“"AMAZING"”

Ranked #32 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 19, 2013

“Amazing”
This was our experience with the Conrad Hilton downtown New York. After careful planning months in advance this special trip to New York, I decided on the Conrad Hilton. I proceeded to make initial contact with Mr. Jimmy Sarfraz, (Resident Manager), and I introduced myself and to let him know of my upcoming trip to New York and his hotel. This is the most hands on and customer oriented hotel manager I have ever seen throughout my extensive travels. He made sure everything was in place and set for our arrival. Upon stepping in to an expansive lobby and being greeted by friendly and polite desk clerks, I knew this was going to be a great weekend. They made sure everything was in place and very speedy check in and to our room. Room 1023 was spectacular. Immediately walking in the living room, everything was clean, smelled great, beautiful light and just made you feel at home. The rooms are all suites and very large and roomy. The bedroom was superb and comfortable and separated from the living room by an all marble bathroom with in the ceiling shower head, not at all like the other hotel rooms in New York. This was truly a five star hotel room and the service we had was second to none. Since the first day it was raining we ventured inside the hotel and found out that there was an 11 screen Regal movie theater actually inside the hotel itself and the Blue Smoke restaurant. This hotel surpassed everything we could have wanted and more. The second day was nice and airy so we ventured out and found out that the Subway was only a five minute walk from the hotel. There is actually a walk path and bridge over the major highway so we never had to come in contact with any vehicles on the highway and we had the opportunity to walk exactly beside the World Trade Centers, new tower, every time we took the subway. Once in the subway, we took the E Train and in less than 15 minutes we were in time square. Since the hotel is located in Battery Park area it is located on a street that dead ends into a closed off type of section which makes it amazing for no traffic and no congestion of people at all. This made it a great experience to be able to walk out of the hotel and to the subway and not have to fight traffic and people to get there. We arrived on Friday and checked out on Monday and from start to finish there was not one problem we had with the Conrad New York. This is truly now the only hotel we will ever stay at in New York on business or on pleasure. The entire staff goes over and beyond to make you feel great and attend to all of your needs and wants. I met Mr. Sarfraz before I left to personally thank him and let him know just what a truly great hotel he has and what a wonderful manager I thought he was. He is Conrad! In Conclusion, to my partner and I, there is no other hotel, from now on, in New York but the Conrad. “Amazing”.

Room Tip: Room 1023 , quiet and great views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for sharing such a positive review regarding your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to be able to meet you in person while you were here, and I am happy we were able to provide you with a truly memorable stay from start to finish. I am glad you appreciated the level of service you received and enjoyed all of our hotel's amenities as well as our location. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Conrad soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

As a Hilton Diamond member, I am very familiar with all properties and, based on my experience, this hotel provides very poor service and has other issues that will keep me from returning:

1. When we arrived, the doorman took our luggage and gave us a ticket which we gave to the front the front desk asking if it could be sent up shortly as we had a meeting to attend. Kate assured us that it would "be right up". 30 minutes later I went to see where it was, and no one could find it, another 30 minutes it shows up and the valet explains that it was rolled in a closet. Just a mistake.

2. Kate at the front desk did not welcome me back or recognize me as a Hilton honors member; she asked if I would like to join the Hilton Honors program - no problem.

3.When I checked in, Kate described a list of morning newspapers that, she explained, would be delivered to our door each morning. I selected a local paper. Each morning, no paper - although each room around us received a newspaper. Another mistake - not a major issue but it starts to add up.

4. Breakfast - the servers were understaffed, slow and appeared angry (as such, they were unfriendly). I do not need a happy "Good Morning" but a smile goes a long way - or , at least a returned smile. On a positive note - if you just want coffee and a pastry, see Doris at the morning coffee counter who is the most friendly employee on the property. She deserves a gold star for helpfulness and service.

5. Housekeeping - very spotty; one morning they left 2 of the bath gel containers almost empty without replacements and another morning everything was replaced beautifully.

6. Double Room - This visit I stayed in a double room so that my son could stay in a separate bed. There was a bathtub with a handheld device which was to used as a shower but it emitted so little water it took forever to wash off the soap. The king bed rooms are the only rooms with a regular shower. Do NOT stay in a double room if you expect to shower!

7. Other Problems - Ice machines on every other floor with no signage directing to where the machines can be found; Only one bath robe in a double room (silly but what does the other person use); Many cab drivers do not know how to get to the hotel and it's a long walk to the subway;

8. Good things - Doris (see # 4 above). Otherwise, our stay was not intolerable or we would not have stayed. However, we will not return. This was our second visit, the first being several months after the Conrad opened. At that time Management asked us to try again promising that the kinks would be worked out. Not for me. Service is very important - much more important than being a "new amenity property".

Room Tip: Double rooms do not have showers - only a tub with a handheld device which was to used as a shower b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property via TripAdvisor. I appreciate your candid feedback and will use your comments as we continue to evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. I am pleased to hear that Doris was a bright spot in your stay and will let her know she contributed to your experience. We hope to see you again soon so we may show you the quality hospitality and accommodations you deserve.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'll separate my review in 3 sections:

Hotel review:
Great hotel. Everything is clean and newly remodeled. We stayed in room 1422. Only issue I had was at check-in when I was trying to get a hilton member room upgrade and the lady kept saying, "You booked a double for 4 people so we don't have bigger rooms with double beds." It is just an annoyance of mine because I feel like they are blaming you. But she was nice about it. I think it was her european bluntness.

Anyways as a tip, she said if you stay in a room with a king bed, they have 400 sq feet and based on availability you could get a 700 sq feet room.

Room 1422 is one of the highest floors on the south side of the building. Does not have a Hudson River (west of the building).

The staff was so friendly. On our last day, they made our bed and left 2 stuffed animals on our beds for our kids.

The restaurant there is actually really good. if you have the breakfast vouchers, it is not a buffet (like the doubletree guest suites in times square). But if you are in NYC for the food, you won't want to eat heavy anyways.

We stayed with our hilton points so no comment on the price.

For Families:

The Conrad Hotel rooms all have living rooms which is really helpful with kids.
But they did not have a microwave or refrigerator available for us. Also, and I'll get into in the next section, it is a long walk to the subway. We ended up taking the bus so it took us an hour to get anywhere in the city because of the wait times and transfers. They give you a crib but it does take up a lot of space. Also, it is really hard for fathers to go get a quick bite when the wife and kids are sleeping. It wasn't as fun.

For Tourists:
As an out of town tourist, I personally would never stay here again. I just didn't get that NY feel. No traffic, no people, no NY accents. It didn't feel like I was in NY. And it is so far away from anything that you can go back to your hotel real quick. I thought staying away from the crowds of times square would be easier for us. but it was just boring. Even though it's closer to chinatown, it is a long long walk or you have to wait for the bus. So you don't get there any faster.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank addies
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

So i arrived to New York via JFK on a Tuesday and walked into the Conrad at around 10:30pm. As always, i booked the room on hilton.com and the day before my arrival it allowed me to checkin online and make a selection from a choice of 4 rooms, which i did. At the hotel, things were a bit tense when i was informed that my request was not in their system, what upset me was that the reservationist kept referring to me as "this girl" like i was some low life tart, in addition to the manager telling me that he had not heard of their system that allowed room checkins on their website... are you kidding me, seriously?!?! Anyway, the reception area was ultra modern and quite sparce, the room was okay, decent views, nicely sized with standard amenities and quiet when their weren't vehicles backing up with the beeping. General service during my stay as sub par, good service only when $$$ was involved, location was not the best or worst, definitely NYC expensive. Anyway, on a side note, i live in Switzerland and it was a long trip, i expected honesty and common courtesy during my reception (a Swiss thing), well myself and company colleagues will not be staying here in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank WI036
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. One of the cornerstones of the Conrad experience is flawless service, and I assure you that the problems you mentioned with your requested room type and front desk staff have been addressed accordingly. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue, and we hope you will give our hotel a second chance if you return to the area in the future.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to my first stay at the NY Conrad. Rates were high this week, and you had places like DoubleTree trying to gouge $4-500 per day, so I decided to try the Conrad and at least get a nice room with great service.

I booked two nights ar nearly $400 a night. I had hoped for a view. No luck there. I had hoped for a bathtub. No luck there either. In mind mind, that's rather a lot of money for a room with just a shower.

After checking in, I asked if it might be possible to switch to a room with a bath. Not the first night, but the second night was possible. I was told to pack my bags, leave them in the old room, and they would be taken to our new room for us. When I left the next day, I asked for the bags to be picked up. Oh yes, the desk clerk is surly, that particular type of surliness that only New Yorkers can offer, while pretending to be polite.

Upon returning in the late afternoon, I stopped bye the front desk to pick up my new keys. The drama begins. There is a lot of typing. Consternated looks. Mutterings. She walks away for awhile. No new room has been assigned. It's not clear where my bags are. Am not getting happier by the moment.

I decide to go to the room and hope my bags eventually arrive. I gave them bags containing thousands of dollars in computer equipment. I only did this because I was told that my bags would be taken directly to the new room. I could have taken them there myself. I don't even have any receipt for the bags.

After an hour, the bags show up. Cash changes hands (I love tipping for crappy service, but it wasn't the bellman's fault).

I decide to open a bottle of wine to celebrate. Of course, this room in a five star hotel doesn't have a corkscrew. It has wine glasses, an ice bucket and even champagne glasses, but no corkscrew. I ask for one, and 30 minutes later one turns up. Some more cash changes hands. I almost don't even feel like the wine any more.

I guess that I'm just not a 5 star service kind of guy. I like having my bags, not waiting a long time for them. I use small rollaboards and can easily take them without help. I like having free Wifi, not paying $15 per device. I like inexpensive parking, not $50 or more per night. I don't like $8 cans of beer or $20 room service burgers.

Bottom line, I don't like hassles or ripoffs. I like to feel I am getting value for money. Perhaps that makes me something other than a 5 star kind of guy, whether I can afford it or not.

I just don't understand why, the more you spend for a hotel, the less you get. Inexpensive hotels offer free parking, free Wifi, free document printing, inexpensive food delivery, etc. Expensive hotels offer none of these things. What's wring with this pucture?

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank trvlin_man

Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay. We strive to provide personalized experiences for each of our guests, and are always actively looking for ways to maintain value while offering the finest in luxury accommodations and service. I appreciate your review as it provides feedback that I need to re-evaluate guest needs and make the necessary adjustments to our offerings. I hope you will consider giving us another chance in the future to demonstrate our commitment to satisfaction in all areas of the guest experience.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here at the end of December and for New Years Eve. Had a few problems with the room when we first checked in bu the staff and mamagement was VERY accomidating, even sent us a fruit basket after moving us to another room. This was a very busy time of year for the hotel, so that they were able to accomidate and move us was fantastic. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was FANTASTIC and recommendations for eateries as well as foode places in same building were awesome.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your review about your stay with us during New Year's Eve. We are so happy to hear you had a memorable Holiday with us, and that you found the staff to be extremely accommodating. Please accept our apologies for any confusion upon check-in, but I am happy to hear all was quickly resolved. We are also thrilled to know how much you enjoyed your breakfast in ATRIO. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

While I go to NYC a couple of times a year, I rarely stay dowtown and have never stayed at this property. I have mostly very good things to say about the Conrad. First off, the rooms/suites are very spacious. We had a sleeper sofa in the "living room" where our college age daughter slept, with 2 partitions (not at all soundproof) separated her from our bedroom. Bathroom was excellent and quite large by NYC standards. All-in-all the rooms are definitely worth the price.

I would probably not stay here if my primary reason for being in NYC was for the theater. You will spend a fortune in cabs going back and forth. The restaurants in the area are ok, but if you are looking for a little more hip or trendy eatery, then you have a bit of a hike or another cab ride to get there. This is not the fault of the Conrad, just an observation about the location.

The rooftop bar/restaurant is closed from mid fall until late spring, so there is just the one restaurant off the lobby. While not terrible, I would not go there unless you just did not want to venture out of the hotel.

Staff was mostly attentive, but there were some spotty miscues.

Overall I would rate the hotel as a solid 4 stars, but not 5 star material.

Room Tip: Very few rooms have a view, not that this is important to me on a trip to NYC. I think that rooms t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank twhite4809
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your review of the Conrad New York Hotel. We are glad to hear you benefited from the spacious layout of our guest suites while traveling with your family. We also appreciate your feedback about the restaurant and staff. We sincerely apologize if you felt the service was a bit spotty at times. We strive to provide our guests with the highest level of service possible and will use your comments to continue improving. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Conrad in the future.