“Fabulous Hotel”

Conrad New York
Ranked #32 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 22, 2012

What's not to love about this hotel? The beautiful atrium which highlights a breathtaking work of art (Loopy Doopy) is just the beginning of the attention to details that make this hotel so special. I've stayed in several hotels in NYC and I think this one stands out above the rest for value, comfort and atmosphere. The rooms have a sleek and sexy feel with a nice modern edge to them. The beds are super comfy with exceptional linens and pillows. The walk in shower was amazing, thanks to the rain shower head (such a nice feature). Another notable detail is the lighting throughout the room. The touch panel lights are just great; having a control panel beside the bed for all the lights is wonderful. I adored the rooftop bar with it's intimate seating and amazing view of the Hudson River. This is definitely a hotel I will return to again and again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca M

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am always shocked when I see a hotel undergo a complete renovation and they get so much wrong.

Switching from Embassy Suites to Conrad branding brings with it lots of changes. Much more friendly and helpful staff. More focus on the upper-end business traveler. The lobby isn't very inviting, in fact it is very sterile. Nothing like the Conrad in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore.

The carpet, wall paper and paint are all very nice, the rooms look very modern but they are missing quite a bit.

Do you charge your cell phone at night? Good luck finding a place for that. If you move the nightstand away from the wall you will find an outlet but you will probably have to unplug the alarm clock to charge your phone. How about using your laptop? Outlets are hard to come by and most hotels nowadays have USB available but not here.

Want to take a nice soaker bath, not here. I had a suite and it only had a shower.

Like I said, nice people (especially for NY) and high level of service but, its still an embassy suites inside, minus the awesome breakfast and free drinks.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AkulaTheShark
Reviewed September 16, 2012

A brand new hotel, and it felt like it. A large atrium, with fancy decoration; and the room was large. I apparently had an upgrade (it was Labor Day weekend), and got a room that probably fancied itself as a suite.

The room was large and comfy. Proper HD televisions in both the lounge area and the bed area (with an annoying fault that broke up the picture every half an hour). The lighting was controllable by the TV remote, or by complex switches on the wall (which are entirely flat, using touch-sensitive areas, and therefore impossible to operate unless you have the lights on and put on your glasses). I stayed for two days, and kept discovering new lights I was hitherto unaware of. The place was nice and quiet, which was nice for New York.

The wifi was paid-for, which is disappointing for a hotel of this calibre, and, naturally, the cost of the wifi was absent from any booking information on any website. I think this is misleading, to be honest, but there you go. It was fast and good quality. But it was a hidden cost, which is a bad thing.

A colleague gave me his breakfast vouchers (apparently you get them if you've lots of points on their frequent-staying programme). The free breakfast, in a cold-feeling and impersonal restaurant off the main atrium, consisted of a coffee (in a French Press/Cafetiere), and two slices of toast - with jam! - delivered with pointless theatrical excitement by the waiter who clearly would rather I was spending money with him instead of using a voucher.

The location is slightly off the beaten track, with the closest bars, diners or real restaurants around two or three blocks away. Probably very useful for Wall Street and the financial district, though.

There's a rooftop bar, which sounds nice, but is in fact surprisingly small. They do sell craft beers (in bottles), for which they get some credit from me. The view's not bad either.

TV channels, sourced from Time Warner Cable, were limited to US domestic channels; no BBC World News or equivalent. There was a "world radio" application on the telly, but that didn't list any recognisable radio stations on it at all - the only UK radio station on there was something called "RockRadio1" which, after 23 years in the radio business in the UK, was a brand I'd never heard of. No BBC World Service, which, given it's the world's largest radio news brand, was perplexing.

To be honest, this hotel wasn't my cup of tea; but these types of hotels rarely are. I liked the HD telly; but the largeness of this hotel and the impersonal feel of it made me less impressed with the place overall.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank unclejames
Reviewed September 16, 2012

As a frequent visitor to New York who generally stays in Midtown, I sprung for something different and chose the Conrad in order to explore Lower Manhattan and get away from all the action. Being a designer, hotel junkie and online follower of this hotel, I’ve always wanted to stay at this particular Conrad and experience its design and service first-hand.

LOCATION: Conrad New York is located at North End Avenue and Vesey Street, literally in the shadow of the new World Trade Center and World Financial Center and directly across from the Irish Hunger Memorial with a view onto the Hudson River and the Jersey City coastline. That being said, it is surrounded by office and residential towers, which allows for a quieter atmosphere away from the frenzy of Midtown but still grants easy access to it. Greenwich Village, SoHo, Tribeca and Chinatown are all within walking distance for those inclined to it. John F. Kennedy International Airport is about forty-five minutes to an hour away.

ENTRANCE/LOBBY: The hotel is a relatively conservative fifteen-story brick building that blends in with its locale, but punctuated by a tall glass window above the entrance that runs the full height of the building. The entrance is the wow factor: angled railings and marble stairs with two escalators at the right lead guests up to the second floor atrium lobby, which has a spectacular blue and purple abstract mural that spans all fourteen interior floors [for those interested, it’s titled Loopy Doopy by Sol LeWitt]. The space is dimly lit and very intimate with long, curvy grey seating illuminated by orange lights along the bottom of the furniture, but remains very open and airy thanks to the atrium. The space is dotted with art by local and international artists, so artistic types will definitely appreciate these touches. Massive curved light fixtures hang from the roof, adding more to the artsy/architecture-themed vibe.

The right side of the lobby features the Atrio Restaurant & Bar, the hotel’s only restaurant, as well as the entrance to the fitness center while the other houses the front desk, bell desk, concierge and access to the hotel’s business center and meeting facilities. Check-in was conducted within five minutes and our Hilton Honors membership was acknowledged by the courteous, efficient staff.

ROOMS: All rooms at Conrad New York are suites and are brand new following a multi-million dollar renovation and conversion of the building from an Embassy Suites. This allows the rooms to be among the largest in New York at well over 400 square feet with separate living and sleeping areas, which brings me on to my next point: the design.

The [heavy] doors are unlocked by holding the keycard in front of the lock, opening onto the living area with a couch, armchair, table, desk and large television with a small corridor housing the wet bar and safe to one side and the split bathroom on the other and leading to the bedroom, where the king bed, closets, another television and windows are. The color theme is very neutral and masculine with a lot of beige and some browns, with the bedroom featuring black leather bedheads. Both the bedroom and living room can be sequestered from one another thanks to sliding panels. All lights are controlled by nifty touch panels rather than switches.

The bathroom is an interesting feature that I’m sure will elicit different reactions from different guests. In the corridor between the living room and bedroom are two frosted glass doors next to one another separated by a large floor-to-ceiling mirror: one is a room with the toilet and a sink with generous counter and shelving space while the other is a stone shower room with a rain shower head and handheld wand. The doors cannot be locked from the inside and since they’re part of the open room concept, it may be less than ideal for families or non-intimate friends and company but this can be remedied by the sliding doors between the living room and bedroom. I personally loved the concept, but it’s definitely not for everyone. The toiletries from Aromatherapy Associates were absolutely fantastic [I even took some back with me] and the water pressure from the rain shower head was spectacular; I could’ve spent hours under there. One quibble: the water could’ve been hotter on its maximum setting.

Word of warning: all rooms facing the Hudson River do not have pull-out sofa beds in the suite living rooms but other city-view rooms do. I was travelling with parents and sacrificed a pull-out so they could enjoy a river view, but the couch was quite comfortable even without the pull-out. Housekeeping comes over during the evening for a turndown in which they prepare the sofa with linens, pillows and a blanket for maximum comfort.

FOOD/BEVERAGE: The hotel only has one restaurant, Atrio. Located just off the lobby on the second floor, it is an intimate space with seating for about 150 diners. We booked the Bed & Breakfast package that entitled us to a complimentary breakfast there each morning. The breakfast, however, is relegated to a special menu shared with Hilton Honors’ top-level members and consists of orange and grapefruit juices and a choice of oatmeal, pastries, prosciutto and one or two other items. The main breakfast menu, consisting of things like egg dishes and more comprehensive foods, was also available but subject to a separate charge. Although the food quality and presentation is top-notch, we got bored of being presented with the same special menu for our stay package every morning of our stay and felt somewhat short-changed that everything else was chargeable, especially for the premium we paid for the Bed & Breakfast package. I would strongly recommend that the hotel offers a variety of special menus for its top-level/package guests that incorporate eggs and other foods that rotate throughout the week. This would at least provide a wider choice of items to please diners and guests alike.

My family also held my birthday dinner at Atrio and we found the menu selection to be on the small side, but it offered a decent choice of chicken, meat, seafood and other dishes. The staff and chefs were also very accommodating to our dining needs, offering to slice up a steak dish in a certain way that deviated from the menu.

The hotel has a rooftop bar called the Loopy Doopy Bar on the sixteenth floor with direct elevator access from the lower lobby off the street. It’s a small outdoor space with sofa/individual/bar seating with a backdrop of the Hudson River, World Financial Center towers and a view towards the Statue of Liberty. We loved this venue; it’s intimate, comfortable and the selection of drinks was fantastic, but it gets packed in the evenings. I strongly recommend the vodka popsicles and Prosecco on tap.

For those interested in nearby non-hotel nourishment, the Conrad building is home to a Shake Shack, Blue Smoke [a barbeque-themed eatery by Shake Shack’s Danny Meyer] and the more upscale North End Grill [also by Danny Meyer].

LEISURE: There is a 24-hour fitness center off the second floor lobby adjacent to Atrio, but none of us used it during our stay. The hotel doesn’t have a pool, but that’s a rare luxury that very few New York hotels offer to begin with. There is also an 11-screen Regal Cinema in the same building.

FACILITIES: The Conrad has the usual offering of meeting rooms and conference facilities which see good use due to the hotel’s location in Lower Manhattan; all the nearby companies descend on this place when they need a close-by venue. The hotel offers a business center with complimentary Internet access and printing, but two of the three computers still run Windows XP, which is antiquated for a hotel that just opened and especially in late 2012. Also, the hotel has a strict and very inconvenient content control system that blocks websites at its jurisdiction; many automotive blogs I frequent were met with “blocked” messages that disallowed access to them. Lastly, Internet access in the rooms and lobby are chargeable at $14.95 for a day’s use, which is daylight robbery in this day and age.

SERVICE: The hotel really shines on this point, as it should befitting its positioning as a luxury Conrad. The staff members were very friendly, efficient and seemed to enjoy their jobs – something that reflects in the way they deal with customers. A lot of them would also stop to have conversations with us, which was a nice personal touch. I would like to give special mentions to Morris, Gabriel and Danny from the bell desk, Allison and Beth from the reception, Mehdi, Rasheed and Avis from housekeeping and Omar from Atrio for really going above and beyond to making us feel at home, anticipating our needs and just being fantastic in their own ways.

OVERALL: I love this hotel. It may be out of the way for the tourist crowd, but I found its location to be a perfect springboard into the often-neglected sights of Lower Manhattan. The property as a whole is extremely refined, luxurious without being stuffy and, save the niggles regarding Internet charges and the food and beverage menus, an all-around five-star win. I will be back.

Room Tip: Spring for one of the river-view rooms for a dead-on view of the Irish Hunger Memorial, Hudson River...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Khaled B
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Andy the conceirge was excellent
you can get good rates on weekends
the employee from kosovo helped us with our coffee machine and was very helpful
I would stay here again
you will need to get tickets in advance for the 9/11 memorale ask Andy

Room Tip: Whole Foods is near by
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed here last week when I couldn't get a room at my "regular" hotel. This is a fabulous property, it is hip, modern and cozy all at the same time. It was nice to have separate rooms in my suite. It was luxurious and you won't be sorry you stumbled in here!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear irishupfl,

Thank you for posting your review! We are please to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Conrad New York and appreciated our over-sized guest suites. We hope to welcome you back in the future

Best Regards,
Alex Joset
Marketing Manager

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for only one night to celebrate our anniversary. We enjoyed our stay, but it could have been better.

The hotel itself is gorgeous. It's modern, artistic, clean, and in the perfect location. We chose a river-view suite and were placed on the 9th floor. We were worried because our room was near the elevator, but there was no noise from the hallway or the street. The suite was impeccable and the view gorgeous. The bathroom was huge and I loved the shower so much I'll be getting the same kind installed in my house when we do the bathroom over! The bed was super comfy and I loved that the bath towels were over-sized. The turn down service was a nice touch and delivery of the Sunday Times was appreciated.

A few small nit-picky things about our room/hotel:
- We couldn't find any pay per view movies on TV. Maybe it was us, or maybe there weren't any. But it shouldn't be that hard to find a movie if you want one.
- The cable (satellite perhaps?) kept having some problems - I imagine due to rain in the area.
- The lighting throughout the elevator hallways and the rooms runs on the dark side. I would have preferred the bathroom lighting to be a bit brighter for make-up application, etc.
- The refrigerator was stacked full of expensive mini-bar items and I had nowhere to keep beverages chilled.

However, it was not these things that keep me from giving the hotel 5 stars. It was the reception and reservation personnel. Let me clarify that the valet, bellhops, cleaning staff, and everyone else we encountered were wonderful. But we did not think the folks at reception met our expectations for a 5 star hotel.

To begin with, we had booked our hotel using credit card miles. The credit card company told us to call the hotel 24 hours prior to confirm. When I did, the woman on the phone was not just unfriendly, she was borderline rude when I didn't have the confirmation # handy or the credit card # handy. I also wanted to give her my Hilton Honors reward number, but she told me not to bother because we wouldn't get credit for the stay. This was not what I usually do, but I let it go, figuring that we'd give it to the hotel at check-in. When I told her we were coming to celebrate our anniversary and asked if the hotel had anything special to offer, she flatly said there was nothing. I figured that she must just be busy or having a bad day, and decided to let it go.

Unfortunately, I think we had the same woman when we checked in. When she pointed the elevators out to us, we jokingly asked about making them work (because everything was so high tec) and she didn't even crack a smile. In fact, she seemed clearly annoyed by our presence. And it wasn't because they were busy. In addition, while we are not gold HH members, we've always had Hilton hotels honor us or welcome us in a way that differentiated us from everyone else. It's why it's our preferred chain. No such luck here. Honestly, I've felt more welcomed at a Hampton Inn than I did at Conrad, which is a shame since the hotel is so lovely and luxurious. I was also a little disappointed that nothing special was done to acknowledge our anniversary. Even the 5 star restaurant we ate at (Bouleys) sent over a dessert with a hand-written card. Perhaps I was expecting too much. I just think that when you stay someplace special, you should feel special, and that didn't come across here.

The other disappointment was the Rooftop Bar. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was the location and view. But during our stay, the bar was not open. It had closed that evening due to rain and didn't open on Sunday until 4 pm.

One other thing to note is that the only option for parking here is really the valet service. Street parking is largely non-existent and local garages are priced the same as valet ($50/night). Valet service was quick.

The bottom line is that the Conrad is a nice, modern hotel in a great location. I would definitely stay here again, I would just manage my expectation differently.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mragan
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear mragan,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent stay with us. I am happy you enjoyed the hotel overall but do apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your visit. I will have a member of our team contact you privately to discuss your stay further and try to resolve these issues. We hope you decide to visit us again in the future!

Best Regards,