“Best start in New York”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Best start in New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed in Yotel in New York recently for 12 days.
From even before I checked in the staff have been fantastic.

I booked a few months out on a 15% off deal. The week leading up to by trip I checked on the Yotel site again for pricing and found it to be slightly cheaper than my original booking, after a quick email to the reservations staff they amended by booking happily.

On checking at 9am on a Saturday I found the Lobby Staff to be friendly, welcoming and efficient. I was checked in within 3 minutes of my arrival and luckily my room was available! I was able to have a shower and change after 24 hours of flying! So I was able to start exploring in a fresh state.

Throughout my stay I made use of the onsite restaurant Dohyo and bar The Terrace. Both had fantastic service, Dohyo had some amazing food at very reasonable prices (I recommend you try the taco's on Taco Tuesday) and brilliant bar staff (happy hour every Mon-Fri 4-7 :) ) I also partook in the Saturday and Sunday Brunch which was a great way to meet fellow travellers and even locals :)

The room, while small, was really well laid out and had everything I wanted. I'm not a big user of in room bars/snacks, so the lack of these was perfect in my books, each floor has a galley with tea/coffee and soda's available as well as a fridge for your own food.

The beds themselves are futon style mattresses which may be a bit hard for some people, but I found very comfortable. The room I stayed in (25th Floor) was very quiet and when the window was closed I struggled to hear any street noise.

I would 100% recommend Yotel NYC to anyone traveling to the Big Apple

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,772)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Staying at Yotel is like staying on some weird hip futuristic space ship hotel. It is very funky. It is relatively European at its essence. This does mean smaller rooms and beds. The location isn't too bad, just a couple blocks from the subway and Times Square. The robot who takes your luggage is pretty fun to watch. The terraces and lounges are great places to hang out as well. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HollywoodDuo
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Perfect location, 5 minutes from Time Square and subway, Excellent view from cabin (19th floor). Extremely modern design. There was a galley each floor with free coffee, a refrigarator, ice and water and a microwave oven. The restaurant has great food at very reasonable price. Althought the room was little it was comfortable even for a 7-night stay. The changes the linens only twice but the towels every day.

Room Tip: Simple cabin rooms is OK. You don't need to pay for a premium view cabin
1 Thank DamianosChronakis
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

If you are seeking friendly staff, superb views of the city, and excellent facilities with a slightly futuristic quality then look no further.
One had a sense that the staff spent their time looking for opportunities to be helpful, and they really excelled at it. Dining was a delight, either over breakfast coffee and muffins, or Japanese fusion at dinner.
When we are next in New York we will not be thinking of any other hotel. Try them, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try the corner cabins, views are sublime.
1 Thank DcnAndy
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

A very good hotel which we really can recommend good location friendly staff. We will come here again! It is close to everything you can walk to most things Broodway, Meat Market, Central Park, etc. Good restaurants nearby

Room Tip: All room is perfect!
3 Thank Ewa W
Alameda, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Yotel hotel is a beautiful, modern, FUN place to stay. We had moments that we truly enjoyed being there but we also had moments of disappointment. Let's start with the negatives...Our cabin was not cleaned or straightened up on the 4th day, we stayed there for 7 nights. After that 4th day, I noticed a couple of small puddles of dirt on the floor, it could have been spilled hot chocolate and I noticed that it was never cleaned up for the rest of our stay...which then made me notice the bathroom floor getting dirtier with each progressive day so I guess doing a quick mopping of the floor is not done even when there is visible dirt...hmmm.... We also had some technical problems with the room. The faucet of the bathroom sink only poured out water that was warm to hot water, no cold water. We got used to brushing our teeth with warm water. The biggest problem was the thermostat. We stayed for 7 nights and for at least for 5 nights, we called someone up to the room to reset it. The thermostat kept resetting itself to 80 degrees! Too warm! The last tech that came up did say it might be a real problem. He did fix it temporarily, he even came by a couple of hours later to check if it was running okay but the next day when we returned to our room and the thermostat would not go down to 70 degrees. We couldn't even get it down to 72 degrees which the instructions on the panel stated was the default temperature for the thermostat. It was a real inconvenience having to call someone almost every night. Sometimes the thermostat would even go higher if we tried to lower the temperature. Really frustrating. We would end up opening the window, which added alot of noise to the room or kept open our front door but we had to close it, I didn't want to bother the other guests. The hallway was a more pleasant temperature than our room. :( What bothered me more was no one at the hotel offered to move us. It did seem busy so maybe there were no open rooms??
What was GREAT about the hotel? First, the check in. We arrived after midnight but the staff person welcomed us, helped us check in quickly and took our luggage up the room. He told us about the hotel, answered all of our questions, he was GREAT! The hotel is also beautiful in a modern, quirky sense. If you love Apply products, you'll love the way this hotel looks. So modern and clean yet there's elements of fun, like the strange but wonderful sculpture that greets you on the 4th floor or the huge, bright green couches in the lobby or the colorful, beaded curtains in the lobby or the other strange but wonderful sculpture that greets you at the Dohyo restaurant. Something we really loved about this hotel was the galley, I LOVE that place. What a great concept for a hotel. The galley is a shared room, located on each floor. The galley has an espresso machine, refrigerator, ice machine, sink, microwave and Coca Cola vending machine. We went there at least twice a day. The only frustrating thing, it didn't seem very well maintained. One day-no cream in the machine, another day-no coffee capsules, a different day-no cups but when everything was there, it was wonderful and the espresso was very good. The ice was easy to crunch. Sometimes the galley counter was abit dirty but I fault the other hotel guests. Can't blame the hotel for having slobs as their guests right? Spilled coffee! Cups full of coffee left in the dispenser and the counter! The hotel should probably clean up and replenish that area at least twice a day because it really does get well used. The hallway carpet was looking a bit soiled but despite this and our bathroom floor, I still felt the hotel seemed quite clean overall. Bed pillows were so soft and wonderful. I could see how some people didn't like the bed but I never had any problem with it. It is like a real futon, no cushing but great support. The dysfunctional thermostat in our room is what kept me up at nights. The towel rack was heated!!! The shower always had hot water available for soothing 'monsoon showers'. There were definitely some GREAT things about this hotel that you don't get at other hotels. If the negatives go away, the Yotel could be a FIRST CLASS, amazing, one of the best NYC hotel because there are moments of brilliance in the design of this hotel. I'm rooting for you, Yotel!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors, we were on the 20th and you could still hear some noise but much less tha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AlamedaIslandGirl
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

My son and I loved staying at the yotel. The check in was easy, no waiting in queues. Room was clean and no noise from hallway or street noise. Great veiws of the city. Breakfast on the terrace was enjoyable,muffins were sensational. 10 min walk to time square. Ground control staff very friendly helpful and when we returned for 2nd visit they remembered us and welcomed us back which made us feel at home. Would stay there again if ever back in new York.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family