with, were helpful, pleasant and polite.
The hotel has a fantastic location, located between 5th Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas, about a 5 minute walk to Times Square. We had a room on the 9th floor with views of 45th street. The room was spotless, with lots of storage space, a large flat screen tv, Bose music system, and a very comfortable queen size bed .
The bathroom was a nice size, with a separate shower cubicle and bath.There were other nice little touches, such as the sound from the tv or radio could be piped into the bathroom,and the complementary bathrobe and slippers.
The only downside was that the room didn't have coffee/tea making facilities.
We didn't eat in the hotel but there is a very popular diner 50yrds down the street, which was handy for breakfast.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed here for our honeymoon, and we really appreciated the outstanding service, and beautiful accommodations. The hotel was clean, and the staff was friendly. No bed bugs here! We were upgraded upon arrival to a 23rd story room, overlooking Rockefeller Center. Our room was plenty big, and the bed was very comfortable. The L'Occitane bath products were a pleasant surprise. We loved our housekeeper, as she did complimentary turn-down service every night, with free bottles of water. The concierge was very helpful- finding great restaurants, or even researching a good laundromat. We also thought the staff was excellent at helping us get cabs when needed.
Excellent location- close to all the activity but away from the hustle and loudness of Times Square. (about a block and a half away)
We didn't eat at the restaurant, which looked great, but seemed expensive. The other negative is the lack of free WiFi, but it was only $40 for the week, which was reasonable.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sofitel in New York for two nights during our weekend trip to hang out with friends, watch Broadway & ABT shows, and enjoy some great restaurants. All in all, the trip was enjoyable and relaxing, and our stay at the Sofitel - while not a standout - does not detract from the trip either.

We were given a room right by the elevator bank on the 10th floor of the hotel, but we didn't experience any noise issues. The vibe in the hotel is definitely luxury, though not quite like the Pierre or Peninsula hotels. All the hotel attendants and front desk reps we interacted with were helpful, perhaps even eager to help. While I have no specific anecdotes to relay, in my mind and experience, that can be a positive! There are certainly no aspects to our stay that were sub-optimal - I would stay at the Sofitel again, particularly if our plans included more Broadway shows and gallivanting around the city. (The Sofitel is located right off Fifth Avenue, equidistant to the B/D/F/V and 4/5/6, making it easy to traipse around Manhattan.) If you know, however, that your plans don't require you to be near Times Square or Lincoln Center (or the general Midtown area), the Sofitel isn't necessarily the best option. The Bowery and Crosby Hotels downtown are better options for visitors who will be frequenting that area. Sofitel, however, I think is a reliable option for Midtown.

Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

I stayed at the Sofitel in June for about a week.
I travel to New York every 6 weeks or so and I must say the Sofiitel Hotel is far better than any I have stayed at in the city!
The staff are all friendly and helpful - the rooms are light, large and always so well cleaned, the room service was great!
The Sofitel was in an excellent location and was pretty easy to always get a cab.

I will definitly be returning to the Sofitel again and again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Great stay at the Sofitel New York. The rooms are nice, spacious and clean with excellent amenities from l'Occitance. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, from concierge to front desk to housekeeping.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

Is it that hard to find a nice hotel in New York? That's the question my husband and I kept asking ourselves. We've been to New York many times but we always stay in different hotels because we have not been happy with previous ones (The Hudson and the Paramount are two that scored badly in my books. The W was mediocre and I would not rush to return.)

Are we super picky? I look for good service, cleanliness, a well designed room, adequate lighting -- and a room that doesn't feel like a closet. That should not be out of reach for "quality hotels". Our favorite hotel in any city is the Sofitel in Montreal, surely there must be something comparable in NYC?!!

So when a spring sale came up at the Sofitel New York, we arranged our trip to take advantage of the good rates. When we first arrived the room we were given wasn't "great". By comparison the Sofitel in Montreal feels airy and spacious and has huge modern glass windows looking out onto the city. The NY room we were given was spacious (by NYC standards) but it only had a single window with a view of brick walls and rusting water tanks on rooftops. I called the front desk and asked if there were any rooms they could give us in the same price bracket that had a good view. We waited about 20 minutes, and one of the hotel managers called and said she would show us two possible rooms on higher floors. The room we agreed on was similar in layout to the one on the lower floor, but this one had a great view of New York and the Chrysler Building. As I am a photographer having a view is a big plus, so I was pleased with the room change.

We stayed at the Sofitel New York for 4 nights. There were a few minor things I asked to be fixed (a broken hairdryer, not enough hangers in the closet, not enough towels, a bedsheet with a mark on it). All requests were taken care of promptly.

My summary: The Sofitel New York delivered on all counts: service, comfort, cleanliness, a well designed room, good lighting, good internet, and in a central location that made walking our preferred mode of transportation.

Most days we ate at restaurants nearby where the price of breakfast is cheaper than a latte at Starbucks, but on the last day we treated ourselves to breakfast at the hotel restaurant. It was expensive. My husband said, "This hotel is a reminder why we need to earn more money!" I agreed. Sofitel New York is now my favorite hotel in NYC. We'll be on the lookout for their next sale...