“Clothes, furnishings, etc.”

Housing Works Thrift Shop
Ranked #185 of 853 Shopping in New York City
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I love this thrift store. It is on my way home from work on Broadway between 96th and 97th streets. There are senior and student reductions on Tuesdays, and this store receives new goods every day. The shop looks completely different every week. Book shelves, sofas, desks, and other furnishings that are interesting as well as useful. I've seen a few antiques pass through, as well. There are shelves of dishes and classes, too, and you can put together a dining set for much less than you would buy from the major chain stores. I've gotten a couple antique glasses here for much less than they were worth.

The clothing and accessories are always worth a look, as well. I've found many unworn items--dresses, tops, and scarves Prices ranging from $3 to $15 for well-known designers. Donations are easy to make and take no time at all, and I'm contributing to a good cause. Plus, there is always a full basket of free condoms.

1  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The title says it all.

A small-ish shop with an excellent selection of very good quality clothes at reasonable prices. It may not be the cheapest thrift stores around, but certainly the best value. When we visited, there was even a 50% off deal on clothes. There was a small but good furniture and china section, books, CDs and sundries. The more designer bags are placed online for auction, but even so, there are treasures to be found for anyone on a tight budget.

Like all thrift stores, it can depend on what you unearth, but we were certainly delighted.

2  Thank Pho-Trappers
Reviewed May 4, 2010

My sister and I have been travelling back and forth to New York City for years. We grew up there and pride ourselves on knowing some of the best thrift in New York, but we will no longer be shopping at housingworks like we used to. First, they have not just raised prices, they have tripled, if not more just about every price. They have the current goal to "rival the best consignment shops in NYC" (this is a direct quote from the assistant manager of one of their most popular sites). To me, the difference is that ALL of their items are donated and every dollar is profit. I understand that the thrift shop does good charitable work, but it used to be that it was a great place to shop, it provided better clothing at very reasonable prices, which alllowed college students and those with strict budgets to enjoy a prized designer item or two, now, a few items we saw at the multiple thrift shops were still in stores (of course on the sale rack) at much better deals and brand new. Thrifters, you will be very shocked at the prices. Even the five and ten dollar racks are gone. I overheard a heated discussion between a patron and a staffer and it was over not just the hike in prices but the severity at which it was done. This patron was told that "buy it or leave it, I don't care".

4  Thank 808sister
Reviewed June 3, 2009

The best thrift stores in New York. There are several throughout the city and I've bougt many an amazing bargain from there. They also have online auctions of thrifted goodies. The sales are amazing - so check their website first to see what is going on. For more on housing works and thrifting in NYC see my blog www/fortheloveofthrift.blogspot.com

2  Thank crissieP
A TripAdvisor Member
Glen Ridge, NJ
Reviewed July 14, 2003

Housing Works Thrift Shop is by far one of the better thrift shops in NYC. Clothing and furniture is arranged attractively, and grouped in areas that make sense, not just jumbled together! It doesn't have that "cluttered" feel that some thrift shops have.

They also have great prices, and the proceeds go to a charity to benefit aids-related causes. And then they mark things down in sales, too! Some clothing is up to date, and some "vintage", but everything is in relatively good condition, and there are decent dressing rooms for trying them on.

Some of the items that I've gotten over the past 5 years include: a lavendar silk suit, 2 beautiful brocade-fabric men's smoking jackets, and a beautiful designer silk blouse. I've never bought any furniture, but if I were in the market, I would definitely go there. They often place some of their better items on silent auction, and these tend to be good-looking antiques.

There are 2 locations in NYC: one on W 18th and the other on E 77th.

So great locations, great prices, great stuff, and all for a great cause! A definite find!!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member