“First time since it was the Embassy Suites.”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #30 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“First time since it was the Embassy Suites.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We've stayed at this building before, but when it was the embassy suites and chose to return because we find the location excellent for travelling with children in NYC.

We arrived at about 3pm on a hot Friday afternoon after a flight from London and transfer into the city, we were me, my mum and two tired and sticky children of 7 and 2. On arrival we were met by the concierge who took our luggage and directed us to check in up the stairs.

Our room wasn't ready despite it being listed as rooms available from 3pm and I had emailed via the concierge that we would like our room on arrival please because we would like to freshen up and then head on out. However the receptionist on seeing that we had fractious kids with us very quickly found us a new room and we went straight there, our bags arriving shortly after.

The room was still huge, hooray, a sitting room, bar area, huge walk in rain shower and separate loo area. There was also an enormous bedroom with two double beds, the rooms were equipped with tea, coffee, water, robes, sippers and ironing board. I must mention the efficient maintenance guy. The two year old somehow managed to make the tv get "stuck" and it wouldn't turn off and was on max volume, which also wouldn't turn down! We called reception who had the tv reset remotely, but still one of the maintenance guys came and checked it was all ok, he said it was a fault and happened and not my sons fault.

We only stayed one night this trip and the one thing I really missed was the breakfast that the embassy suites offered. The room service wasn't too pricey, but once you added in delivery plus service charge it was ridiculous, so I walked to a store and bought muffins, etc.

On check out we had been out shopping and in arrival back at the hotel asked the bellhop to come and collect our luggage and then as we dropped our key off were told our relatives had already arrived, we didn't give their names or ours, the reception staff had realised who we were and told our family we were n our way and when we got to their car up luggage was already being loaded by the bellhop.

The other thing I wished Conrad would offer is free wifi. This should not be charged for in a high end hotel.

All in all though it was a lovely stay, very relaxing and easy and I would return.

Room Tip: The rooms on the river are lovely, but the rooms at the rear are very private at the weekend. My...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share this review. After staying in this location when it was an Embassy Suites, we are delighted to hear you chose to return to experience it as the Conrad New York. I am happy you appreciated the size and layout of our guest suites while traveling with small children, as well as the friendly service from our staff. Thank you for feedback about the breakfast and wifi and we sincerely apologize for any dissatisfaction you felt during your stay. We are glad you had a fantastic stay overall, and we hope to welcome you and your family back in the future

Best regards,
Jimmy

Jimmy Sarfraz
Resident Manager
102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Derbyshire
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at this very smart hotel in Manhattan's financial district. It's all very new, so everything super trendy and clean, as one would expect. We had a room with two double beds for us and our two children and also a small lounge area which could be partitioned off with a sliding door. This made it possible for us to watch tv and have room service whilst the kids slept. Only downside of room was potentially dangerous metal bed frame on base of both beds which stuck out and injured all of our shins at some point during the four night stay! I still have the bruises! Walk-shower and bathroom were both excellent. Breakfast was expensive, but delicious. Gym facilities, but no pool. Fantastic location on the waterfront, with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. There is also a lovely deli right next door if one wants a cheaper alternative to the Conrad breakfast. New shopping centre opening over the road in 2014, which looks amazing. Live outdoor music close by in the evenings. Loved it. No hotel can win my fifth star if the concierge tells you (at 8.50) to come back at 9.00! Just too petty for words and not 5* behaviour!

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the Hudson River, but even though ours didn't the street view was fasci...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JaniceDerbyshire
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went to New York for work decided to stay here for the weekend. Hotel is amazing. the problem was when I was there i got evacuated for hurricane Sandy. I understand that, but they charged me fopr night i got evacuated, charged me for mini fridge stuff I didn't even have. And never returned any of my calls/emails after the fact to correct. Finally months later I resolved it with Hilton Directly. When you pay $300-500/ night for a room I think the service should be much more than I received post checkout.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank yorosey
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Personally, one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Ideally placed in the financial district, away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square, but easy enough to get to and from via the Subway system (which takes a couple of journeys to master). We had a room on the 15th floor with a view of the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty just in the distance - fantastic to wake up to. Room was serviced daily, mini-bar a bit on the expensive side so we didn't use it. Bathroom and Shower room weren't exactly private but you could close the room dividers for a bit more privacy if needed. Staff friendly and polite. Would definitely consider a return visit... if I could afford it again!

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the hotel would generally get a view of the Hudson river, all others are city...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SA2278
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 10, 2013

A great hotel, well situated to finacial district, 9/11 memorial etc but i found it just a bit far from Shopping areas around Times Square. The rooms are large, well appointed and very comfortable - wonderful shower!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at the Conrad during the long 4th of July weekend. I got there quite early; they had an available room at that time, which, they told me, had no actual view to the coast. I took it since I wanted to leave all my stuff and go around the city as soon as posibble (I was offered a view room at 3PM official check in time which I declined). Once I got into the room, I saw that I still had a part of a very nice view, plus the room itself was beautiful. There are two sliding doors that contribute to muffle any aisle noise (not that I heard any during my stay in a very busy weekend). Don't open the minibar, as they will charge you even to leave your own stuff in there. Other than that, the rest is just perfect. The separate shower is heaven, specially after getting back pretty tired from a very hot day in the city. Excellent bed; two TVs, one in the living room (also provided with a desk and very comfortable sofas); nice toilet products. More than anything, the room is huge. This is amazing considering I had paid the same or more for a tiny room in Midtown before. So not worth doing that. You have the subway or buses a couple of minutes away and then you can go wherever you want. Why paying so much for a room where you cannot even lay your luggage and walk at the same time plus not having a good night sleep? I found location as a great advantage as I was looking for a quiet stay; nice to walk by the coast (right in front of the hotel) at night, take a ferry, have a Shake Shak Burger right next to the hotel. They serve the room twice a day if you are not there. Take photos of the hall, it is quite artsy. As I am an hhonors member, they gave me free breakfast and free internet (otherway to be paid separately). Not only I recommend the hotel, it is one of the best hotels I have stayed at. Just go

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing this review of your recent stay at the Conrad New York. We are thrilled to hear you had a perfect stay with us over the 4th of July Holiday and that you thoroughly enjoyed our hotel's location, spacious guest suites and comfortable accommodations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Conrad again soon!

Best Regards,

New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were thrilled with our stay at the Conrad. The location was great and our room was fantastic, especially the bathroom. This was one of the nicest hotels we've ever been to! Would definitely recommend this hotel. We hope to stay here again when we return to NYC!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple