“We will return!”

Bed & Breakfast Mont Morris
Ranked #4 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 nights with my 12 years old son. The house is quiet and comfortable, everything is clean and smells good too! Paula is a fantastic guest, every morning at breakfast she has a good and valuable suggestion for everyone, she even bought a cake to celebrate a birthday of one of the guests! I would like to thank her again for being so nice!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had reserved well in advance and arrived late afternoon to the west 120th st address, our room was very small and dark, so we were initially quite disappointed, however, there was a huge amount of useful information from Georgia left in our room along with some cookies from a local bakery!

We also got given free breakfast at the location a few doors away, simple but good and free, so on the 2nd day we asked to change rooms; it wasn't possible for that night but for our last two days we were moved to west 123rd street, closer to 125th st metro and that room was amazing! Huge and more like a suite!

We didn't actually get to meet Georgia in person but all the other staff were friendly, helpful and chatty, giving us tips about places to visit in NYC.

We had a couple of issues with the ac not working which were fixed straight away.

My advice would be to stay here and make sure you explore Harlem, if you head more towards 125th St it feels like the real Harlem, we stumbled across Shakespeare in the park, Marcus Garvey park just about 1 min from our place.

Can't think of anything else to add, use the metro, explore Harlem, talk to locals and you'll have a great time. Also take Georgia's advice about visiting Williamsburg as it is a really cool area with lots of funky shops and bars.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Room 66 in 120west is very small so if you know in advance and are a couple, I would ask for a diffe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrsdutchburger
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After having visited New York more than 8 times, we decided to try staying in Harlem for a change. hit the jackpot with Mont Morris. The rooms are just fantastic, the girls looking after us were just brilliant and Georgia, sweet Georgia gave us so much information to get around and about. We tried everything including her Brooklyn recommendations and loved it all. Location was great for us as it close to the subway and the price is just incredible for NY. So good to come back to the peace and quiet after a day spent in Mid-town. Even catching a Broadway show, coming back was quicker, easier and safe on the subway. A great find and definitely a return for NYC. Many Thanks to Georgia and the girls - Maria etc. who were so sweet to us and David for helping us with the bags up those flights of stairs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Mont Morris is the perfect home from home. A beautiful brown stone building. Located in a lovely safe historical area, with lots of local restaurants, and amazing sites nearby. The nearest subway is 125th and 116th (5 min walk)

Georgia was the host with the biggest heart! Always going out of her way to make everyone feel so welcome, she would sit with everyone and offer advise, and was always more then ready to help out when any problem arose. We were really grateful for everything that she did for us (would it be advise on where to go, on subway routes, calling home, helping out with the key she was always there) I must mention the great staff that work along side her.

The B&B has a unique yet extremely tastefully feel to it. We were located in the second building, and had the small room (which was v small) saying that we didn't spend that much time in there.

I really enjoyed my stay at Mont Morris & would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PurpleGlad
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Mont Morris B&B very much. The location is a little sketchy, but luckily the subway is close by and it's easy to get downtown to enjoy all the touristy stuff (just make sure you take the station at 125th and Lenox!). Our hosts were so sweet and helpful. The breakfast was served in a different building and the breakfast area is very small so you get real close and cozy with the other guests, which might bother some, but we quite enjoyed the small talk and chatter with the others about their experiences in the city and their next travel plans. The rooms are whimsically designed and the b&b feels very homey and friendly. Great value for NYC.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MariaGisladottir
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is located less than 5 walking minutes away from the 116th street station, which is served by the 2 and 3 lines. That's about 15min travel time to Times square. In exchange, you will pay Harlem prices for your room instead of downtown prices... it's your choice really.
The atmosphere is very friendly - Georgia will really do everything she can to make her guests feel at ease and provide them with all the sightseeing tips you need - or leave it to you to go discover New York, if that is what you want.
The rooms come in different sizes, and most of them can suit up to 3 persons. They are spotless clean, nicely furnished and comfortable. In at least one of the rooms you even had a cooking corner with fridge + microwave oven.
Yes, you are in Harlem and not downtown, but if you're worried about safety all I can say is that I felt safe even when coming back late - and I am normally a bit paranoid about safety.
It was a very wise choice which I would recommend to any friend visiting New York.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank TamaTareco
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Sadly, Bed and Breakfast Mont Morris is in a neighbourhood without a lot to offer the casual tourist. After trying a couple of restaurants and cafe's, including Il Cafe Late on Malcolm X Boulevard which was recommended in the hotel literature, I gave up and ate in the east village for the remainder of my stay. Several locals were openly hostile: I was spat at on more than one occasion, I was shouted at by various crazies, and once to my amusement I was gesticulated at by a restaurant goer from the window.

I was relatively happy with my room though. I stayed in the Tiny second floor room (accurately described) and it was modern and very attractively furnished although the small windows meant that it received very little natural light. But good value for Manhattan at $85 a night.

Georgia was charming, and full of useful advice, although I only got to chat to her on my last day as she was holidaying the rest of the time I was there. Breakfast was a haphazard affair, with guests perched awkwardly on benches and previously mentioned, the stairs. The breakfast room was also locked during the day which was disappointing, it would have been nice to have a common area to swap stories with other guests outside of breakfast time.

Bed and Breakfast Mont Morris is an effective base for exploring Central Park and the museum district, it's just a shame about the neighbourhood.

Room Tip: The Tiny rooms are true to size
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo