“I love the terrace & lounge !”

YOTEL New York at Times Square West
Ranked #133 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“I love the terrace & lounge !”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I was so excited when I heard Yotel was coming to NYC I booked asap! As soon as I arrived I was greeted by these cool door men in Cool uniforms ! They were so kind in helpful! I checked in at this screen called the kiosk ? (I think) its awesome , then I saw this wonderful amazing robot that took the luggages , I couldn't believe it! I then went up to the 4th floor where everything was the wonderful terrace , lounges , bars, & restaurant!! I then went up to my cabin where I had issues with my key so I went to mission control where this tall girl named amera (she looks like a model) helped me and remade my key , she also informed me about the hotel breakfast & etc, she was very nice , too nice to be from NYC , I then went up to my room & I thought it was pretty cool I had a wonderful view , love the bed & shower but I hate there's no tooth brush,lotion or irons in the room but I called down for one,

I stayed for 3days & 2nights I love the terrace the most!!! The entire 4th fl!!! I will be back NYC

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank Anna2184

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,827)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Slovenia
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Just got home to Slovenia from NY where I spent 6 nights in Yotel. At first, my boyfriend and I were actually quite fascinated. Yotel is new and clean, the cabins (=rooms) are cleverly arranged, so despite its smallness, the room offers a nice stay. Even with compulsory shopping, there is still enough room to store all your things. I also loved the cabin lightning. The bathroom is nice, but I believe, that it does not provide enough privacy (if you are in a fresh relationship this might be a problem). However, the longer we stayed at Yotel, the more frustrated we got. First - the bed mattress is rock hard. After a long day walking around NY (and in stores) all I wanted was to relax in a comfortable bed. Instead I ended up rolling around all night trying to find the least painful position. Terrible! The second thing that really bothered me was the "twister" air condition, where everything that you could control was the teperature rate. So when the beast turned on (it is of course located directly above the head side of the bed), it really helped your tooth granuloma to expand. The housekeeping was random - 2 times our room stayed as we left it (and we didn't leave late). The breakfast was muffins only (OK, I understand that "free" breakfast in NY hotels is a rare finding), but after 2-3 days you can't really eat them anymore. And for last, one very nice thing - the galley, which is located in every store and offers a free coffee (very good Italian coffee), tea, ice and water. Really cool.
So, what to say at the end. There really were some major issues. But if at least something to the mattress would be done, I could really live with the rest of my complaints and visit Yotel again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lea80
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and thought it was definitely fun! It is an experience in of itself. The lingo used in this hotel is entertaining for sure..."cabins" for rooms, "mission control" for reception.... The rooms are white, definitely modern and maximized for space availability so the rooms are small. The thin curtain divide between the bathroom and room is a little disconcerning, however, turning up the tv volume helps;). The amenities in this hotel make for an enjoyable stay. Every floor has a 24 hour station where you can have access to coffee and refreshments, there is gym access, wi fi included and breakfast included. You can see the hotel from a mile away with its distinctive purple glow;) and there is a giant robot arm adjacent to the front lobby where the hotel stores and retrieves luggage for you. It is different for sure. It is close to Times Square and public transit making access to the area and the rest of the city very convenient.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank 0ni0n1
Port Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Appearance: Cyber feel, cool, nice refreshing color scheme.
Location: 2 Blocks away from Time Square.
Cleanliness: Everything brand new. Hotel just open in June.

Rooms: Cabin style, space saving design. Air conditioner was a bit loud. I have to turn off the fan. The mattress is med to firm but it was comfortable. Shampoo/Conditioner/Body wash was a 3 in 1 product. I don't like 3 in 1 but I like the scent of the wash. The shower was parted by a glass door but it doesn't bother me. The room also has great city view.

Staff: Awesome and extremely helpful staff. Concierge, front desk, bells and house keeping. Fabulous... The Robot Arm was cool and easy to use.

Freebies:
Phone calls- I received one hour free local and long distance in North America (not sure if it was a promo at that time period but it's worth to ask them).
Breakfast- From 7am to 10am. Coffee, tea and muffins on the 4th floor.
Galley: There is coffee room on all floor with all you can drink hot choc, Espresso, hot water and tea etc. Very convenient.
WiFi: Complimentary :)

Terrace bar was my favorite relaxing area for a Mojito and a icy cold beer after my long day. Must try their Halibut Slider. Yummy!!

I will definitely go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: I found the music from the patio lounge was quite loud especially at night. Make sure to book your r...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank casper888
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Yotel this month. We picked it b/c it was one of the cheapest options in Manhattan and it looked pretty cool. We were not disappointed! The room was amazing--small, but we never felt squished or cramped. The features (t.v., shower, bed, etc.) were fantastic.

The location was excellent. In the 4 days that we stayed in Manhattan, we never once took a cab. We walked to Times Square, Central Park, a few shows, and everywhere else. The subway was cheap and we saved a ton on transportation costs b/c of the Yotel's location.

However, the best part of the hotel was the staff. I've never stayed at a hotel with such friendly, outgoing people. I had more conversation with staff people than ever before--I remember Jose, the always-smiling guy who helped with our luggage. He went out of his way to say hi to us (and it seemed all the staff did the same thing). They offered great tips on the neighborhood and were simply amazing.

If my wife and I ever go back to New York, we will definitely stay at the Yotel again. Don't miss it--for $150/night, it was well worth it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KimSunPrairie_WI
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Went up to 80 degrees in our room. Waited till we were both so sick to call down and they fixed it. New hotel, they decided to polyurethane the floor in main lobby, eating dancing area on a Saturday night?? The fumes were unbelievable!!! They offered me 37 dollars back to compensate???? Should have comped me the room. Sleepless in manhattan

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank Percyb01
Irvington, New York
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I stayed one night by myself and then one night with my wife and baby son during my trip to New York. I took advantage of the hotel's introductory pre-sale, which offered deeply discounted rooms to those booking (and paying in advance) before the hotel opened.

So I stayed at the hotel within the first month or so of its opening. My experience was very positive.

I liked the decor. The hotel has a space ship theme: The rooms are called cabins, the front desk (which is on the fourth floor; there are self-check-in kiosks in the lobby) is called Mission Control, and the housecleaning staff is called the crew, just to name a few of the the theme names. The decoration is modern/hip, with lots of white and neon lights. And the rooms are tech-oriented, with flat screen TVs, a wire set-up to allow you to run your iPod through the TV, beds that extend from sitting up (like a hospital bed) to flat via the touch of a button, etc. There was a safe in the room, but it wasn't big enough to house a laptop.

The staff was on the young side, but everyone was very friendly and helpful. A manager helped me arrange for my wife to be able to get a key when she arrived with my son, and when I called for extra towels, they arrived quickly.

On the same floor as Mission Control there is a small bar and an outside patio bar. I didn't really make use of either, but they seemed very nice. The hotel offered free continental breakfast, which consisted of a large selection of mini muffins, coffee and tea.

One cool feature is the Yobot, the automated baggage checking system. Rather than give your luggage to a worker, you can use the glass-enclosed robot to store your stuff. It only works for small bags, though. I have a piece of luggage that can fit in the overhead of larger planes, but it was just a bit too big for the Yobot. Luckily, the guys in the lobby who deal with the luggage are nice and helpful.

The location is pretty good, on 10th Avenue between 41st and 42nd. It's two avenue blocks to the ACE trains and three to the 1,2,3,7,N,R and shuttle trains. I'm not a fan of the mobs of Time Square, so it's nice to be a bit removed from the madness. 10th Ave has "normal" neighborhood-type stores (there is a CVS across from the hotel), which makes getting food and other things outside of the hotel very easy.

There were only two elements of the hotel that could be thought of as negative:

1) For a brand new hotel, I was a little surprised at some of the wear and tear already present, mainly on the bathroom floor, the shower (there was a small leak from the stall to the outside of the shower), etc. If I didn't know the hotel was new, I never would have given these tiny imperfections a second thought. But it does make me wonder how the hotel will age.

2) The rooms are very, very small. There is no closet, only a bar with three hangers. The bathroom is at the end of the room, with no real door separating it from the rest of the room (you can pull a curtain for privacy). There is only half of a shower door. The night I stayed by myself, I didn't mind the size. The comfort and amenities of the room far outweighed the lack of space. But the night my wife and son were there, it was super tight, too tight to deal with for more than a night. So I would say that while I recommend the hotel highly for individuals (and even couples), it's not a great fit for families.

If the price were right and I was traveling alone, I would definitely stay at the Yotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family