“Excellent location”

Hilton Times Square
Ranked #114 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 6 nights in April, since I come here for all the broadway show, staying in Times Square area is essential. The location of the hotel is excellent, there are restaurants and supermarket nearby and just blocks away from all the broadway show!

Housekeeping staff is friendly and I'm impressed they made up room in the morning by 10am cos most of the hotels I stayed at are very slow on making up room like 3pm.

Only one thing can be improved, staff from valet on the ground floor are always talking among themselves and never greetings or help out with luggage when I arrived. I tried to request a taxi and that valet staff was like "what?" and found me a taxi unwillingly... I'm from Asia and I didn't expect same service level from the hilton like Tokyo but at least a bit of courtesy would be appreciated.

Other than that I will come back and stay again..

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
LynellL, Manager at Hilton Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Carrie_yeung,

Thank you for your time in sharing your experience with me. I apologize for the service issue with our bell staff. I have made our Front Office Manager aware of your feedback and we will take steps to change these issues. I am happy to see that your stay was enjoyable overall. Our number one goal is to give our guests a perfect 10 experience. We look forward to the next time where we can show our commitment to our guest's satisfaction!

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Hilton Times Square for 4 nights last weekend, and we were really pleased. Great view from our room, and the room was always clean - so was the rest of the hotel. The location is super, and staff was helpful. Lots of great stores, sightseeing and places to eat just outside the door. Definetely recommanding Hilton Times Square!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ejvah
LynellL, Manager at Hilton Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Ejvah,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind comments. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as your time in New York. We hope to welcome you back in the future, and thank you again.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stayed from 15th-20th of March - 3 couples in 3 rooms. Jeez, it was cold! It's true what the song says "the wind cuts right through you, it's no place for the old...". Air temperature was 0° to 1° during the day, but the wind chill took it down to -6° and no amount of layers seemed to help. The last time we came was August and it was stupidly hot at around 40° so there's a tip - spring or autumn visits are more comfortable. We did the open-top city tour which is an absolute must but it was eye-wateringly painful in the wind. You can sit under a perspex roof out of the breeze, but you can't see as much and photography is impossible.

The hotel is right in Times Square and this is reflected in the prices. We only bought 2 drinks in the bar, a glass of lager (not a pint) and a glass of rose wine for $20. There seemed to be a lot of business people in residence, wining and dining on expenses which is fine for them. For us mere mortals, there are cheaper places.

The rooms were excellent. We were on floor 28 of 40+. The views were OK - better than last time when we stayed at the Belvedere. There was a coffee/tea maker, an (empty) fridge, a huge TV and the usual stuff (iron, hairdryer, etc). Usefully, there was a USB socket for charging laptops, phones, etc. The queen sized bed was probably one of the comfiest I've ever slept in. I can't comment on the staff because we checked in and checked out (very straightforward) and had no other reason to approach them. The concierge was very helpful and arranged a taxi and luggage storage for us on departure day (for a small fee!).
I can't recommend any specific restaurants because none stood out. If you like steak, you'll struggle to find a bad one. As a rule of thumb, the nearer to Times Square, the dearer the food, but that doesn't mean that the quality or quantity is better. I won't frighten you by telling you how much we spent on food and drink in five days, but take lots and lots and lots of money! The one place I can recommend for reasonably priced, good food is, surprisingly, the food court at Grand Central station, not far from the hotel. It is a central seating area surrounded by a multitude of stalls selling almost every type of food you could wish for (Thai, Indian, Chinese, sushi, pizza, and so on) and the quality is excellent. Because of the number of stalls competing for your business, the prices are very reasonable.

We arrived on a Saturday and our stay coincided (accidentally) with a half marathon through Times Square on the Sunday morning and the St Patricks Day parade on the Monday. What a spectacle! 250,000 people take part and about a million line the streets to watch. It takes 5 hours for it to pass. Amazing. And the atmosphere in the abundant Irish bars afterwards was fantastic. A bit on the steep side though at $9 a pint for Guinness typically.

I've listed a couple of hints and tips below:-
The open-top city tour bus is a must. There's one tour heads north and one that heads south and you can hop on or off at any point and then hop back on a later one. However, I'd check what time the last bus is (it doesn't seem to tell you anywhere) so that you don't get stranded at the 9-11 memorial like we did. It's not the end of the world, just grab a taxi.

The tickets can be bought on the corner by the hotel. Negotiate a 5 day deal.

The ticket sellers can also sell you tickets for attractions like the 9-11 memorial, the Empire State building, the Top-Of-The-Rock observatory (the Rockerfeller Centre), liberty island ferry etc, so buy them there to save queueing.

You don't need to do both the Empire State building and the Top-Of-The-Rock observatory because the views are pretty much the same. I would say the latter was slightly better because you are outside so photography is better (the top of the Empire State is exclosed in perspex though there is an external balcony on a lower floor). The queues are shorter too.

If you're doing a show, get discounted tickets from the TKTS booth round the corner in Times Square. It opens at 2pm daily - be prepared to queue. However, check with one of the assistants because some of the shows (Wicked, for example) don't do discounted tickets at all. If you like Frankie Valli, i'd highly recommend Jersey Boys.

That's it really. We had a fantastic trip (again). I'd have given the hotel 5 stars but, I'm sorry, $20 for two drinks is just absurd. You'll definitely enjoy your stay and the location is perfect.

Room Tip: Higher is better for the views, but it's not bad from the lower floors - better than many others...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank johnny_h_55

Dear Johnny_h_55,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that our location was ideal to your needs. I hope to have you stay with us again on your next trip to New York.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Hilton Times Square to celebrate my boyfriend's 40th birthday. Before we arrived, I got in touch with Chad Nathan (Front Office Manager) and he helped to make sure our stay was extra special by arranging a top floor room (44th floor) which had breathtaking views of the Empire State Building and Financial District and he arranged for a cake to be left in the room on my boyfriend's actual birthday. The hotel is clean, secure, welcoming, and we really appreciated the efforts to make our stay wonderful. The bed was really comfortable and we had no noticeable noise from outside. The location is superb and you can easily walk to many of the attractions. The subway is close by if you want to use that instead. Thanks to Chad and the team for making our stay in New York very special.

Room Tip: 44th floor has amazing views.
1  Thank Kim A

Dear Kim A,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your interaction with Chad. They are truly our hospitality "rock stars"! I am pleased that you found the location, service, amenities to your liking. We hope to see you back with us again.

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was great, we stayed here for two nights en route to Las Vegas. Only problem was that they added 3 pending charges to the card I used to check in with totalling nearly £500 after we left!! There was no reason for this as the bill was settled on checkout with no additional charges! One of which was added 3 days after we checked out and as of today it still hasn't dropped off, nearly a week and a half later. As a result my card was blocked for my trip to Vegas where my partner and I were to be married, it extremely limited our enjoyment of our trip and caused much distress, I'm still waiting in an explanation from Hilton as to why they did this. As svresult I would definitely not recommend staying at this hotel or with this chain if hotels, disgraceful.

5  Thank Blythe S
Chad N, Manager at Hilton Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Blythe S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor Review. Although I was glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel I was extreamly shocked and disapointed to see the 1 star review. I apologize for any inconvenicnes you experienced regarding the credit card authorization.

I respectfully request that you contact me at cnathan@hts-nyc.com so I can look into these authorizations and ensure they are reversed immediatly. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Chad Nathan
Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Spent a Friday and Saturday night at the Hilton Times Square with my wife for a weekend away. Rooms were clean, comfortable and we had a great view of the city. we asked the desk about local pubs and places to visit near by and Chad N. was very helpful with pointing us in the right direction and giving us a heads up on the train system. we will defiantly visit again

Dear Todd S,

Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation with us. We appreciate your positive feedback. Thank you for acknowledging Chad and the positive impact he had on your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We booked this hotel because of the great weekend rate, location, and because it was a Hilton property. We were pleased with everything about the hotel. The checkin was quick and welcoming. The room was an upgrade on a high floor which eliminated road noise. The bed was wonderful, and the room was beautifully appointed. The lobby was quite nice with an open and inviting bar. The drinks were quite expensive so we only had one. The security was always present. We highly recommend this as a great weekend get away.

Room Tip: We were on the 33rd floor and it had great views of the city and was quiet.
1  Thank gmiker

Dear Gmiker,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property on Tripadvisor. Thank you for the complementary comments regarding our rooms and location. We appreciate your recommendation. See you again soon!