“Conrad Battery Park Hotel is excellent”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #32 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Great hotel for business, family, etc., especially if you want to be in Battery Park/lower Manhattan area. Rooms are terrific, hotel is gorgeous, staff was very helpful. Battery Park is a great area. Rooms are all suites, with sliding doors between bedroom and den area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing this review with the TripAdvisor community. We are so pleased that you had an excellent stay with us and appreciated the friendly service, spacious suites and downtown location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Conrad in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on my HHonors points for an extended city break. Although in the Financial District there are loads of amenities near the hotel including the awesome Shake Shack and a really convenient drugstore. The check-in process was polite and efficient, the suite overlooking the Hudson was excellent - one of the best I've experienced in the Hilton Group with very clean lines and neat touches - and the overall ambience very calm and professional. There was only one low point in a 5 night stay: breakfast. We usually ventured out to eat but on the Sunday decided to try Atrio, the hotel eatery. Mistake. The greeting was impersonal and rushed; the waiter forgot we were even at our table and served two other couples first, even though they were seated after us; and the menu was a little too contrived. If I want Mediterranean inspired breakfast I'll get it done well in the Med. America has a great breakfast culture so it should be reflected in the Conrad menu. We walked out of Atrio and management were at pains to resolve the issue by offering a free room service breakfast, which was a good recovery from the experience. So, all in, the Conrad NYC is a great hotel and well worth the visit. I'll stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed in the Conrad for our mini-moon straight after we got married. I have to say, the hotel was truly lovely.

We arrived at the hotel and were met with a very courteous front desk. Our room was out of this world. We stayed in a deluxe suite which whilst it was only on the 3rd floor, had a nice view and was an amazing suite.

The room controls were funky. You could control the lights, temperature and whether you wanted housekeeping etc through the TV.

The living room area consisted of a sofa, TV, Bar area with free tea, coffee and water. A wardrobe for storing luggage, and a four place dining room table.

You then walked through a little corridor which took you to a washroom with a sink, a bathroom which had a lovely corner bath, double sinks, a walk in wet room shower and another toilet.

The bedroom consisted of a lovely big bed, a TV and storage space for clothes etc. The room was well lit and could be bright or relaxed as you saw fit.

The hotels location is in Battery Park. This is a relatively quiet area by New York Standards. 2 blocks away from the world trade centre. It is in a residential area so it is much more relaxed. However, you are literally only blocks away from the hustle bustle of NYC.

Metro stations are only a five min walk away and there are ample places to eat and shop nearby. Also there is a multiplex cinema inside the building which is accessed via the hotel lobby.

The Atrio restaurant was lovely, and service was very very good. There is also a really nice rooftop bar that serves cocktails and where you can see the Hudson River and Statue of Liberty. Rooftop bar gets busy during the week by workers in the nearby financial district (Wall Street etc) as it is a very nice bar. Much quieter on the weekends.

The hotel is also only a block away from the Hudson River Esplanade and also the Hudson Greenway which is a cycle path which literally goes all the way up the side of Manhattan on the bank of the Hudson. With the new Citibike system (similar to Boris bikes in London for those of you who are familar) there is a great way to see New York.

Downside to the hotel.We had to pay for Wifi ($15 per day), which is common place for New York but given the price of the hotel was a bit annoying. The other thing was that you can't use the fridge in the room unless you pay $25 dollars. The fridge is the mini bar and is motion sensored so will charge you for opening it. But hey you get water and housekeeping will be pleased to get you some ice.

The housekeeping service was tremendous. Every little detail was accounted for. There is a turn down service where they will bring you fresh towels and turn down you bed. They will also get you extra water, coffee/tea and ice if you so wish.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is a very different experience to other New York Hotels and if you prefer the quiet life, then this is definitely the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Try and get as higher room as possible as this will mean good views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. My bill was wrong and nothing was done to fix it. I strongly recommend staying await from this hotel unless you want to be taken advantage of by the hotel and charging you too much for you stay.

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank Donald K P

Donald,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. One of the cornerstones of the Conrad experience is flawless service, and I assure you that the problems you mentioned with our front desk and billing teams have been addressed accordingly. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this in greater depth. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue, and we hope you will give our hotel a second chance if you return to the area.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was my first time staying in Manhattan despite my husband being from NYC. We booked the Conrad at my recommendation because I wanted to see how fancy it could be. This place is apparently a re-done Embassy Suites and you can sort of tell from the atrium, but the artwork totally dismissed any "oh this is re-done" feelings we might have had. We arrived before check-in and they gladly checked our bags before we headed out into the city. The neighborhood around the hotel is just great. It is a couple of blocks from the new Freedom Tower, there are restaurants nearby, like Shake Shack, a Whole Foods a couple of blocks away and a movie theatre in the same building. The negative on the move theatre was that the entire lobby spelled like old buttery popcorn.
We somehow got upgraded to a wonderful room with a view of the Hudson River and a sofa bed for the little ones to sleep on. The bathroom was the most wonderful bathroom I have ever experienced.
One negative was the fact that there were no sheets in the room or already on the sofa bed. This seems to be a recurring problem at Hilton hotels. It was late when we returned to the hotel and I tried calling housekeeping, concierge and the front desk and no one answered. Taking my 2.5 year old with me to the front desk at 11:30pm I was greeted by two very friendly staff members who informed me that sofa beds were made only by request. I requested the service and someone arrived almost 30 minutes later.
The second problem was at breakfast where our server seemed to be so disgusted with the fact that we would bring children into the restaurant that she wanted to serve everyone under the sun before she even took our drink order. The irony of this situation was that every single table around us has children! Granted they were a few years older than ours, but I could not figure out if it was the age of our children or because we given the cheap-o Hilton Honors breakfast menu to order from (this meant we had very light breakfast options that were free, so maybe she thought she would not be getting a good tip. Believe me, we tip good even when the meal is included.) So it was disappointing service, but the food was actually very good. I might want to order off the "real" menu in the future as the choices seemed somewhat more robust.
Overall, I would stay here again and I am constantly checking their website to see if they have any good deals. great location and the bathrooms in the lobby are extremely nice!

2  Thank ahavakamm
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the Conrad New York. I knew it was a beautiful property – but I had my hesitations about the location down in Battery Park. I worried that there wouldn’t be anything to do (compared to midtown) and that the transportation will be challenging.
I was pleasantly surprised that the location is one of the best things about this hotel! Subways are just minutes away and the view of the sunset over the Hudson River? Priceless.
Plus there were restaurants, movie theaters in the same space. It was the perfect place to stay with my family in NYC.

We were at the hotel for a week and everyone greeted my family and I with a smile. We really felt like we were at home. And I definitely have to commend the doorman, Morris.
We arrived at the Conrad after a delayed flight and we were very grumpy to begin with but he made us feel welcome as soon as we got off the car. He also greeted me by name every day – so impressive!

We're definitely coming back!

Room Tip: We were assigned a room with a separate shower and toilet. I was disappointed at first because I rea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing this review via TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to know that you were pleasantly surprised by all of the wonderful activities and attractions in Lower Manhattan, as well as our convenient location to public transportation to explore the rest of the city. I am glad you and your family had an exceptional stay with us and I will be sure to let Morris know you appreciated his hospitality. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was an all suite hotel that could accomodate a family of 5. Our original choice was the DoubleTree Suites in Times Square, but decided to book at the Conrad once I heard it was all suites and concerned with how crazy Times Square can be. At first I was concerned with the location being somewhat away from most of the sites that we wanted to see and that the closest subway station was a few blocks away, but after going through Time Square once with the family, I was glad we stayed at the Conrad.

The area around the Conrad is great for a family with younger children (9, 8 and 2) as there are parks nearby and a children's play area basically across the street. It is basically across the street from the Hudson River so I was able to run along the river every morning and see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The 9/11 Memorial is close by and it's a fairly easy walk to Battery Park to get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. The proximity to the subway station(s) was not bad. All within a 5 min walk.

The hotel itself was really nice. It was like an oasis from the the hustle and bustle of The City inside as it was very quiet and the decor was relaxing when you enter. The rooms are all very modern and technologically loaded. The shower was spacious and separate from the toilet/sink area. The beds were very comfortable. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, instead took advantage of the markets/restaurants nearby for meals (Pick a Bagel and Le Pain for breakfast, Battery Park Market for coffee and Shake Shack for dinners). The fitness center was ok. Only a few dumb bells, but had several cardio machines (treadmills and eliptical machines).

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When we called Housekeeping for extra towels, they were sent up with a few minutes. The crib that was provided was an actual crib (with nice bedding) instead of a pack and play. The doormen were all very friendly and helpful with directions. The check-in/check-out was smooth with no issues.

Tips:

- For snacks, the Battery Park Market has some healthy choices. The coffee was really good too.

Room Tip: - Grab a bottle of water from the doormen (or the fitness center) before heading out for the day...
1  Thank eho