“Gorgeous Room, convenient location”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #30 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Gorgeous Room, convenient location”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was my first time staying in Manhattan despite my husband being from NYC. We booked the Conrad at my recommendation because I wanted to see how fancy it could be. This place is apparently a re-done Embassy Suites and you can sort of tell from the atrium, but the artwork totally dismissed any "oh this is re-done" feelings we might have had. We arrived before check-in and they gladly checked our bags before we headed out into the city. The neighborhood around the hotel is just great. It is a couple of blocks from the new Freedom Tower, there are restaurants nearby, like Shake Shack, a Whole Foods a couple of blocks away and a movie theatre in the same building. The negative on the move theatre was that the entire lobby spelled like old buttery popcorn.
We somehow got upgraded to a wonderful room with a view of the Hudson River and a sofa bed for the little ones to sleep on. The bathroom was the most wonderful bathroom I have ever experienced.
One negative was the fact that there were no sheets in the room or already on the sofa bed. This seems to be a recurring problem at Hilton hotels. It was late when we returned to the hotel and I tried calling housekeeping, concierge and the front desk and no one answered. Taking my 2.5 year old with me to the front desk at 11:30pm I was greeted by two very friendly staff members who informed me that sofa beds were made only by request. I requested the service and someone arrived almost 30 minutes later.
The second problem was at breakfast where our server seemed to be so disgusted with the fact that we would bring children into the restaurant that she wanted to serve everyone under the sun before she even took our drink order. The irony of this situation was that every single table around us has children! Granted they were a few years older than ours, but I could not figure out if it was the age of our children or because we given the cheap-o Hilton Honors breakfast menu to order from (this meant we had very light breakfast options that were free, so maybe she thought she would not be getting a good tip. Believe me, we tip good even when the meal is included.) So it was disappointing service, but the food was actually very good. I might want to order off the "real" menu in the future as the choices seemed somewhat more robust.
Overall, I would stay here again and I am constantly checking their website to see if they have any good deals. great location and the bathrooms in the lobby are extremely nice!

2 Thank ahavakamm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at the Conrad New York. I knew it was a beautiful property – but I had my hesitations about the location down in Battery Park. I worried that there wouldn’t be anything to do (compared to midtown) and that the transportation will be challenging.
I was pleasantly surprised that the location is one of the best things about this hotel! Subways are just minutes away and the view of the sunset over the Hudson River? Priceless.
Plus there were restaurants, movie theaters in the same space. It was the perfect place to stay with my family in NYC.

We were at the hotel for a week and everyone greeted my family and I with a smile. We really felt like we were at home. And I definitely have to commend the doorman, Morris.
We arrived at the Conrad after a delayed flight and we were very grumpy to begin with but he made us feel welcome as soon as we got off the car. He also greeted me by name every day – so impressive!

We're definitely coming back!

Room Tip: We were assigned a room with a separate shower and toilet. I was disappointed at first because I rea...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing this review via TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to know that you were pleasantly surprised by all of the wonderful activities and attractions in Lower Manhattan, as well as our convenient location to public transportation to explore the rest of the city. I am glad you and your family had an exceptional stay with us and I will be sure to let Morris know you appreciated his hospitality. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards,

New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was an all suite hotel that could accomodate a family of 5. Our original choice was the DoubleTree Suites in Times Square, but decided to book at the Conrad once I heard it was all suites and concerned with how crazy Times Square can be. At first I was concerned with the location being somewhat away from most of the sites that we wanted to see and that the closest subway station was a few blocks away, but after going through Time Square once with the family, I was glad we stayed at the Conrad.

The area around the Conrad is great for a family with younger children (9, 8 and 2) as there are parks nearby and a children's play area basically across the street. It is basically across the street from the Hudson River so I was able to run along the river every morning and see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The 9/11 Memorial is close by and it's a fairly easy walk to Battery Park to get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. The proximity to the subway station(s) was not bad. All within a 5 min walk.

The hotel itself was really nice. It was like an oasis from the the hustle and bustle of The City inside as it was very quiet and the decor was relaxing when you enter. The rooms are all very modern and technologically loaded. The shower was spacious and separate from the toilet/sink area. The beds were very comfortable. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, instead took advantage of the markets/restaurants nearby for meals (Pick a Bagel and Le Pain for breakfast, Battery Park Market for coffee and Shake Shack for dinners). The fitness center was ok. Only a few dumb bells, but had several cardio machines (treadmills and eliptical machines).

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When we called Housekeeping for extra towels, they were sent up with a few minutes. The crib that was provided was an actual crib (with nice bedding) instead of a pack and play. The doormen were all very friendly and helpful with directions. The check-in/check-out was smooth with no issues.

Tips:

- For snacks, the Battery Park Market has some healthy choices. The coffee was really good too.

Room Tip: - Grab a bottle of water from the doormen (or the fitness center) before heading out for the day...
1 Thank eho
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We are happy to have chosen the Conrad in the Financial District . It is very close to the Battery Park and North Cove Marina. Walking distance to WTC and Wall street, walking distance to the sub-ways and Path train station. On the rear side(street) of the hotel there are some very good fast food options available.

We were accommodated on the 14th floor, with a view of the river - absolutely amazing view. The breakfast was very fresh and delicious.

The bathroom is setup in an interesting way the shower area is a separate cubicle and the wc is a separate cubicle. This is a great idea for guest families.

For a Manhattan hotel the room size is big, service is efficient, staff is very courteous, house keeping is excellent, the rooms were spotlessly clean. Overall we have had a memorable stay - we have stayed here for four nights and would love to come back.

Room Tip: A higher floor with a room facing the river gives you a fantastic view
1 Thank SanjayFFT
We are delighted to hear you had a memorable 4-night stay at the Conrad New York and would like to thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. It seems like you truly took advantage of all there is to do surrounding the hotel and we are happy to know that you appreciated the service, cleanliness and layout of our hotel as well. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Best Regards,

New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com
Philly
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Conrad. The rooms were very spacious and had a nice view of the Hudson. The hotel is pet friendly which was great, and there is a nice walking path across the street from the hotel. The location was quiet which we enjoyed. We found a few nice restaurants in the neighborhood. However, there isn't much nightlife if you are looking for that within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was situated at another Hilton Hotel, Hilton Midtown, and it was awful. I called Hilton Honors and requested to move to another hotel. We were pleasantly surprised regarding the quality of Conrad, both the public facilities and the hotel suite. I would definitely consider selecting this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very nice hotel , great location in lower Manhattan outstanding room size, maybe the biggest I had in New York . The only disadvantage is the breakfast , which is a la carte with a very expensive limited option ( only one) . However it is my first option for the next visit to NYC.

• Stayed June 2013