“Great seafood without getting dressed up”
Review of The Lobster Place

The Lobster Place
Ranked #46 of 14,208 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Lobster Place is an open seafood market, filled with fresh fish, oysters, a sushi bar, and of course, lobster. Freshly steamed, you choose your size (1-1/2 to 3-1/2 lbs) and before you know it, you're handed a platter of deliciousness. The shells were strategically cracked, making it easy to pull the meat out. To round off our meal, I purchased food from other counters (including lobster bisque soup). Check for hours...I think they close at 9 and stop serving before that. Afterwards, we took a nice stroll along the High Line.

1  Thank Siliobear
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I used to frequent this place every month. Then came the renovation which kept me away from enjoying the juiciest lobsters in town for months.
When it finally reopened I had mixed feelings when I first saw it. I missed the market place feel of the pre-update but i do enjoy the increase of count. space for enjoying the seafood.
No longer can you choose your live lobster to be weight and steamed before your eyes. They now come precooked with fixed price for small,medium or large. What they do now is to re-steamed the cooked lobster that you choose. I find the lobster overcooked from the second steaming. The flavour is gone and its no longer succulent. The meat is chewy and lack the texture you would expect from a freshly cooked shellfish.
Also, if you intend to order some sushi and enjoy your lobsters or oysters at the same time, forget about it. This place has put in a rigid rule that u can't sit at the sushi counter and have your sushi if u have bought lobsters or oyster from the other counters. I find this an absolute let down. Also if you are not seated at the sushi counter,you are NOT ALLOWED to purchase the Japanese beer only available at the sushi counter!
In all, this place is not what it used to be. Its not one of the top places for me to visit anymore. The rigid dining rules turns me off and the overcooked lobsters don't wet my palate.

5  Thank NERDIER
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

If you love fish, seafood and especially lobsters this is the place to be.
You can enjoy a lobster or a lobster roll, other seafood, sushi and fresh fish for preparing at home.
We loved it

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great food for a lunch,the lobster rolls are yummy.the best New England clam chowder.
Worth a visit ,with the freshest food.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

If you are in the chelsea area visit the chealsea market and in particutar the lobster place. It is not a restaurant per se but a fish market where you chose your fish anf they cook it for you for a small fee. I got two lobsters a dozen oysters (different varieties) one salmon salad and a ceasars salad all for usd93.00.
The food could not be any fresher. That for me is value for money

1  Thank Francis T