“WORST Stay Ever”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rapid City
“WORST Stay Ever”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have never had such a bad experience in a hotel before. I will never return to the Yotel or and Yo! brand companies ever again.
We originally made our reservation a couple months before we visited. We were quoted a really low rate and we asked if that was correct. The lady said yes and sent us a confirmation with that rate. When we checked in the manager told us there was no way she could honor that rate because it was pretty low. We even had the confirmation from the hotel and showed her. Eventually, she told us she would look in the matter and we could store our bags at the hotel and go out to the city if we wanted. It is a good thing we decided to go out in the city because when we got back 7 hours later, we ended up waiting an extra hour to check in because the problem wasn't resolved. FINALLY, 8 hours later, we were given the rate we were quoted and were able to check in. We finally get to the room and get ready because we had tickets to a show that night. We were at the very end of the hallway and we can hear this loud, high pitched noise coming from the elevator. We tell the desk and they said oh well they elevators are broken. VERY COMFORTING!
The next morning we wake up and are relaxing in bed and A BUG FALLS FROM THE CEILING ON US. We were kind of disgusted but understand that bugs get in.
That day we dropped off dry cleaning. They told us that since it was after 9 am it wouldn't be back the next day but the day after. No big deal. Two days later, we still hadn't seen it. We asked the desk and they said they would call our room in 10 minutes to tell us what they could out. A hour later, I decide to call back because we were on our way to a wedding and really needed the jacket. They said that they had found the jacket and it would be up in 5 minutes....an hour later, we call down again getting worried because we needed to leave soon. They told us it would be up shortly. About 5 minutes later a gentleman knocks on the door with the dry cleaning and tells us the elevators are broken and that's why it took so long to get us our dry cleaning. What?! Were the stairs broken too? Apparently the employees are just incredibly lazy.
That same day, when we go to our room around 3, our room hadn't been cleaned. We called down to the desk to make sure they were going to clean the room. We were assured they were going to and that the housekeepers get done at 10pm. We got back from the wedding around 1:30 and our room wasn't clean! Now we know why there are bugs in the rooms!
Another night we were there, the fire alarm went off about 12:30 am and about every 15 minutes after! Not only was the alarm going off all night but every time the alarm went off and even times the alarm didn't go off, a gentleman would come over the loud speaker and say it was a false alarm! A couple times he left the loud speaker on and had full conversations with other employees! Finally around 3 or 3:30 they called the fire department. I understand that fire alarms are for the most part uncontrollable. What I don't understand is why the fire department wasn't called sooner and why the loud speaker was used every time the alarm went off AND at times the alarm didn't go off.
The one and only redeeming quality was the bar and sunday brunch. The employees in the restaurant and bar were the best employees and most accommodating. When we go back to the New York we will never stay at the Yotel again! We might go back for the brunch.

Room Tip: Just find another hotel....
6 Thank Lindsey H
YOTEL_New_York, Manager at YOTEL New York at Times Square West, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Lindsey H, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’re so sorry for the confusion regarding your rate! Although we were able to confirm that you were indeed quoted a higher rate over the telephone, we still honored your rate due to a system glitch. Although we love technology (shown via our neat kiosk check-in, robotic luggage system, retractable bed, and the list goes on!), once in a while inevitably there will be a hiccup. We’re so sorry this caused you such an inconvenience! Warm, friendly, and fun, are the adjectives that we usually hear to describe our team! Rest assured that your comments have been addressed with the Crew. Our guest safety is #1 priority here. Therefore, Life Safety Systems have been put into place to protect you, and all of our guests in an emergency situation. However, regardless, we are very sorry that you were disturbed. On the other hand, we’re so pleased to read that you enjoyed the Sunday brunch, the bar, and the customer service provided in these areas! We hope to see you again here in the Big Apple. Please feel free to reach out to us at reservations@yotelnewyork.com if we can be of further service, or address any additional comments. Thank you again Lindsey H.
-Jose, Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,841)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Eindhout, Belgium
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This review might come a little late as we stayed in the Yotel last year at the end of June, but I still have such lovely memories from our time in New York that I decided to finally put a review up. We booked the Yotel via Expedia for a very cheap price and it exceeded all our expectations. This is a very modern and new hotel, but at the same time it felt very cosy. I remember having a nice view from our room on the 16th floor (?) The room was not that big, but it had everything we needed and it looked very trendy. The outdoor terrace, where we had breakfast, had amazing views over the city and was the perfect place for us to relax in the morning.

The breakfast could have been a bit better, since we had muffins, which I must say were delicious, and milk/coffee every day. Instead, we had breakfast once at Applebee's on Times Square and once at Le Pain Quotidien near Central Park. I suppose you can pay for an extensive breakfast, but this was not included in Expedia's package deal.

The location of the hotel is just great. I don't think you can find a better hotel for this rate at such a good location. Times Square and the nearest metro station are just a 10-minute walk away. There's a CVS pharmacy and a Subway restaurant right across the street and it is still far enough removed from the busiest parts of Manhattan to get a decent night's sleep.

The hotel's staff were very friendly and eager to help. Checking in and out at the self service kiosks was a piece of cake, which definitely saved us the time and frustration of endlessly queueing at a reception desk. The Yobot is also a cool piece of technology to store your luggage, which I had never seen before at any other hotel. The system did malfunction a bit when it had to return my girlfriend's suitcase, but this was quickly resolved by the staff.

For us this hotel was just excellent and if we go back to New York, I definitely hope to stay in the Yotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at Yotel for One week Jun 17th-22nd for business. It was a great experience for the most part. The rooms yet small (It's New York) were very clean and met all of my needs. Being able to open my window was an added plus. The muffins in the morning are phenomenal, also the food from the restaurant is great as well. I had the opportunity to enjoy brunch before I left and it was great food for the money you pay. The elevators take some time to get to your level, however they are working on the problem. This is where my trip turns a little south for me. I was going to be working in New York for two weeks so I utilized Yotels laundry service, it is contracted out of course. However I dropped my clothes off at 9 AM for same day service. I also was having a suit dry cleaned. I was told the total would be $117.00 for all the laundry + dry cleaning. When I went to check out of the hotel the next day it said the laundry was $241.71 I went and got assistance from the assistant director of Mission Control/Ground control. He said he would go look into it. He came back and said I only owe $117.59 that there was a mistake. So he adjusted the amount to be paid. However 3 days later after I checked out he emailed me and said there was a mistake and that I actually do owe $241.71 he sent me the invoice and said he found another invoice. After emailing him all day explaining that is not what I was told I was going to pay when I dropped it off, and that is not the amount I settled on when I checked out. He was rude and not willing to help understand where I was coming from. It is very unprofessional and horrible customer service to send out an email three days later saying that I owe more money that what we agreed upon on checkout. He was not wiling to help come to any solution and said that they "cannot justify" any charge off for the laundry since I utilized the service. I emailed the hotel later saying that I would like to speak with someone above the Assistant director, still a week later I have not received a response. Needless to say they definitely lost my future business. They need to work on their customer service. So if you plan to utilize the laundry service at Yotel, make sure you are told the amount when you drop it off and that it reflects the same amount upon checkout. If not you will get an email three days later saying they charged your credit card for a different and higher amount.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
YOTEL_New_York, Guest Relations Manager at YOTEL New York at Times Square West, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hi Brad H, thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your cabin, floor-to-ceiling window, cabin cleanliness, brunch, and last but absolutely not least, the muffins. My weak spot as well. Lol. Thank you so much for your patience regarding our elevator service too. Now, when your trip turns south, it turns south for us as well. We do try to be very upfront about our Laundry pricing, which is listed on the laundry bags for guest convenience. We’re so sorry however, for any confusion that took place thereafter. I would be absolutely pleased to follow up with you directly if you have the time. Please email me your contact information to gina@yotelnewyork.com. We sincerely hope that we’ll have the opportunity to turn this around and get you back to visit us once more. After all…. chocolate chocolate chip muffins…. how can you resist. Thank you again Brad H.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Upon arrival, the outside design is only dwarfed by stepping inside - everything is white with purple detail. It has the cabin, futuristic, Star Trek like feel and look - really terrific. The lobby has touchscreens to check in and out, however when I entered my details, it did not work, so I went to the check in lobby on the fourth floor. The woman checking me in was somewhat rude, but efficient and they had me down for one night instead of the two as shown on my printed confirmation. However, went well and was directed to the elevators for the 19th floor after being told of all the places for comp breakfast coffee and muffins, comp awesome computer wifi screens, bar, floor galley with all night cappuccino, etc.
The room is tiny as are all rooms in NY, but the cleanest room in NY I've ever seen. The room again is white with white with purple carpet and purple hue against the wall from the back of the flat screen tv. Some of the details were great from the shower head (albeit alot of holes were not putting out water), to the plenty of places to plug in like your ipod, ipad and iphone to the tv, wall etc. The pull down ironing board, the trench sink, the organic soaps - one for Get Up and one for Get Down - the button for the bed to come down from sofa to bed - all great details. The wifi was terrific for me and worked well.
Now - the ENTIRE RAISON D'ETRE for a hotel is to provide a comfortable nights sleep - all else is peripheral. I read an awful lot of history and my specialty is the middle ages. People slept on straw pallets on a dirt floor. I can only imagine, but I believe that those straw pallets would be far more comfortable than the bed at Yotel. People complain in reviews about the beds, but I thought. how bad can they be? Well - they are worse than anything you can imagine. I woke up after 1/2 an hour and was unable to even move. I had to take all the pillows and stick them under me so that I could sleep on the pillows. I couldn't move or else I would roll off the pillows. i don't mean that the bed was just hard - heck, many people love firm mattresses. I mean the bed was lumpy, hard and so uncomfortable that the thought would go through you that this had to be done on purpose.
A few other minor details - there is no tissue at the sink, so you have to use the bathroom tissue - which would be fine unless you've just gotten out of the shower. The shower is open so that the area just outside and inside the sliding glass door is flooded. So, if you have to use the commode or get some bathroom tissue, you better not have long skirts or bare feet as you are walking back into a flood.
There is a little guide that tells you about the room and how to move the bed, etc. I had a 'premium' cabin with the slide down bed and towel warmer. They show a button for a towel warmer, however there was no towel warmer.
I truly want to return to this hotel, but if I can't get a good nights sleep, I just can'. BTW - the second night, I left my key card in the room and the girl at the desk was so amazingly nice and friendly, I couldn't believe the difference from the first girl to the second. So they are not all rude.

Room Tip: Gallery is on each floor and open all day and night for cappuccino, etc.
Green Features: Love the environmental touches and practices. However, again - the beds should perhaps be environmentally friendly foam from bamboo and that other tree (can't remember)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hi GringoJacks, thanks for your review! We’re thrilled you liked our décor. And the cleanest room in NY you’ve ever seen. Wow?! Not that is a compliment! We’re so sorry that your check-in wasn’t seamless however. From cab to cabin in under 5 minutes is the way we like to roll. If you have the time, please email me at gina@yotelnewyork.com as I’d like to do some investigation to see what occurred and who assisted you. As for the bed, you are right, it is harder than some. We’ve made some improvements, but are still working hard to find the perfect solution. Once again, if you shoot me that email, I’ll be happy to keep you updated on this. Thanks again GringoJacks!
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Rooms are small but clean. Very clever design which makes good use of the room space. Hotel has a smart futuristic feel about it. Did not enjoy the breakfast from the hotel restaurant. Service was not great either. This hotel is a little expensive and will give u decent(not great) value for money.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Rooms exactly as we expected. Clean, secure, comfortable and small. It's about 10mins to 15 mins walk to time square. Tasty, reasonably priced, small restaurants nearby, we ate in two, ajisai Japanese and a Mexican place.

Unfortunately we couldn't get to have a drink on the roof top bar because on all of the three nights we stayed there were private functions. Also weirdly the toilets in the public areas were messy and needed a clean.

Food tasty and reasonable in restaurant.

Room Tip: Go high for an interesting view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Va112345, thank you for your review! We’re so happy to hear our cabins were exactly as expected! We try so hard to ensure that we’re straightforward about our concept, cabin and amenities. And with such a cool concept, who wouldn’t be. Lol. As you mentioned so perfectly, our cabins are clean, secure, comfortable and yes, small too, but they are so efficient that most don’t even notice. Japanese and Mexican, yum! It definitely sounds like you got a taste of Hell’s Kitchen. There are so many amazing restaurants in this area, with more springing up every day. We’re so sorry, however, that you weren’t able to experience the Terrace bar. Thanks so much for noting the public restrooms; we’ll absolutely be sure to discuss with the team there. Thanks again Va112345! We hope to see you back soon. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at reservations@yotelnewyork.com if we can ever assist in the future!
Racine, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had a great stay at the Yotel. Loved the room with a view. It was a great place to crash at the end of a day of sight seeing in NYC. Great staff. Lame breakfast, but there is a cvs and a grocery store on the same block. We loved being in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood. Lots of restaurants, close to the water, and out of the craziness of time square. Very close to bus and subway stop as well. Plus close to several for broadway theaters.

Room Tip: We had a corner room and loved it. Not sure how big the other rooms are.