“Never again” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

As a head housekeeper at a well known brand in the U K I always check my room for cleanliness and was disappointed to find that for $250 per night I had hairs from previous guest in the bed, holes and stains in the bedding , there was thick dust under the bed ( this had not been vacuumed for some time) the bathroom sink was stained and scratched and towels were a shade of grey , the walls were scuffed and needed painting, the sliding glass door for the bathroom was pointless ( no privacy ) the bed was uncomfortable and I found it hard to fall asleep but I now know why people say New York is the city that never sleeps ( these people obviously stayed at Yotel ) the best thing about my room was that I didn't spend a lot of time in it and the view from the lovely large windows it wasn't all bad though as the location was fantastic and the staff were friendly and helpful , oh and Yobot in the lobby but as it's a gadget once you've seen it it's not that exciting anymore , I wouldn't stay again nor would I recommend it .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna329
YOTEL_New_York, Manager at YOTEL New York at Times Square West, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hi Donna329!

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

A dirty cabin is completely unacceptable and not the Yotel way. Please accept our sincere apologies. We will be taking up your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and his team and would like to reassure you we take your comments very seriously indeed.

On the rare occasions when our service standards slip our only recourse is to learn from our mistake and redouble our efforts to ensure we do not allow this to happen in the future.

Please feel free to reach out to us directly at reservations@yotelnewyork.com should you decide to stay with us in the future.

Jose - Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,752)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

A hip hotel with a very Young and fresh feeling, both in common areas and restaurants (loud and party feeling) and if I would have visited New York with my friends when I was 20-25years old I would have LOVED it since the party scene would have had compensated for the not so good things ie now while being 30+ and travelling with my husband the stay was ok but not more. We chose to pay extra for the view and it was indeed cool to be close to the sky! However the room was absolutely tiny, the bed (which indeed has a smart feature turning it into a sofa) was not very nice, the bathroom has no door...

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emmchen
Hi Emmchen!

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are so sorry that you were disappointed with our cabins. We try to be very upfront with our cabin design and size through the photos and descriptions on our website, as well as through any conversations with our Crew. We are so sorry to hear that you felt that this was not detailed enough. Our mattresses are handmade with coconut husk and lambswool; not your typical mattress. We chose them for a number of reasons, organic and high-quality being two.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance directly at reservations@yotelnewyork.com

Jose - Assistant General Manager-
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I travel greatly throughout the year. I was just staying in New York and was booked in with a group to stay at the Yotel, for my first time for 5 days.
The room/pod/cabin is very small, it needed a good coat of paint for sure. The room was cold, even though I raised the room thermostat higher-did not make too much difference.
I did not like the shower design with one open entry without being able to close made it impossible not get the floor wet(bad design).
I could not place my suitcase under the bed as they suggest for storage (as it did not fit) so I tried to place it on top of the miniscule 2 tiny drawer area. After 20 minutes of working on the computer, ALL the room lights went off, I was really in the dark floundering around!!!
I phoned down to Mission Control and was told that someone would be up to look. Half and hour later I phoned again and then was told that I was probably blocking the room sensor with my suitcase, so I lowered it back on to the floor and voila, my lights turned back on! (Why did they leave me in the dark for half an hour?)
Day 2 and 3 I again asked for a box of tissues to be brought to my room - it never appeared!
On day 4 I left for work and returned around 6 pm(it was last Wednesday-4thDec) my room was still not attended to, even though I had distinctly left out the door-hanger requesting a room make-up. I decided to quickly change and go out for dinner whilst they came and readied the room.
Overall I spent on just the room-charge over $1300 and felt it was totally unjustified and overcharged for the tiny room and poor service. I will not stay there again for sure, and let my work colleagues, friends, acquaintances know that.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, not this one!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank aushaw
Hello Aushaw!

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are so sorry that you were disappointed with our cabin size and design. We try to be very upfront about this through our website via the photos, a floor layout, and square footage, as well as through any conversations with our Crew.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another try. Perhaps on your next visit, you might like the First Cabin better with 150 square feet of extra space. Thank you again, Aushaw, for your feedback, which I will be sure to share. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly if we can ever be of future assistance at reservations@yotelnewyork.com
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Second time here and found that it's not aging well...things are starting to fall apart (like the shower faucet that was loose and the scuffs and dings on the walls). Yes, it's tiny. But come on, you're in NYC. This is where you sleep, the rest of your time should be spent out in the city. The rooms are high tech and the staff is friendly. I found the galley (where you get coffee & beverages) to be either sweltering hot or frigid cold.

Room Tip: Great views from the upper floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello KrisHutchinson!

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are sorry that your cabin appeared to be poorly maintained in any way. We do try and ensure that our cabins are maintained to a high standard at all times and we are sorry if this was not the case when you stayed.

Hopefully we’ll get to see you again soon! If there is anything we can do, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at reservations@yotelnewyork.com.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Loved this place. The design of the hotel is very modern and loved the baggage robot in the lobby area. The rooms were clean and I felt like I was in a life sized verson of my iphone. Rooms were smaller than the average small NYC rooms but I think the decor took away from that. I'd stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jen91610
Hi Jen91610,

Thank you so much for your recent review! We loved your comparison with the I-phone :) Sounds like you stayed in our Premium Cabin or Premium View Cabin. For a really amazing view, you might want to check-out our Executive View Cabin the next time you are in town; it's got a floor-to-ceiling dual aspect view of Manhattan!
We hope to see soon! If there’s anything we can ever be of assistance with, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at reservations@yotelnewyork.com.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Nice clean room with high tech features. Easy to find and very central to everything.
Easy to get a free coffee, access to a fridg and ice.
Nice ambiance in the loundge/bar area. Good drinks and food.
No pools though... but not much time to spend there anyways!
I would add to the rooms a restaurant list of places to go.

Loved the experience. This was my first trip tp NY! And not my last!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Sonia T!

So glad you choose Yotel for your first trip to NYC!!! even better, you loved the experience :) We work hard in order to provide a clean, fun but yet flexible space in a phenomenal location.
Bridgetown, Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had a great stay at Yotel, it's a cool place that's well designed, and it's located right in the theatre district... minutes from times square. Even though it's hip, we had two young children with us and they loved it. We had a room on the 23rd floor and the views were great.

Room Tip: Room 2338 looks up 42nd street over to times square
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mark m
Hello MarkM!

Thank you so much for your great review! We are so glad you and your family enjoyed our property and amazing views we have from our cabins! Looks like you stayed in one of our Premium Queens with Double bunk beds, ideal for a family of 4 !