“Almost my suite style”

Conrad New York
Ranked #32 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed at Conrad for three nights!
Suite was beautiful! It is nice to see your name on the screen when you enter the room! Spacious and relaxing. All up to date electronics and lighting, almost a bit overboard.
Not a fan of the bathroom because the door doesnt close or lock, you can hear everything from the outside and also see from the extra space left where the door swings open. The shower was amazing, hot water took awhile but eventually was a great shower (would have liked a tub). Bed was also a plus, the pull out couch was very UNcomfortable. Also, it wouldn't hurt to teach housekeeping to knock more than once before entering. On to parking, I understand it is NY but charging per night is a bit much. What happened to per stay? Even though my stay didn't have any issues besides the design of the room, this isn't the best Hilton property or a top choice.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I recently booked a room at the Conrad through Hotwire for a rate of $250 with taxes and fees. It was a great deal for the quality of the hotel. We stayed on the Saturday night before Christmas. We secured a parking spot on the street about 1 block from the hotel - instead of having to pay for parking (we drove in from NJ). The check in process was easy and exceptionally pleasant due to the high quality of service provided by Kasheena at the front desk. I asked for a high floor and she happily obliged. The hotel is conveniently located to the subway and other public transportation. It's also directly across the street the Irish Hunger Memorial which is a really unique memorial in NYC. The room was large compared to most NYC hotel rooms. The rooms really had every amenity one could want. I highly recommend staying at the Conrad.

1  Thank JerseyGirl2175
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I came here with my BF for a weekend trip. I had noted in my reservation that we were celebrating our anniversary. At check-in, Gary upgraded us to a suite on the top floor facing the river. We were already impressed with the spacious and blue lobby, but this was a really nice gesture and we went up to our room with huge smiles on our faces.

The room is huge, especially for NYC standards. Super modern. I spent a good 10 minutes playing with the light switches. My favorite part of the room was the gigantic walk-in shower with the rainfall shower head. I swear I could have a party in there.

Having read reviews from earlier, I knew there was a Shake Shack right around the corner from the entrance. It was our very first stop and we brought the food back to up to our rooms. As we were pigging out, there came a knock on our door. Gary sent up a bottle of champagne and chocolates! So nice!! The amazing service made our stay.

The only downside was the location. If you're going to the touristy stuff, it's not in a central location. We walked around looking for some brunch. The streets were very quiet with little foot traffic and cars. We opted to stay in the hotel most of the time because staying in our warm room seemed like a better idea than walking 10 minutes to the nearest metro station in the cold. Definitely wouldn't mind it in the summer though.

We were only here for 1 night. We went to the W afterwards and we spent the entire time grumbling about how everything wasn't as nice as the Conrad. Conrad, you've spoiled me!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

You'll want to take at least two showers a day. This hotel has amazing showers. They are the size of my first apartment, beautifully appointed, tropical shower head and waterjet, totally separated from the bathroom. (My only objection, shared by other reviewers, is that the frosted glass means that sleepers can get woken up by the light from the shower is they are light-sensitive.)

Otherwise, it was the best of hotels, it was the worst of hotels. The room might be NYC's biggest, very comfortable beds, excellent climate control and very quiet. It takes a while to figure out the technology in the rooms but once you do you'll appreciate being able to turn on and off everything from the bedside.

Likewise the food was excellent, both breakfast and dinner...but expect NYC hotel prices.

The problems were all in the service. while the staff was unfailingly polite, first, it took 45 minutes to get an extra duvet, late at night when we got in. We ordered at 10:30 PM, called at 10:50 to be told five more minutes, called again at 11:00 to be told "he'll be there in a couple of minutes," and then at 11:10 they called us to say they were out of duvets. When we finally got one the next morning it didn't have a duvet cover on it.

Then, at breakfast they lost our order. (Considering how high-tech they are, they take orders the same way they took orders during the Eisenhower Administration.) At least that time they brought us extra fresh OJ ($7) and pastries to put the smile bac kon our faces.

Then the next day the room key stopped working and didn't work even after they "fixed" it.

One of two service quality issues could be an aberration but 3 is more like a problem. It's as though they spent all their money on the incredibly dramatic lobby and beautiful rooms and as a a result had nothing left to hire staff with.

I am rating "value" high because I would have left really miffed if I paid the rack rate or close to it, but for the $229 hotwire rate, it was a terrific deal and we would definitely go back

Room Tip: do not get a room at the back of the hotel -- overlooks the west side's major thoroughfare. And...
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My daughter treated us to a riverside suite for a three night stay over Christmas, our anniversary and to be near a grandchild that was just born. Smart girl that she is, she also arranged for valet parking. We really appreciated that as I don't know what we would have had to pay to use the parking lot around the corner on our own. We walked to our choice of very nice nearby coffee shops and restaurants and took cabs where ever we needed to go. One morning I was holding an open umbrella, carrying coffee and had just received a phone call. Two door men were inside the doors talking and oblivious to the fact that I needed help. Another, very considerate guest rushed to give me a hand.
As for the suite, it was the largest and most pleasant I have ever stayed in. I didn't like that there was not the usual complimentary coffee machine in the room, though. The charge would have been $8 for coffee from the fancy machine that I probably would not have known how to use anyway. As a result, I was turned off and didn't want to stand on line and pay for coffee in the hotel lobby. I went out in the rain instead. The sitting room had a TV and sliding doors to separate it from the rest of the suite. The bedroom had a large TV and another set of sliding doors. Between the two was a huge shower and a separate room with a toilet, sink and large vanity with generous open shelves below. It was really nice to be able to spread out my toiletries and still have the room look neat and organized. I also loved that my husband could sleep as late as he liked and I was able to close both sets of frosted glass doors (not solid wood that would darkened the spaces) and read the complimentary newspaper of my choice or to watch TV without disturbing him. I found the bed very comfortable but the pillows were not. They were very thick and not soft. After waking with a stiff neck the first morning, I needed to really fuss with the pillow several times a night to sleep on its corner while pushing the foam to the center the rest of the time. My neck is still a little sore, as I rotate it as I type. The concierge did turn out to be pleasant but she did need a moment to warm up. After the ice was broken, she smiled and gave us very good recommendations for dinner. I will give her a pass on this and assume she was handling a challenging situation before I approached her.

Room Tip: My daughter requested the riverside suite and I assume she paid extra for this. During the winter, w...
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is one very odd place. The modern design is sleek to look at, but they have destroyed the "suiteness" of the hotel rooms. One shower wall is frosted glass facing the bedroom, so a light on in the shower will wake someone trying to sleep. The sliding glass door to the bedroom does not block sound very well, so a conversation or television in the living area will wake someone up as well. And here's the worst: The frosted glass wall of the toilet room facing the living room allows people in the living door to view whether the toilet user is standing, sitting, leaning forward, whatever. The frosted glass door to the toilet room swings and does not "shut"; there is a gap of about an inch all around the edge. So any sound made in the toilet room is fully audible to anyone in the living area. Having a couple of friends over for a glass of wine in your living area is like entertaining them in a public bathroom!

On other notes, the bed is great, the service poor (45 minutes to get bags delivered, no one answering calls, etc.) and I echo others' statements about it being strange to have to wait thirty minutes for ice to be delivered as opposed to just getting it yourself.

I loved the old Embassy Suites and stayed there several times. The owners have taken tens of milions of dollars and turned genuine suite rooms into rooms with less privacy than a normal hotel room.

Room Tip: If you will be staying by yourself, this is an option for you.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Peter L
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear Peter,

Thank you for sharing such candid feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your input on our new suites and new perspectives allow us to review our rooms and make any necessary changes. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed in our new design and we will share your comments on privacy issues with our facilities team to look into possible solutions. We strive to provide our guests the best in service and accommodations and we hope to have another chance to show you the real quality in staying with us, should you return to the city in the future. We welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to make and invite you to message us directly to speak further about your stay.

Alex Joset
Marketing Manager

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I've always trusted Tripadvisor and have thought the reviews were reflective of the stay. Hence, despite many hotel stays, this is my first review. In my opinion, the current high score for this hotel is misleading.
I was here for a conference early in December, and the positives are true (and what you should expect from a 5 star hotel in NYC). The location is relatively convenient. I enjoyed the decor and the new-ness of the hotel. Rooms are HUGE.
However...
My low rating is relative to its positioning as a 5* business hotel in NYC. It was clear there are some growing pains. I don't know if it has to do with being new, or all of the attempts at integrating the technologies have not truly come together yet. Here are the issues:
1. On the first evening, I tried to call down to get something delivered to my room. None of the buttons resulted in anyone picking up. (Dial 0, Service button, Concierge button, etc.) I tried at 5 min intervals for about 20 mins before someone picked up the phone!
2. In the morning, I found out from my colleague he had ordered food, they said they were backed up and it would take an hour, it took 2.
3. When I was checking out, they did not have enough bell staff to bring bags up from storage, so there was a much extended wait. Even after, they made the guests follow the bellhop to where the luggage was stored... made very little sense because the new people coming up to get their bags had no idea what to do.
4. This is perhaps the most egregious. They should have known our conference would conclude on Friday afternoon. No taxis, cars, lined up. I was one of the first out and had asked for a cab, was told "sure." 10 mins later, the same guy was helping people unload bags and not addressing the line of 30 people starting to pile out of the hotel, waiting for a cab. I finally walked around the corner and had to use a random car service. It was a fiasco.

Long story short, I think they are understaffed to handle elevated volumes of guests that are checking in/out in the afternoon, which I think is table stakes for a business hotel in NYC.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ChoTravel84
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent business stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests as new perspectives help us to continually adjust our practices to best meet and exceed your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues encountered in conjunction with your meeting and the wait times during check-in/out. We will use your suggestions on how to better conduct the flow of traffic for future group guests. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and amenities you deserve, should business bring you back to the city in the future.

Alex Joset