“Great Looking Hotel, Nice & Clean Rooms. Worst Service Ever Seen !!!”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #29 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Great Looking Hotel, Nice & Clean Rooms. Worst Service Ever Seen !!!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Great location, modern and spacious rooms, Many amenities with a commercial center and a cinema just in the back door (literally). Very clean hotel, The view is superb, and everything is in walking distance (Banks, University, Supermarket, Stores, Pharmacy, Subway, Post Office, Metro, Ice cream, Starbucks, Cinema, etc.) .

The downside is the Service provided!!!

I wanted to schedule a US$185.00 town car to JFK with the "Concierge Service" but it was plainly painful. Had to call 2 times and waited on hold between 15 and 20 minutes each call. When I complained to the employee that handled the call, I received a very rude response: "I have an Important customer in font of me". I Asked if i was not an important customer??, I had paid almost US$2,000 for 3 Nights!!!. He was a Latino, Like Me, he was trying to make me believe he didn't understood. My english is great, so i don't think he did not understood my complain.

On My arrival, at 10:00pm after a 4 1/2 Hour Waiting line at the JFK airport due to the "sequester" , I requested a simple change of room from a double queen bed room to a single King bed room. My brother was supposed to come, but cancelled at the last minute. The girl at the front desk told me that the only option was to get a far inferior room that the one already paid. I refused and she told me to come back the other day that the hotel was going to be less occupied. I logically understood and came back the other day just to find another girl who offered me the same thing and told me that the girl of the previous day told me a lie. ¿¿¿¿What The...????

There is no Ice on the Floors nor on the room. You have to order ice by phone to the restaurant and it takes the 45 minutes to take it to the room. You are supposed to order the breakfast on the TV but the option is Not available (Only Dinner Is). Internet is not complimentary, costs US$15.00 a day and the i room signal is so poor that you can only use it on the entrance of the room.

Just two good things on the service: 1) Bell boy who welcomed me was fantastic!!! The restaurant and Bar service was superb. Food was "Magnifique".

Best of all, after a long work day, you have the 12 Rigal Cinema inside the hotel.

Room Tip: 15th and 14th floor rooms!!!!
3 Thank Stejimenez
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for flawless service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work for yourself.

102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. First night was not pleased. Check in at 4 PM had only one person working with a few of us in queue. Bellmen we encountered were excellent.

Returned to a frigid room after housekeeping put the A/C on while we were gone. Set the temp. to highest setting, but the air wasn't coming out warm. Called front desk approx. 5 times total. First person I spoke with informed me the A/C is turned off in the room in the winter and the heat turned off in the summer. The Hyatt in Greenwich, CT does the same thing. Getting quite annoying to experience this in hotels. Especially the rates charged at the Conrad. When I check into a hotel and pay several hundred dollars a night, the heat and A/C should be working regardless the time of year! This is not a way for hotels to cutback. The first person checked to see if they could turn the system back on, never returned my call. Took 3 1/2 hrs. to be told there is no heat, nothing can be done. Offered extra sheets/ blanket. Except this does not help the uncomfortable cold air in the room! Turned the hotel provided hairdryer on to get some hot air flowing (which was ridiculously loud for a dryer). Then for 4 hours the odor of fish frying was coming from the heating vents. (restaurant nearby? Last evening there didn't encounter thankfully) Cold room and the smell infuriated us!

Next day there was no hold water in the shower! By now ready to check out of hotel or room change, but had to leave for the business I came to city for. Being irate, at this point, I filled out the comment card on the TV (high tech rooms) and was contacted by a manager almost immediately. Upon returning to the hotel, the heater was now working. Told there is a safety button on shower for the hot water, so that now worked. The managers were definitely on top of this issue and rectified the problem. We were comped 2 glasses of wine at the restaurant which we were going to for dinner anyway. Didn't make up for the aggravation previous night.

Second night was very enjoyable. The rooms are high tech, functional and beautiful!! River views are lovely! Decent closet space, large walk in shower, room dividers (2) which separate bedroom, living room and bath areas. Windows open, although we didn't open them.
Lots of lighting in the room, 2 flat screen TV's, sumptuous robes/upscale slippers and amazing wet bar. 3 Wall panels that control lighting.

There's only one restaurant on property which we dined twice. Both evenings our server "Sammy" provided top notch service! Everything we ordered was outstanding. In room dining breakfast was also excellent too. Although ordered oatmeal twice and the very shallow dish hardly had much in it.

Agree what some one else below said about the high price of internet. 4 & 5 star hotels shouldn't be charging.

Conrad is a terrific property located in a nice quiet area. (bonus in NYC)

(While being pleased with the hotel itself, unsure whether I'll be returning on my next business trip due to the fact they turn off the heat in the summer. Don't want to encounter this problem again)

Stockholm
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed at The Conrad during our first visit to NYC a couple of weeks ago. We are Hhonors gold members and was upgraded to a really nice room at check-in. We got a big corner room on the top floor with river view but also a glimpse of the statue of Liberty. The staff at reception was extremely friendly and serviceminded.

There is no exec lounge at this property. you get a $20 worth voucher for breakfast. You have the choice of 5-6 items on a special Hhonors-menu incl of juice and coffee (or $20-off on the a la carte menu). The room was modern and have a Nespresso-machine and a lounge-area. Outside there are some shops and restaurants. Shake shack and the asian are great. Unfortunately we didn't have time for North end Grill which I got recommended on TA-forum.
As I have never visited Manhattan I was a bit worried about the location. We visited in may and it is near to Battery Park and the water. A great location during the warmer months and I mist admit hat I looked forward to return to the hotel and the area after our days out. The inroom-shower which is mentioned in earlier reviews is great btw. It is a little stroll to the subway but max 10 minutes if ypu walk slowly. Express trains takes you to the more central parts in just a few minutes.

We will definately return to this hotel in the future and are happy that our anniversary-trip to NYC and this hotel was so great.

Room Tip: 1524 was a great room
1 Thank PelleStockholm
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing this review with the TripAdvisor community. We are honored you chose the Conrad New York as your hotel during your first visit to Manhattan, and that we were able to exceed your expectations! I am glad you enjoyed our Battery Park City location and all of the nearby dining and retail options. I am also happy to hear you found public transportation to be easily accessible and convenient for traveling around the city. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Conrad again soon.

Best Regards,

102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282
Email: jimmy.sarfraz@conradhotels.com
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Unfortunately we were only there overnight, but our room was stunning and the service equally so. Would highly recommend! The room had 2 bathrooms, a living/dining area, a huge bedroom with a king size bed. The sliding doors everywhere were so nice. I'm not sure if this hotel was recently remodeled but it is stunning. Getting a cab in the early am to the airport was a breeze.

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My 2nd visit to NYC drew me to the beautiful Conrad Hotel. The modern art in the lobby caught my eye upon check in. The rooms are decked out with modern decor and the most advanced technological features. The nearby movie theater and restaurants kept us entertained at night. The weather was the only damper as the rain prevented us from enjoying the roof top bar. I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed May 2013
las vegas, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Excellent hotel and staff. Decided to move from the Plaza due to location (nothing against the Plaza) and at about a third the price, certainly excellent value. Contemporary decor with well appointed rooms. Only had a chance for one meal which was breakfast. Service quality was average and a bit on the slow side. Food quality also average. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel both for location and value.

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Shanghai, China
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here with the hubbs, who was on business in NYC. We had a whirlwind of a week prior to our trip in NY so all we wanted to do (or should I say, all I wanted to do) was kickback, relax, and soak in the luxury of the hotel.

Convenient location: Walk right outside...to your right is "Pick a Bagel" - New York bagel, please!
I ordered a walnut and pecan cream cheese bagel. Delish! then the following morning, I had salmon and cream cheese on a sesame bagel. FRESHEST salmon I've had, besides salmon in Japan. Yum! Can't beat a NY bagel.

If you walk out...to your left is a convenient foodie mart and Shake Shack (new location!).

If you walk out the hotel's front entrance, make a left, and walk down the street...during lunch hours, there are tons of food trucks.

And if you happen to stay at Conrad in the near future, note that there is construction on West Side Hwy going south so that part of the sidewalk is blocked. But you can walk along the water, and there are signs that'll lead you to South End Avenue. Great lunch spot called Southwest NY. I had the fish tacos, my husband had a char-grilled burger....yum! totally recommend.

Cross West Side Hwy, and there's a Whole Food Market, an awesome coffee shop Kaffe 1668 (on Greenwich and Murray), Barnes & Noble, and lunch food carts on Murray.

Also visible from the hotel is the new 9/11 memorial...didn't have time to visit the site but would recommend.

Rooms: Shower is quite large. We stayed in a suite with a partial river view. Amenities were amazing! Small living room, work table, drinks bar (nespresso machine included...don't mind if I do!), separate bathroom and shower rooms (no fogging up mirrors!), and a bedroom space that was filled with bright natural light.

2 Thank travelgirl9000
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing this review about the Conrad New York. We are thrilled to hear what a fantastic stay you had with us while traveling to NYC with your husband. I am happy to see how much you enjoyed our location and truly took advantage of all the wonderful shops and restaurants located steps from our hotel. I am also happy to hear that you appreciated the guest suite's layout and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Best Regards,