“Excellent choice-very spacious”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dana Point
“Excellent choice-very spacious”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our family of four stayed here this summer for 2 nights. Suite was spacious, clean & modern. Lobby was spectacular. Easy access to eating establishments in walking distance. We taxied up to midtown one day (about $12) & spent all day there. Taxis available right outside the Conrad whenever we needed one. Second day was spent in lower Manhattan and we walked everywhere--Liberty & Ellis island ferry, battery park, hudson river, financial district, ground zero, etc. (see free walking tours of NY). The phone system didn't seem to work in the hotel, but having a cell phone made that a non- issue for me. Kids used pull-out couch bed in the living room part of the suite--it was brand new. Best part--large, clean room in convenient location. Worst part--service & phones left something to be desired. All in all, I definitely recommend a stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is the only Conrad Hotel in NYC and was opened recently after the former Embassy Suites Hotel was closed for a substantial renovation.

This has been a true transformation into a superb downtown hotel.

Let's start with the lobby, very impressive with its modern trends and and excellent use of high tech lighting, particularly enjoyable at night time.

The rooms, we had two couples in different room configurations and was impressed with the total rehab meaning Embassy Suites is no longer recognizable and this is a genuine Conrad product with dark paneled walls and brand new bathrooms. Both bathrooms did not have bath tubs which we really didn't miss being NYC and having so much to see and do. The shower was big and worked well, however bathroom space is small. Beds very comfortable and we enjoyed a great view from a high floor over the Hudson River. The wet bar area was a nice touch. They have built on the former layout with a small lounge area which made for a great space for a little party.

Here come the negatives, the hotel has one main restaurant off the lobby, Atrio, where we ate breakfast 2 consecutive days, unfortunately service on both mornings was close to hopeless! This is NYC the pace here moves fast and this restaurant was clearly understaffed on both occasions. Also, if you want to really frustrate yourself press the Operator or Front Desk button on the telephone, and after 5 or 6 minutes you will be wondering where everybody is and what would happen if I had an emergency?? Eventually we phoned the hotel from our mobile and the call was answered immediately whereas the internal calls from registered guests were completely ignored!

Overall a great hotel at a great price in a non-touristy location, has plenty of restaurants in the neighborhood, a CVS just across the road to help you stock up and avoid abuse of the mini-bar!

Great value for money and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Harv and Les C
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 28, 2012

When the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park was without power after Sandy we ended up housing our wedding guests at The Conrad and couldn't have been more pleased with them. I could hang out in the hotel lobby for hours. The rooms are spacious by New York standards and extremely modern and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Estero, Florida
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Visited NYC for the first time in YEARS for Thanksgiving weekend. I was traveling with my mother and my chihuahua - we stayed at the Conrad in New York. The hotel was great, rooms were huge (used to be an Embassy Suites) and the renovations they did to the hotel are fantastic. The hotel is super modern and the rain shower was just beyond - I did not want to get out of the shower. Most importantly, the rooms were CLEAN and the hotel staff was nice - thank you so much to the gentleman working all weekend at the Conceirge's desk who helped us get around the city. The only complaint (and not really even a complaint but would skip it next time) was the restaurant - it was ok - I would recommend eating elsewhere. We ate there for Thanksgiving and the food was not bad but it was not great either. FYI - the place around the corner (Pick a Bagel) had great paninis and is a great spot for breakfast or lunch. Hotel's location is great, it is in the financial district/tribeca which is relatively quiet at night, we enjoyed this very much. Overall, we had a wonderful time and would definitely stay at this hotel again. If you stay here, hope you have as wonderful time as we did and enjoy NYC!

Room Tip: We stayed on a high floor - great room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We celebrated Thanksgiving in NYC and stayed at The Conrad for three nights. Greeted by a great ambience in the lobby upon arrival, we were meet with friendly service. The rooms are so nice and modern with touch lighting. The huge walk in shower was the most amazing shower ever!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear peamrhein,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay with us. We are so happy to hear you had a memorable visit during the Thanksgiving Holiday! We are glad you enjoyed the service as well as the room design, and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Best Regards,
Alex Joset
Marketing Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was here literally the week after Superstorm Sandy, but you'd never know anything was amiss here. This hotel backs right up to the Goldman Sachs headquarters in lower Manhattan. It is handy to the World Financial Center and its shops, and well located for lower Manhattan including the World Trade Center site. My room was large and comfortable, althought a little strangely laid out - no closet, and a separate shower area and toilet. The food was absolutely exquisite and service was very pleasant and efficient. I was here for a conference and they did a great job with our needs. The only thing to be aware of is that public transportation is not so convenient from this location, especially if the weather is bad. Taxis are readily available.

Room Tip: I prefer a lower floor to miss elevator delays.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Conrad for a business conference we held at the Conrad's for a week in total, so I got quite a good overall impression of facilities, cleanliness, location and especially staff.
Rooms: As you maybe read a lot of times, the Conrad offers great rooms! Spacious, clean, not noisy and partly with a fantastic view on Hudson River. (while I am writing this review, I am sitting on my bed on 10th floor).
A seperate lounge area with an additional huge tv screen, a desk, a bar with fridge and sink - basically everything you could ask for. I love the bathroom and waterfall shower, they are sooo great to start the day. The bedroom has a very comfy bed with a nice pillow menu. Turndown service is part of the service, too. Nothing to complain about, really. A very beautiful room with lots of space.
MIssing: I do have a container / bucket on my bar for ice - and I walked up and down the entire floor - but there is no ice machine anywhere around. Neither of my colleagues has seen one, too, so I guess there just aren't ice machines. (I did not ask.... maybe I will do that later today).

Meeting facilities: Several meeting rooms, well-equipped, with daylight, are located on lobby level (2nd level). Also spacious and clean as the entire hotel.

Gym: Gym is ok. For the size of the hotel, this is a little small, some cardio equipment, some weights and mats - that's it. Nothing to get fancy about, but everytime I was there, I got a free cardio stepper or bike. Water, tower and apples are complimentary. You can also plug in your ipod on the stepper etc. Very well maintained.

Staff: Well.... most of the staff is really nice and helpful, especially the staff for meeting and ballroom issues. The door boys are not overly friendly - 9 out of 10 times I had to open the doors for myself even though they were on the spot with obviously nothing to do. I am not the fance type of woman - wearing sneakers and jeans instead of highheels and short skirts - which gave me the impression I was ignored while other guests were not. But this is my personal impression....

F&B service: The breakfast is great - the service is bad. I had to wait for an hour until I got part of my breakfast - the waiter forgot to bring the rest so I had to take a bagel to go cause I couldn't wait any longer. This was today, lets see how it works out tomorrow.

Location is really nice - restaurants very near by, a cinema right in the hotel, the Hudson river in front of the door.... great!!!

One more thing that annoyed me: Today, the housekeeping removed all my personal stuff in the bathroom such as hair spray, deodorant, shower gel, make up.... They maybe thought I was checking out. When I came back and noticed everything was gone - I called Housekeeping and they were really helpful and nice and tried to find my belongings.
I described to them what I was missing - most of it were products we gave to our participants during the business conference - but some was very personal and expensive MAC make-up and deodorant etc. Also the bathrobe was missing (they are really cozy and nice!)
So what happened is that they brought me a bag with some of the products we left after the conference - yes it was mainly the products I was missing but still - not the ones from my room. And no make up, no deo. That is still missing and the search goes on.
I don't think this all was on purpose - people make mistakes and things like this just happen.
But if I rebuy my items it's at least a 150 Dollar purchase. That hurts.
I am changing to another NYC hotel tomorrow.
Overall - the Conrad is a great place to stay if you can afford it.
Neat, clean, spacious, modern and well-located.

Room Tip: I had room 1033 on 10th floor. With Hudson river view. very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business