“Big rooms for NY”

Ranked #108 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Manchester
“Big rooms for NY”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

For New York, the rooms are of an incredible size. Very roomy, and the location is superb especially for the tourist elements of USA. You can walk anywhere from here and the usual Hilton Service was experienced, cleanliness etc!

Once the windows are shut (rooms are air conditioned) you cannot hear the noise of Times Square (we were on the 40th floor) which I was very impressed with. We had a very impressive view from our room, and of Times Square. Fantastic!

I would have given 5 across the board, but small things/minor details were missing, 2nd dressing gown in the room etc. However, when I we did ask for extra facilities these were provided quickly. This hotel has an inconspicuous entrance off 42nd street but remember its above Madame Tussauds, you can't miss that! Not cheap, but this is Times Square New York.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,409)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Stayed here as the hotel I was supposed to stay in overbooked and put me up in here. It is in the perfect location for doing all the tourist stuff etc - i would definetly stay here again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I'll be there as a guest from october, 10th to 18th. I want to watch a NBA preaseson match of the New York Nicks. I can buy them in the internet, but the TOP ONLINE TICKETS doesn't send them to BRAZIL. I'd like to know if the HILTON TIMES SQUARE HOTEL can receive the tickets for me and give me them when i arrive, on 10th october.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Okay, first off, I'm not someone used to paying in Euros, nor am I someone who takes a vacation to "party" in the hotel. I laugh when I read reviews regarding "no 24 hour room service". You're in freakin' NYC...live a little...get out of the hotel!!! Or how about: "There was no jacuzzi or sauna". Here's a tip: stay HOME! Invest the money in a health club membership! I am not a novice to travel or to NYC. I've stayed at 2-star hotels (The Pennsylvania House) and 5-star hotels (The Waldorf). So, what do I think of the Hilton? First off, if your idea of fun is being in the thick of Times Square, close to subway transportation and smack-dab in the heart of all the tourist-y things to do (and that is my idea of fun)...you're there. Secondly, the rooms are an impressive size for NYC (I will agree that the electrical outlets are a little limited), they are clean and well maintained, mattress and pillows are comfy and bathroom was clean (wah-wah, no toothbrush---bring your own!). Here is the reason I would go back: from the moment we set foot in the door, every employee we came in contact with gave the impression that our choosing the Hilton for our stay was appreciated. "Will you be needing help with your luggage?" "Thank you for choosing the Hilton. Enjoy your stay." Not only were they gracious to us, but they extended courtesy to one another. Can't say that for the manager at Au Bon Pain in Battery Park who was screaming at a cashier or the flight attendant on Continental who was serving beverages and barked at a younger flight attendant "This would go a lot faster if you'd stop talking" (the flight had been delayed an hour; the younger FA was trying to be pleasant...and, no, she wasn't talking to me!). Whether Hilton drills that attitude in to their employees, or it comes from within, everyone I came in contact with (door man, maid, maintenance, front desk, concierge, mail room) made me feel that I was appreciated, a "guest", as opposed to just another inconvenience until it was time to clock out. My suggestion: shop for a bargain (they're out there), stay in a safe, comfortable and clean room at the Hilton and, for goodness sake, GET OUT AND SEE THE CITY!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This hotel has an inconspicuous entrance off 42nd street and the actual hotel lobby is on the 15th floor. The rooms are huge by New York (or any major city) standards and very comfortable. Not cheap, but this is New York, after all

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Tucson, Az
Reviewed August 11, 2010

What has happened to Hilton? It used to always be a really nice experience to stay at one. However, for my last 2 visits, in two differend citites, were both bad. I ended up fighting with them for 2 months after my last stay, just to get them to do what they said they would do! I had to follow up with them several times, in order to get them to keep their promises. That is really sad, when you can't even expect them to keep their word. I wont go into any more details of that stay, because it's already in here somewhere. This time, however, we are again.....not happy at all! The ONLY thing this place has to offer is the location. You will find that they are experts at finding ways to get tip money from you by hijacking your luggage, etc. You will find that the drinks they make you in the bar will be TERRIBLE, and cost $15.00 each. They don't even have a blender and cannot make frozen type drinks. Why not? Can't Hilton afford a blender? You will find that the wireless internet service will not stay connected. The signal will go in and out and have to keep trying to re-connect. We had 2 different laptops with us and they both had the same problem. We ended up going accross the street to the Star Bucks to use the internet from there. We also ended up using the Applebees (located inside the Hilton) for drinks. There is NO pool or and NO spa! The gym is very small and poorly equipped. We also expected poliote/respectful/professional staff. And, sadly, this proved to not be true as well. They were less than helpful with us on several occassions and were downright rude as well. We understood that this would be expensive. After all, it's Times Square! But, we also expected things to work! And that the food and drinks would be good (for those prices), and we are sad to report that we cannot give the Hilton a good report. AND that this is the second time in a row! Once in Phoenix and once here in Times Square-New York city. We have been traveling now for over 2 weeks. We went to England, France, Germany, etc. And all of our accomadations at the other places where we stayed, were great!. None of them were Hilton! So we have stayed in different Hotels every night for the last couple of weeks, and everyone did a better job than Hilton. We are Hilton Honours members and have just about decided to give it all up and tell Hilton good-bye! We're also Marriot rewards members. Marriott....here we come!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank terryd75
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Times Square for 5 nights in July 2010. The hotel has a fantastic location directly above Madame Tussauds in Times Square. We wanted to be central and we certainly were. NY was certainly the city that never sleeps there was a real buzz about the place no matter what time of day or night it was there were always hundreds of people up and down the streets. Once you stepped inside the hilton and took the lift up, we were on the 30th floor, there was silence - you didnt hear a peep! Unbelievable for such a noisy location. We had a pure air room which was amazing you could actually feel the difference and the freshness when you stepped inside from the hallway. The room was huge for NY standards and very pleasant. We are big fans of Hilton as you generally know what you're going to get and this did not disappoint. The shower pressure in the bathroom was great. We were on a B&B basis and breakfast was varied and enjoyable. One thing we really did not appreciate was being hassled for our breakfast vouchers by the waiters during our breakfast sometimes as soon as we sat down. This system is really poor and not at all what I would expect from a Hilton they need to look at this we were asked on more than one occasion by different waiters. We would certainly stay at this hotel again for the standards and the location but we would book room only in future because of this. It actually ruined what was an almost perfect stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple