“Once I put on the robe, I didn't want to leave!”
Review of Conrad New York

Ranked #31 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were attending an event at the brand-new Barlcay Center in Brooklyn. All in all it took us about 15 minutes to walk to the subway, and then another 20 minute ride to BC...when you walk up the steps from the subway, you pretty much walked right into the Barclay Center. We chose a package from the Conrad that included self-parking . The bellman helped us unload our bags and directed us to the 2nd floor for check-in. The parking garage is a block away, not far at all. It was a windy, windy day, and being across from a ferry terminal made it seem even windier! But, the water views, and the view of Jersey are lovely.
We took the escalator to the 2nd floor, a large, very open area which housed a restaurant, meeting/ballrooms, the concierge and elevators. The gift shop and entrance to the gym/spa are also located on the lobby floor. Additionally, there is a coffee shop. The opposite end of the escalators provided access to a movie theater and a "courtyard" filled with shops and restaurants.
There is a sculpture that reaches from the lobby to the 25th floor, it was unique and awe inspiring. The blue cooling/calming colors set the mood for the hotel. Check-in took a little while, but was worth the wait. We were given a suite on the 25th floor. All rooms in the hotel are suites, with a separated living room. We had a sofa and lounge chair and ottoman and triangular table in our living room, and a desk and chair. The 'hallway' between the living room and bedroom consisted of a bathroom and separate walk in shower, opposite side was wet bar, with glasses and coffee cups and coffee maker and mini-bar. There is a tag in the fridge that charges you $25 for removing any items. You could close off the living room from the hallway with pocket doors...there was pocket doors separating the bedroom from the hallway too. Even though we had a show to go to, once I put on my robe, I did not want to leave the room....the robe was fluffy inside and cottony on the outside and it just enveloped me (I felt that way about the room too....I just didn't want to leave).
The bedroom was small, but held 2 separate closets, a tv and king sized bed and a spectacular view of the water. We wanted to keep the blinds up, but we were told they were broken. The wall separating the bedroom from the shower was frosted glass. Bed was comfortable. There are controls on the wall that operate the lights and for privacy. There is also one located as you enter the room and one near the wet-bar. You just push a button if you don't want to be disturbed....
We ordered BBQ from Blue Smoke and they delivered it within 20 minutes. HHonors members get a continental breakfast, juice, danish/rolls and coffee OR...you could apply that $20 towards anything on the menu. I had eggs and toast. It was a nice start to the day.
Oh--ice....you have to call for it, no machines on any floors. When I did I was told it would take around 30 minutes, I went to the bar and just got it myself. The elevator had a smoky glass wall which made it fun to use or watch those that were in it! Yes, there is a huge amount of open space, welcoming to some, a waste to others. I loved it! The artwork, loopy-doopy...loved it, and take the time to realize it's not only in your room, but throughout the hotel. Aside from breakfast, we didn't eat in any of the hotel restaurants.
Being a heartbeat away from the World Trade Center/Twin Towers made us take a moment and reflect. If you choose the Conrad, you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: ask for a water view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2toots
Write a ReviewReviews (3,489)

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Decent location but not anywhere near what I expected from a Conrad. Still felt like an Embassy Suites. Weird sci-fi decor. Cheap furniture in room. Awkward use of space. Very disappointed with hotel. But I did truly enjoy location. Shake Shack just outside lobby. Several other good restaurant choices. Spotted wife's favorite author at BBQ place. Nice movie theater also. Easy cab ride to hustle and bustle. I just wish Conrad would have delivered more luxe experience.

• Stayed: August 2012
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed in the look and feel of our property as we strive to provide world-class service in inspiring environments. We will keep your comments on our decor in mind as we constantly look for ways to improve our guests satisfaction. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities in the city and that you were able to enjoy your time with us. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future so we may show you the quality Conrad experience you expect and deserve.

102 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Being on business trip, I spent 1 night in Conrad. To get there I realized hotel special offer (smth like 199USD++ for Deluxe room). It was one the best hotel room I lived ever. It was 100% equipped and fully organized in details place to achieve client's convenience.
Stylish Deluxe contains 2 rooms separated by unbelievable bathroom. Small kitchen area has all I can imagine ever: different glasses, nespresso machine, minibar, all accessories.
I love this place!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DmitryOK
Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you have to be sick during your Christmas vacation, this is the place to stay. Staff was great in getting us a humidifier, and chicken soup was a few steps outside the hotel at Pick A Bagel. Suite with sliding room dividers made for an easy intensive care unit in the living room. Housekeeping was friendly and understanding about working with shut-ins. Hotel was beautiful, a short post-recovery harborside walk to Battery Park, and a short cab ride to Chelsea Piers harbor tours, Broadway, and Greenwich Village clubs (loved Terra Blues). A wonderful stay under trying circumstances.

Room Tip: Rooms with water views don't have sofabeds.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dan_dee

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are so sorry to hear you were feeling ill during your visit here, but so glad our staff were able to accommodate with all your needs and requests. I am happy you enjoyed the comfort of your guest suite as well as the location of the hotel itself. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay at the Conrad New York when you are feeling fully healthy.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to go to nyc for the holiday season and chose to stay at the Conrad ny, located near Wall Street. Initialing walking into the hotel, we were very impressed, the architecture is over the top and quite beautiful. Check in was so simple and fast. We got to the room(on the 6th floor) and opened the door and was quite taking back by how big the room was. The room has a pretty big living room space, hallway with a separate toilet and shower(which could easily fit 6) and a kitchen area with sink, fridge, and cabinet with glasses and a bedroom which is a good size with double closets. Flat screen TV's are located in both rooms and both TV's have a welcome screen with your name on it. Te stay was great, very comfortable bed and bedding, great bathroom and shower products. The hotel was quite and we were not bothered by anything or anyone. The one strange thing is no ice machine, the hotel is far to swanky for that, you have to call the front desk and they bring you ice in a bucket. The hotel is located about a block from the Hudson River and an amazing view of New Jersey and the Statue of Liberty. The hotel is located relatively close to subway stops so getting to other parts of the city was easy. The only negative I have was that we got a 6am wake up call that we did not ask for :(. Check out was just as fast and simple as check in. Overall it was a great hotel and we had a great experience and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank nichole b
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I would definitely recommend the Conrad New York! The rooms are nice and spacious, they have a nice bar and restaurant (their version of Eggs Benedict is great!) and the staff is superb. While staying at the hotel I had to take several boxes to an office across the street. I asked for help from one of the bellman, Tio. He happily helped me carry the boxes across the street. Once we made it inside of the building, I told him I had it from there. However, I think Tio saw that I would not be able to carry everything on my own and he refused to leave my side. Instead helped me get the boxes through security (which was not an easy task) and up to the offices. There was no way I would have managed it without him. It is that level of commitment to customer service that will ensure that I will definitely stay at the Conrad New York again. Thanks Tio!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sara D
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I just spent 5 nights at the Conrad. It is brand new with huge, modern rooms (especially by Manhattan standards) with amazing bathrooms. The location is not that great if you are a tourist, though it is conveniently located for those who work in the financial sector. There are a few restaurants and eateries nearby: The bagel place (I had a bagel and a very generous fruit cup every morning I stayed there) and the shake shack are great, through you may want to skip the mediocre pizza place.

The staff is generally nice and polite. I was not too happy with the room service which did not leave me additional shampoo, conditioner and body wash (I doubt they checked to make sure there would be enough for next use!). Plus I noticed that the body cream, which I would not use anyway, was open. The shoe shine was complementary, though the quality was not very satisfactory. The biggest negatives are the endless additional fees:
- $65 parking (this is not midtown)
- Local call fee and domestic call fee (I believe with a $10 connection fee)
- $15 internet fee (no complementary internet in lobby)
- Early departure fee, most hotels have this fee but most good hotels instantly waive this fee if sufficient notice is given (even if you have already checked in). This waiver is especially important for business travelers who may not know how many days they need to stay in town until they get there.
- $25 fee to take mini-bar contents out for personal use of the mini-fridge (see photo). If you need to keep your insulin, medicines, baby formula or midnight snack refrigerated, be prepared to pay their fee.

In summary, it seems their nightly rate is not high enough to cover their cost and the hotel is forced to make up the difference with additional fees. Maybe the hotel managers should consider removing the fees and covering the costs with higher occupancy rates.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EkiAndi
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your input on the service and value at our hotel and we apologize if our fees were not made clear at the time of booking. We strive to offer the quality accommodations our guests deserve at an affordable rate by offering optional amenities at an additional charge. We will work harder to ensure this is clear to our future guests so similar confusion is avoided moving forward. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality stay you deserve from us the next time you are in the area.