“Great Hotel, Service and Location”
Review of YOTEL New York

YOTEL New York
Ranked #139 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed there for my Bday in November 2013. We booked the romm back in March 2013 through a third party website.

When we arrived there, they couyldn't find our reservation, for about 30 minutes we stayed at the front desk while they were looking for it. Turns out we were the first customers to arrive with a cancelled booking due to the 3rd party website's being Bankrupt. They actually didn't warn us, it was a prepaid reservation and they never sent the money to the Hotel.

However, the Staff was brilliant as they managed to give us the same rate we booked the room for 9 months prior.

We really appreciated it (and that's not a strong enough word) I wish I could go back again for my Birthday, as the Winter period is beautiful and this Hotel is just amazing.

Tiny ? Yes but so what ? we're in NYC, you'll be lucky to find such a nice hotel.

Room Tip: 23rd floor : Amazing views and quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose N, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hello Anne-Rose R!

Thank you for taking the time to your experience with us! We are so happy to hear our crew members were able to resolve your booking concern and get you checked in as soon as they could. Weather is great now so you should come back :)
We hope to see you soon! If there’s anything we can ever be of assistance with, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at reservations@yotelnewyork.com.

Jose - Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (11,447)

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed for 5 nights for a conference at the Javits Center. Aside from the location's convenience, and the Lavazza machine in the small kitchen on each floor, there is little to recommend. Very high tech looking, but the rooms are tiny, and poorly equipped. The bed has no box spring, just a mattress that was not very comfortable. There was no box of tissues, no radio, no door to the bathroom, no closet, no place to sit except for the little desk chair, and the bed which becomes a couch if you retract it. There is no bar soap, only liquid soap in the shower and for the sink. I asked if there were any bar soap at the desk, and was told I could buy some at CVS across the street. By the way, the room rate, including all the taxes was $300 a night. The continental breakfast was muffins and coffee. If I wanted juice, that was an extra $4, Yogurt and a fruit cup were similarly priced. The orange was $1. There is little staff to help. One checks in oneself at a computer terminal in the lobby, although there are some staff to assist. One day of the five, my room wasn't made up. There is free Wi-Fi and free computer terminals in the lobby for guests although it appeared that non-guests were using them as well. The location is quite far from anything. The nearest subway is 2 long blocks away. If you are interested in attending the theater, it is fairly convenient to the theater district. Everything else is a long walk or commute. I know this is NYC but given that, I think the room price was well above what it was worth.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank William P
Jose N, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Hello William P!

Thank you for sharing your review with us! We are glad to hear location and convenience were to your liking, however, We are sorry that you did not enjoy the bed. Our mattresses are handmade with coconut husk and lambswool; not your typical mattress. We chose them for a number of reasons, organic and high-quality being two. Some guests absolutely love them (, however, others, such as yourself, find them uncomfortable. We are in the process of testing additional options and do hope you’ll be back once these are finalized! Due to our dedication to sustainability our Get Up/ Get Down signature washes are offered in a pump, rather than a bar soap with a wrapper. Hopefully you liked the scent! They’ve been created with specific ingredients for the time of day. “Get Up” is infused with Sage and Eucalyptus.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I'll write the bad first:

The emergency: The 4th day we were there at 6 in the morning the emergency alarm went off. We were not informed what was going on. I tried to call the front desk 3 times with no answer. We were staying on the 24th floor. After jumping out of bed panicked about what to do, I hurried my friends to grab what they could and leave the hotel using the stairs. Once we reached the stairs there was a message that said this is an emergency, please evacuate. Well, we tried but the stairs were at a stand-still. So here I am thinking that we're doomed if the building falls over or that there's a fire in the stairwell, wondering if I should call my family... After a long wait, it was declared a "non-emergency" which was wonderful. However, it makes me question their emergency policy. We only made it to the 17th floor. If anything serious was happening we probably wouldn't have made it out and we wouldn't have known what was happening. It was horrible and unsettling. The second part is that after the non-emergency, the water in the hotel turned off. 2 of us were able to take a shower fine, but the the 3rd got no water at all. It was off for 3 hours. Luckily the front desk extended our check out time which was great, but once the water turned on it was brown and muddy, then milky white. Gross!

Small: I went with 3 adults over 20 and we stayed in the overhead bunk room. I knew it was small, but this room was really tiny. We had way too many bags for the space. The bathroom is only separated from the room by a curtain, so if you're shy about using the bathroom I would suggest going to the main floor restaurant bathroom.

Dirty: After a 13 hour train trip and long walk in the snow to get to Yotel, we got to our room and it was trashed. I mean beer bottles, tampons, pizza boxes, you name it. The good part is that we were immediately redirected to another room on a higher floor that was clean. Each floor has it's own little kitchen. Someone spilled coffee all over the floor (and the room is small) so you could barely get across the floor. The spill was still there the next day.

Room service: Our sheets were not washed or changed. They just made the bed. I know because there was a dirty spot that was still there after room service had been there. Also, my sister-in-law lost an iPhone charging cord that she definitely came here with. You can't always blame room service, but we searched high and low for that thing and it was not there.

The Good:

Location: It was close to everything! Loved it!

Atmosphere: Besides the emergency, the atmosphere of Yotel is great. We loved coming back to the hotel at night and seeing the purple glow.

Restaurant: We ate at the restaurant the first night. Very fancy, but the prices were good! I thought the food was good, but my guests thought everything was spicy. The waiter was nice and spoke in Spanish with them.

Overall, I still have to rate it a 4 because it did not look like a dump, despite everything that happened while we were there. The value was great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank EmilyHHI

Hello EmilyHHI!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us! We are sorry to hear about your disappointment during the January fire alarm. The alarm was trigger due to the extreme freezing weather conditions that caused the frozen pipes. We are glad to hear you still like the overall feeling of the property.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was an experience rather than just a hotel stay. The location is a bit sketchy, west of Times Square, but beyond that, it was absolutely amazing. The rooms are moulded pods with automated beds, the coolest showers and everything beautifully planned. I just loved it -- such a great change from ordinary hotel rooms! The bed was really a futon, so it loses a star for that. Brilliant concierge service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Jose N, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Hello CanadianMezzo!

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! It is always a pleasure to know that our guests are experiencing satisfaction at our hotel.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have stayed at the Yotel for the last 4 times I have been to NY for the NYNow trade show. The beds are very comfortable as are the pillows. Pack light as there really is not a lot of extra space for big suitcases. However, you do have plenty of daylight in the bathroom when you want to put on your makeup. It really is more for a couple than 2 friends sharing a room situation as there is not a lot of privacy nor is there any place else to sit and be comfortable other than the retracting bed.
The galleys are great to store your left overs etc or as in my case lunch to take to the show and to get a cup of coffee in the am.
If you are doing a show at the Javits it is very convenient and quiet place to stay, which for me is huge.
The outdoor areas for breakfast and in the evening for a drink are very nice.
The guys downstairs in the entry are great about everything from getting you a cab to helping you navigate the system.

Room Tip: ask for a corner, nearer the galley.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank pariscarson1995

Hello pariscarson1995!

Thank you for sharing your review with us! We are thrilled to hear this is the fourth time staying at Yotel New York, we appreciate your loyalty and support.
We can’t wait to welcome you for your fifth visit! Please reach out to us prior to your return at reservations@yotelnewyork.com for any assistance.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I am currently living in the United States as part of my university degree back home in the UK.
At the end of my internship I had planned to travel various cities across the states. I was under the impression that I was able to stay in the US until July 7th, hence why I made the following reservation at Yotel from July 2nd to July 7th. However, due to an error between my two visa sponsors who had given me the incorrect date (an issue beyond my control) I was told I had to be out of the country by July 2nd.
I had made the booking on booking.com way back in October and was pleased with the price I had got on the reservation. On booking.com it said it was a non-refundable reservation, at the time that was fine as I didn't expect an issue like this to occur. As soon as I found out about the issue I contacted the hotel directly, I was talking to a woman who simply wasn't interested and told me it had nothing to do with Yotel as I had made the booking through booking.com so I should contact them. Over I go to booking.com and they told me that it is down to the individual hotel not them. Booking.com however said they would be happy to cancel the reservation at no cost and would also not charge the hotel any commission on this reservation due to the issue that has arose. I had received a confirmation email from Yotel directly which states that the cancellation policy on "your stay" is "Cancel by 6pm day prior to arrival to avoid night's stay + tax penalty". After a number of emails between myself, booking.com and Yotel I find myself banging my head against a brick wall. Yotel are insisting that I must pay for the reservation or as a "courtesy" they will allow me to change my dates - which would add another $800 to the total price - how very courteous!
I myself work in a hotel and deal with this issue on a regular basis, I know that it is possible for Hotels to make exceptions when circumstances like this arise and not actually charge the guest a cent. I find it diabolical that having not yet given them any money and 2 months in advance they seem to insist that they are either going to take $900 off me to cancel or charge me $1600 for a new reservation. Having looked on booking.com it seems they don't have an issue in selling the rooms as they are almost sold out.
I was very much looking forward to visiting this hotel to finish my time off in the States, however I now find myself being treated diabolically by a hotel who has no consideration for its upcoming guests and take no issues into consideration.
Diabolical and shocking customer service Yotel, I think you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank JordanP7

Hello JordanP7!

We are very sorry to hear you had to cancel your stay with us due to last minute changes regarding your visa departure date status. All third party bookings have different terms and conditions such as non-refundable bookings. We would be more than happy to discuss with you if you have the time! Please feel free to contact us directly at reservations@yotelnewyork.com. We look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.

Pre Arrival Crew

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The room is not big but it was very comfortable for a couple. Complimentary tea, coffee and muffins were great. excellent location within walking distance from everything away from all the noise in NY. Loved it all.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zelda B

Hi Zelda B!

Thank you for your 5 star recommendation! Location is definitely a big plus for us as we located within minutes from Times Square as well as Porth Authority, from here you are connected with the entire city.