“Great hotel for a great city”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #31 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Conrad hotel. We have previously stayed more centrally near TImes Square but this time felt that we wanted to be based in a more quieter location. The hotel is situated close to the subway, about 10mins walk to Chambers Street, this made it easy to travel around Manhattan. We bought a 7 day unlimited metro card. Nearby there are numerous choices of bars and restaurants to choose from, we had a great meal at the nearby Blue Smoke. The walks along the Hudson are also great.
Our room was spacious in comparison to previous hotels we have used in NYC. The room was always restocked and kept clean. We especially liked the sliding doors which could be used to separate off the rooms. The staff we spoke to were always helpful and courteous.
We would definitely recommend this hotel and it will be our first choice for future visits.
We can't wait for our return to this great city!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank silva2010
Write a ReviewReviews (3,486)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Simply one of the best luxury hotels in the City. Very quiet rooms. Get one overlooking the Hudson River if possible. I was on the 3rd floor and still had a decent view of the river. Very comfortable beds, modern setup, and the staff were very friendly and eager to please.
The closest subway stop was World Trade Center, not real close, but easy enough. This hotel isn't real convenient if you're going to spend much time in Mid-town. But for business in the financial district and visiting lower Manhattan, it was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room close to the elevator. Some rooms are a long way around the atrium from th...
1  Thank HutchNY
Reviewed April 1, 2014

THE GOOD

I arrived here for a one night stay a week ago on a warm Saturday afternoon & was greeted by a lovely view of the Hudson River. This hotel is absolutely beautiful & located in a wonderful location. The design of the lobby is different from your average hotel & quite stunning. The Conrad definitely emits a great first impression. Check in was a little slow on this bustling Sunday afternoon. I was 3rd in line to check in & at the time there was only one customer service rep working.

I booked the standard King Deluxe room which was quite lovely. Its very spacious with a huge shower, bar area, small private bathroom & separate living room. Plenty of closest space & a sliding room divider. Perfect room for a gal who slightly over packs! I had a view of the street which wasn't a big deal since I spent little time in the room. For views of the Hudson, upgrade to a superior suite. The same view can be caught on the walkway to the elevators though so unless you plan on being in your room the entire time, book the standard room.

Although they offer valet parking, there was plenty of street parking a few feet down the street from the hotel (North End Ave). I found parking as soon as I arrived & spent a total of 2 minutes walking back to the hotel. There is also a parking lot across the street.

THE BAD

I never received a receipt upon checkout because I was sent off to wait for the housekeeping manager to address a cleanliness issue with the bed sheets. That issue will be mentioned in the following post! A few days after my stay I log into my bank account to view the billing charges from the hotel & to my surprise I see an additional charge for $130. I never ordered room service or took anything from the bar so I was puzzled at the $432 room charge for one night. I log into my Hilton account, view the receipt for my stay & see that I had been charged for valet parking not once but twice! I NEVER VALETED with this hotel. But yet I was charged on 3/22 & 3/23 for it. Needless to say I was pissed viewing these charges on my account. Since then, I have contacted the Conrad 3 times regarding this matter & have yet to receive a call back. I am tired of leaving voice messages. No one picks up in accounting/billing.

THE UGLY

I spent the entire evening out & didn't arrive back at my room until 4:00 am.The bed sheets in my room were stained with blood and the duvet cover with makeup. I didn't notice them until next morning. Which means one or two things...housekeeping placed the sheets on the bed knowing they were soiled/dirty OR they just didn't change the sheets at all. Upon checkout, I showed the pictures to the front desk staff who then contacted the housekeeping manager & who agreed to come speak with me. After waiting 10 minutes he arrives, offers an apology & states he will speak with his staff & follow up with me. Haven't heard from him since. I reply thank you & ask am I all set/clear for checkout? He states yes & I exit the hotel. This is how I missed the valet charges.

Overall this is a beautiful hotel located in a great area. Even with the dirty sheet mishap I was willing to stay at this hotel again but the bogus valet charges & the fact I have called 3 times to speak with billing at the Conrad regarding this matter & have yet to receive a response has completely turned me off.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
8  Thank Nikia S
ConradNewYork, General Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Nikia,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words on our location and atmosphere and regret our delay in getting back to you regarding the billing confusion. We know our guests deserve the best in property amenities as well as guestroom comfort and cleanliness and have addressed your experience with our housekeeping team to prevent similar issues moving forward. We are investigating this further and will contact you privately to resolve this situation. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you visit the city so we may better demonstrate our brand standard commitment to your comfort and satisfaction.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Have stayed here twice now, and will again as i have business in the Financial District that will be monthly. Love this place. Staff and Service is great. Location is perfect if you have business in the Financial District. Great rooms, great view of the river if you get the right room. Love the room, love the hotel, love the staff.

Clean, friendly, well run.. my new home in NYC for the time being...... at least a couple days a month!

Room Tip: If you get the right room can see the statue of libery or the river.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. Everything about it was great. The staff was very professional and helpful. The room service was great. The rooms were comfortable and quiet. I was in meetings at Goldman Sachs which was across the street. Very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
ConradNewYork, General Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Frank,

We are so pleased to hear you had a fantastic stay with us while in town for meetings and we are honored to hear that it was one of the best hotel experiences you have ever had. I am glad our staff were both professional and courteous and that you found your guest suite accommodations to be more than sufficient. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Conrad New York again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 29, 2014

What a hidden Gem, this is a lovely hotel in the financial district, its away from the mid town action and its a $25 cab ride to the bright lights, but! This is a quiet comfortable hotel in an ideal location for exploring Battery Park, Chinatown, SOHO etc etc. Or you can use the Chambers Street subway for $2.75 to go up town...

As an Hhonors Diamond member I was lucky to be given an upgrade to a river view room and a complimentary breakfast, which was a choice from a HHonors menu or a $20 credit on the a la carte.

Great big suite perfectly clean, huge comfortable bed, the only thing was that we missed the cleaner every day and had to call for the room to be serviced after breakfast.

I can't recommend this hotel enough we'll be there next visit too !!

Room Tip: As for a high floor with a river view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank notrevo
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. In a wonderful location. Its an easy walk to NYC subway and multiple attractions. Close to entertainment options as well. Rooms are very modern and the showers are fantastic. Great staff, responsive and freidndly. Would certainly stay at this hotel in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Hudson

Philip,

We appreciate you taking the time to share this review of the Conrad New York with the rest of the TripAdvisor community - thank you! It is a pleasure to hear what a memorable visit you had with us and how much you enjoyed our downtown location and the easy access to public transportation as well as the short distance to many of New York's best attractions. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Kind Regards,