“Great hotel!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here Sept 1-6th. I, like many others, chose it as it was brand new, has a great location and got 50% off deal. Our first experience upon arriving was being greeted by the guys at the door (always friendly and helpful). Dan took us up to our room and gave us the "low down". He was very helpful and super nice. The room was small (we got a Premium Cabin with Queen Bed) but we expected it and were not disappointed. The room was bright (even without the "mood lighting" people seem to love or hate). We found the bed quite comfortable but could see it being an issue if you were overweight. We had a great view of the Hudson. Flat screen tv, plug for your iPod or iPad, decent size shower - good times. The toilet was exposed but they had a curtain you could use for privacy. That plus running the tap while the tv was on made or an easy experience. Truthfully I thought more of the condo right beside us being able to look into the room (but if that's all they had going on for them then have at 'er). The little fold out map provided in your room came in super handy. We used it everywhere we went. Breakfast wasn't an issue as we ate elsewhere. They had free coffee machines on each floor which made my girlfriend happy! We ate at Dohyo - the Asian/Mexican fusion restaurant in the hotel. The food was good and as we were advised came in smaller portions (tapas). The Pot Bellied Pork tacos were very good but comically tiny! The location is awesome - walk up 42nd street to Times Square. The Port Authority is on 42nd where we took a bus out to Woodbury Common (Premium Outlet Mall). There is a subway station on 42nd as well - do yourself a favour and buy a Metro Pass if you are staying more than a few days. It's super worth it! My only complaint was Q-Tip was supposed to be spinning in their lounge the Friday we got in but he cancelled at last minute. I'd definitely go back. The experience and staff were great!

Room Tip: If noise is an issue you may want to keep the window closed. Even up on the 25th floor New York traf...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,804)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I had a good stay here. Two nights. Small room but knew what to expect from the reviews so didn't mind. Very clean, compact, well designed. 2 blocks to subway. Requested higher room, view of Hudson, away from elevator...got all requests. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Complimentary muffin, coffee. Fine to start the day. Had read several negative comments in previous reviews and apparently the management had corrected those items so I was impressed. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Me and my husband recently renewed our vowes and decided to visit the city, one of the cities we visited for our honeymoon. We arived in to the city late due to a delay in our flight and we were extremely tired and just hoped that check ing in wouldnt be a hectic process, from reading that its a self check in kiosk. Thankfully when we got there we were greeted by two young men named, Etienne, and kamrul, who right away assisted us with our luggage and brought us upstairs to "four" where we were further assisted by a young lady, jessenia, who was very helpfull in checking us in. when we explored the hotel the next day we were amazed, beautiful detail in every aspect, the lounge area was different from its funky furniture to its bar just lovely. The restaurants eating area converts in to a stage, not to mention the tapas style dishes were deliciouse. The outside terrice was by far the main attraction, a fair amount of space, two bars and a wonderful view of times square. Unfortunately we only stood two nights because we came for a cruise, but we will definately be returning to the city soon and yotel will be our first choice.

• Stayed October 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stayed at Yotel in October 2011 for 8 nights. The hotel was crisp, clean, modern and funky. It is well designed, with everything you need perfectly fitting in. It's not a 5-star with all excessive trimmings you don't really need but then you're not paying 5-star NYC rates so don't whinge. The bed is a retracting type to allow more room during the day (and a comfy seat to watch TV if you are staying in for a bit) but it's still perfectly comfortable and once it's fully stretched out, you wouldn't know it isn't a normal bed. The complimentary continental breakfast consists of muffins and tea/coffee but there are always at least 4 different flavours of muffin so you can still get a bit of variety. Nearby, there are lots of good alternatives for breakfast if you don't feel like muffins every day. And you can always buy alternatives from the a la carte breakfast menu if you want to eat in at the hotel. The location is excellent - I felt very safe walking around any time of day or night and the staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. This is not a good place for the stodgy, boring or stuck-up, but if you appreciate good design and something a little out of the ordinary, then you will love Yotel. Oh, and the food and cocktails at Dohyo are excellent - make sure you eat in at least once.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Ledyard,CT
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I got a good price as a special, so I figured what the heck! Great location, very short walk to center of Times Square. Few small food places just a block or 2 away. If your venturing for Theater district, great stay. We went to breakfast at a little place called "theater diner" good food. average price range.
Staff was great. Minor trouble with my reservation through a 3rd party-won't do it again!! But the staff was friendly and funny. Helpful on check in/out. Helpful with tips on food in the immediate area.
The room was as expected, NY not known for large rooms unless your paying $$$$$$. For one night with my husband-perfect. There really is a shower curtain seperating the bath from the room. With this design it actually make the room feel longer. Being 1 night away with my husband it was good. I would reconsider this as option if it was a couple of friends unless your REAL CLOSE.
Bring your own soap, shampoo etc. There is a all purpose weird smelling soap in shower and at sink, not a fan. There is a hairdryer.
The bed. yeah 1 or 2 nights fine. But it was more than just firm. I like the space saving idea of it folding up and then laying flat for sleep but that doesnt make up for the hardness. I perfer marshmallow beds, but I was fine the 1 night. My husband was a bit stiff in the am. I understand that they will bring you a mattress topper, but since again 1 night we managed.
All in all I enjoyed my stay. The uniforms of the staff, the atmosphere not a draw but not a turn off either. It was clean, mostly comfortable. Good price.
Got the use the robot arm in the lobby to store my bags before check in. I'm a gadget girl and that was a blast!! It was broken down the next morning when we checked out. But the staff simply gave us a ticket and stored the bags.
I would stay again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I had no idea when I booked this hotel that the beds were futons. A very thin mattress on a rock hard surface made for an extremely unpleasant night's stay. My wife and I could barely sleep and we both woke up with a sore back. I find this bedding choice to be unacceptable for any hotel, budget or high end. I had booked this hotel for 5 nights but after one night I had to go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank John201033796
Dubai
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Rule number one: never stay at a hotel that does not serve complimentary breakfast. In Yotel, they have a variety of muffins and coffee that you can choose from which are absolutely free! However, who would eat a muffin for breakfast 7 days a week? not me. And on the same floor, there is a lovely restaurant that serves great food and makes sure to empty your wallet like a tuna can. I stayed at Yotel on a business trip last week and to be honest, it did not live up to my expectations. Pictures can deceive you, on their website the photos of the rooms are devine and intriguing, but not in reality. Rule number two: never book one room if you are about to share it with 2 other people. A room for 3 is as tiny as a mouse hole, that was the worst part of my trip, not to mention the so-called 'bathroom' that has no door and just a shower curtain. Why do they do this? you get into so many awkward situations when comes to using the bathroom especially with people you don't know!
I was willing to get my own room at some point instead of having to share it with the 3 stooges but then I thought, 350$ a night? naa! I'll suck it up and make it through the week. On a bright side, the location is great, 5 minute walk to Times Square (40 seconds each block). Overall, if you are planning on staying at Yotel for a few nights (and by few I mean 3) Yotel is the right choice, however, staying there for a week or two is not the choice I'd go for.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business