“Disappointing”

YOTEL New York
Ranked #135 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at Yotel at the end of October 2013 while I attended Photo Plus at the Javits Convention center.
The two major disappointments were the customer service and the room itself.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
When I arrived I tried to check in via the computer in the ground floor lobby but it said there were no rooms for me. My reservation had been made through the convention center because my boss was a speaker and I requested a second room to be booked with his. I stood in front of a guy at the podium who was on the phone. He never once looked at me or acknowledged me. The bell hop was the one who was supper helpful. He apologized for the guy at the podium and then helped me check in on the computer which worked.
I returned from a very late business dinner around midnight one night. I stopped at Mission Control to ask about getting additional tea bags for the shared kitchen thing on each floor. The guy said that even though they were all gone the night before it would have been restocked by now but I could call down to him if there weren't any. So I went to the galley on my floor and found only one tea bag. When I tried to get hot water it asked for a password (it didn't do this before, it was clearly malfunctioning). I used the phone by the elevators to call him on my way back to my room. He said they would send someone up.
This is a case where you should offer to bring hot water to the guests room to make up for the previous issues. But they did not do this.
When I checked out I tried to save my little company some money and use my AAA card. After a bit of runaround it was found that I had already received a discount through the Convention Center. I would hate to know what full price is if discounted is $300/nt! The staff should be trained so I did not need to wait while they tried to figure out my request which did not pan out.

ROOM
The room, as expected was extremely small. The bed was not terribly comfortable because it turned into a large couch during the day. FOr being what I thought was a fairly new hotel the walls and furniture where quite scratched and a bit dirty.
THey are trying to make the space cute and functional but I just felt like I was overcharged for a dirty old room on a cruise ship.

The best part about this hotel was the location. It was only about 4 blocks to the convention center. A long walk but not too bad and closer than anything else.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JayCa
YOTEL_New_York, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear JayCa,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. I can see that we did not meet your expectations and there is no excuse. I would like very much to contact you directly to speak further and receive more details.
Please contact me at elvis@yotelnewyork.com. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Elvis- Assistant Director MC

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here when we went over to NYC to get married in Central Park. The room was a vision of compact, contemporary design - freshly presented and stylish with its clean white lines and surprising amount of intelligent storage space. The bed could be electrically retracted so it turned into a sofa for during the day too - that was fun. My only gripe was that the iPod dock built in to the entertainment station didn't work, but it didn't ruin my stay.

The staff were pleasant and friendly, there were Lincoln Navigators outside which were a stylish alternative to using a NYC cab. The location was great - the most satisfying thing about the hotel was that given the proliferation of hotels in NYC, and the potential for choosing a bad one, this one provided everything we were looking for and made for an excellent stay. Loved it and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
YOTEL_New_York, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Hi mikeffect,

We’re so happy that you enjoyed your stay and flattered you chose YOTEL as your hotel while getting married! We are a refreshing change aren’t we? Lol. Thanks so much for your review! Sounds like you stayed in our Premium Cabin
We are so sorry that your iPod docking station was not working
If you didn’t manage to report your issue to Mission Control, feel free to send us an e-mail to yotelreservations@newyork.com with the cabin your stayed at & we will double check functionality.
We hope to see soon!
Jennifer- Marketing

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Awesome hotel after an excruciating process of choosing somewhere to stay near Times Square for 10 days with a friend, the long term deal Yotel offered ended up winning us over. It's incredibly well located only a few blocks from Times Square and close to all subway lines. Rooms are ultra modern and clean. Many cool innovations for such a smaller room that made it considerably more comfortable then it could have been. Bed was firm, though very comfortable considering it was a sofa bed. Reasonable amount of space for two people, a little cramped but not as bad as it could be considering the location and nearby competing hotels.

Amenities were all working well and quite new. Bathroom facilities were great, though could see how no proper separation (only a curtain) could bother some guests that perhaps wern't comfortable with each other or travelling with children/teens. Galley (Coffee/Tea/Water) facilities on each floor were AWESOME, and not matched by any other hotel during my trip, this also saved a lot of money as the commercial grade capsule coffee machine produced pretty decent coffee! The hotel gym while small was well equipped with a variety of cardio machines, smith machine and free weights. Lobby area was huge and comfortable, and the free muffins in the morning were a great touch if you felt like a quick snack in the morning before heading out.

Customer service was generally good from check-in to check-out, split bill was worked out with ease despite this been a last minute change. Only downside was the room had one of its light non functioning (purple-light, non essential to the use of the room) and though this was brought to the attention of staff a couple times it was not fixed. This really wasn't a big deal however.

Very highly recommended. Awesome concept that I would love to see rolled out to other cities around the world.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Squeeowl
YOTEL_New_York, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Hi Squeeowl!

We love to hear when our guests have awesome experiences such as yours, so thank you so much for telling us about your stay. There are so many things to consider when traveling anywhere so we’re pleased that you found a value here at YOTEL as well as all the comforts of home. They say some of the best things come in small packages and our cabins definitely prove to be flexible in space, but luxurious in convenience and design. We’re sorry that we weren’t able get that purple light fixed during your stay. Our purple theme is just one of the fun features you’ll find throughout the hotel so please don’t hesitate to reach out to me personally at Jennifer@yotelnewyork.com with your cabin details to ensure its quickly fixed and if I can be of any assistance during your next stay with us. We can’t wait to have you back!
Jennifer- Cabin Crew Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I recently spent the weekend in New York for pleasure and stayed at the Yotel for the first time.
I thought the concept was quite novel, the hotel was conveniently located near the theater district and good restaurants. I am 66 and eventhough the hotel caters to a younger clientel I did not feel oout of place. The rooms are small but comfortable and thoughtfully designed. The upper floors are generally quiet there were a few party goers that could be heard as they walked down the hall but nothing too disturbing. A fun experience, well priced and I would not hesitate to stay there agaain.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
YOTEL_New_York, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are most certainly in a prime location to Broadway and Restaurant Row, which offers a wide variety of cuisines for even the most picky of eaters. Our cabins are designed with attention to detail and thank you for observing our smart use of space. Our apologies for the noise you experienced and we are pleased that it did not interfere with a restful night’s sleep after exploring our great city. Can’t wait to see you again soon!
Simone-Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great hotel! Central, clean, friendly staff and very stylish. Minus point is that you in the rooms has no proper separation of shower and toilet. Since only one pane of glass and a sliding glass door.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello SMonty45,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us at YOTEL New York. We have enjoyed your comment and we are excited about the positives you have mentioned! Our YOTEL brand is new and a great concept to NYC! We also enjoyed your construction critique of the cabin and will certainly use this for future YOTEL hotels! We look forward to your future return!
Micheal - Director of Cabin Crew

Reviewed November 17, 2013

What a fantastic stay at the Yotel. Thank you Linda,Joanna.Earl, Ovidio ,and everyone else who we came in contact with who went out of their way to make our stay just the best !! The location is perfect in that it is centrally located near Broadway! The continental breakfast hits the spot. The galley on every door serves Latte etc....what a nice touch. Our room was so comfortable. We stay here whenever we come up from Florida
to visit our grandchildren and it is our home away from home.
Thanks again
C and Z

Room Tip: All the rooms have been great!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Cathy D,

Thank you for your awesome review. We appreciate the time you took to not only mention our amazing crew member buy name and we are proud of them as well for the impression they have made during your stay. Our sincerest gratitude for your loyalty to our property and we greatly enjoy hosting travelers like yourself who recognize what a special hotel we really are. Looking forward to seeing you again soon….we’re sure your grandchildren can’t wait either!

Simone-Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Staff was great. Rooms are modern and had everything you want for a business stay. Iron and board in room which was a nice surprise. Only negative was the awkwardness of taking 2 elevators, but that allowed you to see their featured smiling statue more often...

Room Tip: On foot, avoid 38th-41st for all the overpasses. Best to walk via 42nd.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
YOTEL_New_York, Manager at YOTEL New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hi Garmildesign,

It's great to hear that Yotel, being as modern, funky and unique, it's a hotel that it's suitable not just for leisure travel, but also for our business clientele. Yotel features a nice restaurant and terrace area located on the FOUR. All guest and visitors that come to visit Yotel, are immediately forced to visit this area, when utilizing our main entrance elevators. Since YOTEL also welcomes our local residence to visit us for a nice dinner at the restaurant or a drink at the bar, we designed separate elevators for our outside guest travelers to access their room. I personally love the design of having two separate area to access the elevators. The main entrance elevators allows all our guest and visitors to visit our restaurant or reception desk, while our second elevators located on FOUR, only provide access to the registered guest. It's one of the excellent way Yotel provides our hotel guest, safety and security. I hope you got the opportunity to take a picture with our smiley statue "Shaggie" which I can say it's very loved and famous to our guest. Thank you for your feedback, and hope you'll visit us again on your next business/leisure trip to NYC.

Arelis Eralte, Assistant Director of Housekeeping.