“An oasis in the city...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Conrad New York

Conrad New York
Ranked #28 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Corte Madera, California
“An oasis in the city...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is the way all hotels ought to be. I'm in Germany, it's the middle of the night in New York, I am waiting for my flight across the Atlantic. I call the Conrad and tell them I need a car to pick my family and me up at EWR when I arrive later that afternoon their time. Two minutes later, I am off the phone with the hotel arranging my airport pickup and billing the car to my room. It was that simple for me. It was that efficient and done that well by the staff at the Conrad. Thank you Kate Hughes! It didn't stop there. When my family and I arrived an hour later than scheduled because of the trans-Atlantic flight, we were welcomed by a great doorman and bell staff. At the front desk, a very genuine welcome and a request that if we didn't mind waiting a little bit longer, they would secure us a room a little higher up with a better view. We went to the lounge as guests of the hotel while our room was prepared. He didn't leave us there but came over every few minutes to find out how we were doing. While this was going on, the concierge, Mark, arranged for my son, who just graduated from college, to get a haircut and his first shave in weeks from the in house hotel barber. Very efficient there too. Great Barber, haircut and shave at a very reasonable rate, especially for Manhattan. In fact, they did my wife's hair the next day too, and it was terrific. The hotel delivers, if attentions and service are what you value. It is every bit as good and perhaps better than R.C. and some boutique brands. We love this place. The room was quite nice, once you figured out the multiple electronic gizmos for the lights and so forth. Very comfortable beds. extremely fast internet everywhere in the hotel. Numerous restaurants and even a movie, right in the building. Except for the fact that Manhattan lurked out there, the Conrad was a self contained unit. We didn't have to leave. There is a beautiful promenade along the Hudson River right outside the hotel if you must leave and want to escape the hustle of uptown. The staff were universally helpful, obviously well training and good at their jobs. The Conrad is well managed and thought out. We are already planning our next escape at this great spot near Battery Park, what they call New City.

Room Tip: A short subway ride from mid and up town NYC. It's a place to relax in the city.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your review of the Conrad New York. I will be sure to let Kate, Mark and the rest of our staff know how pleased you were with their service. We are thrilled to know your stay was exceptional and that your family enjoyed their time here as well. I am also happy to hear the postitive feedback about Salvatore's Barber Shop and Salon- I will let the owner know! We look forwrad to welcoming you back to the Conrad New York soon.

-Alexandra Joset, Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lehigh Acres, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I rarely write reviews, but read them religiously. We chose the Conrad because of its location, and because I was able to pay for the three night stay with Delta Skymiles points. Without this method of payment (which was equivalent points to a round trip, first class ticket to Europe), I would not have been able to afford this room. Consequently, I was expecting an amazing room and service.
We (my adult daughter and I) arrived around noon, and our room was not ready – which was expected. We were told that two rooms were in the cleaning process and it would not be long wait. Our cell phone number was taken so they could call us when the room was ready. We decided to leave for a while, and did not return until about 4pm. In that time we were never called (sure glad we did not wait), but our room was ready when we arrived.
The person who brought our luggage to the room, noted that the coffee maker appeared to have a used individual coffee pod in the machine. He did not, however, remove it. Throughout our stay the coffee sugar was never replenished. Luckily, I carry it in my purse.
The room was nice, but I agree with others that the bathroom is average and small. The beds are delightful and wonderful to sleep on. We quickly unpacked and were off again to explore NYC. On return to the room that first night we noted that the room had not been turned down for the evening, even though their hotel directory states this would be done nightly. Not a big deal, but a hint of what was to come on the rest of the stay.
On the third day of our stay, we left the room before 8am and returned at 7pm. Imagine our surprise when we returned to a room that had not been touch by the hotel staff since the previous day. They have a system that you turn on a light outside your room if you want service. That light was still on from our morning departure. So even if they may not have been able to see the room not done without opening the door, they could tell it was not done from the light still being left on. We wanted to get ready for dinner, so calling the front desk got us an offer of towels now and the room to be cleaned in an hour. Apparently, this was not well communicated to the turn-down staff, because after a wait and the delivery of towels, a housekeeper insisted on cleaning it now. In all fairness, she was just really trying to be helpful. We ended up just changing clothes and getting out of her way.
I went down to talk to a manager as it was after 8pm and we were tired, hungry, and not refreshed. He was very apologetic, but did not offer how this could happen in a hotel of this caliber. After several minutes of repeating apologies, he asked if he could offer us breakfast in the morning to compensate us for the inconvenience. I just wanted to go to dinner, so agreed to this. He handed me his card, and offered parting words that he would set it up for a continental breakfast in the dining room in the morning.
When we returned to our room after dinner, we had only one wash cloth
Next morning we arrived at the dining room, and waited several minutes until someone noticed us. As he walked towards us, a party of three adults entered the room and he went to them and seated them first! Another person came over to seat us, and I asked her to confirm that we were indeed getting a comp breakfast. This never did occur, and I finally had to ask at the end of breakfast if we were getting a check. Continental breakfast at this hotel means a choice of one thing from a selection of 6. I chose fruit and pumpkin bread. I received some fruit with a tiny triangle of flat pumpkin bread with no butter. My daughter ordered the prosciutto ham and melon. This was a few sliced of the ham and a few pieces of fruit - no toast, muffins, etc. We also had our choice of coffee/tea or juice - pick one. I have no idea what this cost as the menu had no prices, but I can imagine. We truly left still hungry.
We were leaving on this day, but had a late flight so we stored our luggage at the hotel. When we went to pick it up we asked the street level bellman if we could pick it up there. He assured us we could and he took out ticket to get them. We told him we were going up to the lobby to use the restroom and would be right back. On exiting the restroom you are at the upper bellman’s desk. There was our luggage, which we had to take down to the ground level ourselves. We are not helpless females, but this method of giving us our luggage required tipping two people instead on one.
I will be the first to say that a lot of these things were small annoyances. It is when the small things keep occurring and get bigger that frustrations occur. It certainly did not wow me or even meet my expectations. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ConradNewYork, Manager at Conrad New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing this thorough review. I apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay and I will have one of our staff members contact you privately to discuss the matter in more detail.

atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I rented the Delux Suite (2 dbl beds and pull out sofa) for a girls weekend for 4 girls. Although this is a very nice, clean, modern hotel- it does lack some privacy with the bathroom. The bathroom has one room with toilet and sink and the shower is a very large shower stall that is its own room. Both have frosted doors with a 1/2" opening around the frame that allows for no real privacy. In fact, you can not really change clothes in the shower room because every thing will get wet. There are sliding opaque doors that could close off the bathroom from the sitting room and bedroom, but then no one could pass through to the other rooms while someone is in the bathroom.

I was also issued breakfast vouchers -2 per night. I did not use 6 of them, but on the final morning I asked if I sould exchange the 6 unused for 2 additional that morning and they would not do that. I felt that as a Diamond member the hotel should have made an exception.

The location was nice and never felt unsafe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sonya N
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Traveled to NYC for 5 days for a graduation and found this property that used to be an Embassy Suites. Renovated and upscale, the Conrad is fabulous. The staff smiled, said hello constantly, and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcome. This included desk staff, doormen, cleaning staff, EVERYONE! A very pleasant environment.
The rooms are large by NY standards and the price is not out of line with other properties that we explored before settling here. Beds are comfy, showers are large and hot water was never an issue.
Only thing we wished for...New York food is expensive and at times there are leftovers. We also found a Whole Foods a short walk away that has bunches of snack and meal options. There's a mini-bar in the room, but no fridge space available for storage so we wound up throwing out food that we brought back. So a small fridge and microwave would help with cost control.
Other than that we would go back for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your review about the Conrad New York! I am happy you had a great experience while you were here for a graduation and that the staff was friendly and accommodating. Thank you for your feedback as well about having leftovers, I will pass your suggestions along to the appropriate staff. We hope to have you back again soon!

Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed here for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) attending meetings with banks in the area. Location is very good for business, but if you’re here in vacation I wouldn’t recommend it (go for midtown instead).
The hotel is brand new, it used to be Embassy Suites, also from Hilton, so all the rooms are… suites, with separate sitting/work area with flat screen, sofa, desk, plugs, bar, Nespresso machine.
Then the bathroom is not huge, but very sleek. Again, brand new.
The room is really fine, with very comfortable bed, decent size closet and large flat screen. It is also very quiet, and if you’re too sensitive, a couple sliding doors can make it even more isolated from the central atrium.
The roof-top bas was closed; the gym is average and breakfast as expensive as expected.
Business center is very comfortable and equipped.
Definitely recommend it for business in downtown.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank El_Mijo
Bel Air, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Had a wonderful time at this luxurious, 5-star hotel. The rooms were beautiful and the staff was extremely professional and attentive to our needs. In room dining was very good and the views of the river were terrific. It was a perfect location for a couple looking to get away for the weekend in NYC.

Room Tip: Request a river view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your review, we are pleased to know you had great stay! It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed the in-room dining and the views from your suite. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

New (spring 2012) hotel where the insipid embassy suites used to be - minimalist / modern in design with a lot of details in the lobby and the rooms going into design elements.

My room had a little sitting area at the front with a large flat screen , then a bathroom that really was too small for this category hotel but again very sleek / minimalist.

Comfortable king bed with a 2nd large flatscreen (and a very good entertainment / room control system of you are into these sorts of things). Everything was quite which I was happy with as many rooms give out onto a large central atrium (think '70s Hyatt) which sometimes leads to noise in the rooms.

Gym is below par for this category hotel. Had breakfast once which is as expensive as you'd expect

Overall a nice place but I prefer the Ritz Carlton half a mile away which is still contemporary but not as minimalist, has a better bar, gym and is cheaper.

Room Tip: higher is better
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business