“A Good Experience”

and up
Guided Bicycle Tour of Brooklyn Bridge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Central Park Bike Ride (117 West 58th Street, NY) is a Bike Rent NYC business and part of the NYC’s favorite and fastest-growing bike rental business. Bike Rent NYC is committed to serving New York City residents and visitors through daily bike rentals, guided bike tours of Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge, and daily, monthly and annual “hop-on, hop-off” biking programs. Bike Rent NYC is also the largest bike rental business in New York City, now serving approximately 400,000 visitors a year, with nearly 3000 Giant and Trek bikes, and four (4) storefronts open year-round. Only Bike Rentals available from this location. For Tours see Central Park Bike Tours located at 203 West 58th St, NY, NY or Brooklyn Bridge Bike Rental located at 145 Nassau St, NY. NY.
Madison, wi
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A Good Experience”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I can't believe some of the reviews I've read. Our experience was wonderful. No problem whatsoever. We rented bikes for the full day. We were given sturdy Giant hybrid bikes that were fast and tough enough for NY streets. They supplied us with a map and then we did CPark and then the bike trail along the Hudson from 72nd st down to Battery Park, then over the Brooklyn Bridge, up the east side to the UN building and then cross town in heavy traffic back to the shop.

By the end of this we were completely bonked but loved the experience. The people in the shop were friendly and helpful. I give this place a thumbs up.

Visited April 2013
Sayat B, Manager at Central Park Bike Rental, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
I'm glad you had such a good experience! I hope you come back to see us again! I can guarantee you another great experience :)

Dallas, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good bikes--hectic customer service”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had purchased a Groupon coupon to get a discounted rate on bikes from this company. We tried to go on their website and reserve the bikes for a Sunday afternoon in July. The website did not have a place to enter a coupon number, so we attempted to call them. After several frustrating calls to the shop (they are VERY difficult to understand on the phone, and are not helpful on the phone), we decided to take our chances and show up. They told us on the phone that we did not need to reserve bikes, that they would have plenty.

The location is great--one block from Central Park. As you near their shop, you are besieged with sales people trying to rent bikes to you. We had our coupon, so we said no about 20 times going down the street. When you arrive, immediately get in line in the shop for Rentals (there are two lines--Rentals and Returns). Be patient. The line moves fairly quickly (there were about 10 people in front of us and it took us 20 minutes to get to the cashier). There is a lot of confusion in the shop as the sales people are bringing in customers, some people are returning their bicycles, and others are waiting in line to rent bikes.

It does not appear that reservations help you, except I think there is a discount for reserving online. They did honor our Groupon coupon and the prepaid price for the bikes.

Once you have paid, you go outside and are promptly given bikes. Our bikes were in good condition, and operated great. We had them for two hours and leisurely made two laps around the Park.

The experience of renting from this shop is a little hectic, but once we were on our bikes we were happy. Just go in with the right attitude and you too will enjoy riding around Central Park!

Visited July 2012
Sayat B, Manager at Central Park Bike Rental, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank You so much for your review! I'm sorry that the reservation process was so stressful for you! I'd like to inform you that we are now under new management and we want to invite you back for another visit! Our staff is young and friendly and you will defiantly have a good time!
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Good time, but learn the rules of the road first”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My friends and I purchased vouchers for a bike rental from Travel Zoo prior to our trip. We found the staff at Sayat to be very friendly and helpful. It was a rainy day and they offered to extend our four hour rental to five hours - no extra charge. The bikes were in good condition. The staff made sure the locks worked before we left and we got baskets to hold our things as well as helmets. Be prepared to leave an ID. Made me nervous but I had no trouble getting it back. Plenty of Central Park maps were available.
My friend and I had a great time riding in the park - one of the best things we did on our trip. Things to be aware of before you decide to rent a bike and which have nothing to do with Sayat are
1) You have to get to the park from the bike rental place, which means dealing with street traffic (scary). You're not supposed to ride on the sidewalks.
2) There is no recreational biking allowed on the pedestrian paths within the park (disappointing). You need to get off your bike and lock it or walk it in order to see the attractions within the park.
3) The bike path around the outside of the park is "one-way". When we were ready to finish for the day, we found that we had looped around past where we needed to be to get out. Other people on the path were not happy that we went back the "wrong way".
4) Within the park there is a pedestrian lane, a bike lane, and 2 automobile lanes. From 10AM to 3PM the park is closed to automobiles. One "local" was irate that we biked in the bike lane during this time period when we were "supposed" to be using the automobile lanes. Who knew?
Overall, though, this was really fun and a great way to experience the park!

Visited July 2012
Thank You so much for your review!

I am so glad you had a good experience in the store and I hope you come back to see us again!
Sydney
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Never Rent From this Bicycle Rental”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Hired bikes for 5 adults for two hours at $20 each. My bike broke half way round the park. The chain had completely snapped off and had to walk the bike back. Tried to ring to shop but no one answered. Upon returning the bike we were told there would be no refunds (store policy). They would give me two bikes for a complimentary hour however our ride was ruined as we could not ride as a family and now what can I do with the two bikes with a family of five. It's not worth hiring bikes you can see more by just walking. Never rent from this shop!

Visited January 2012
7 Thank BeukersL
Dear BeukersL ,

I am so sorry about your bad experience here! That is no longer the way we treat our patrons. We are, as of this year, under new management. Our new staff is very friendly and excited to work, and assist you in having a great experience! I hope, if you're ever back in the city that you give us a second chance!
Toronto, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Poor service, go elsewhere”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I wanted to bike around Central Park and the pathway that lines the perimeter of lower Manhattan (East River to the Brooklyn Bridge). I bought a group discount voucher online that cost $20 for a full-day bike rental. That's half the $40 regular price. So far so good.

So I went to Sayat just south of the park, but had to wait 10 minutes because the clerk had never heard of this voucher. He asked me to wait. Okay, fair enough. The boss shows and approves my rental. I get my bike. The guy outside was kind of brusque, but gave me a bike. I had to ask for a helmet. I never got a biking map that the voucher promised.

The bike itself was fine: brakes, pedals, gears, plus a front basket. So, points for that. I biked around all afternoon. I bike a lot in cities. I can't walk for long due to fallen arches, so I compensate with two wheels.

The map would've been nice, guys.

Also, returning the bike was lousy experience. The young women at the counter didn't speak English well. Didn't know what to say when I asked her the time. Someone else just pointed at the clock on the wall. Gee, thanks.

Upshot: The price was good, the bike was decent, but dealing with the staff was lousy. Hot dog and pretzel vendors have more passion and friendliness than these guys. Don't forget to demand your helmet and map.

And go elsewhere. There's enough competition out there.

Visited August 2011
5 Thank Allan T
Hey Allan027,

I am so sorry to hear you had a poor experience here! I want to inform you that we are under new management! Its reviews like yours that have helped us to refine our business and change the policies that weren't working. We also have a new friendly staff that are excited to work and help out the customers that come into the store. We're pretty funny too, if we do say so ourselves. If you're ever back in the city I hope you come and check us out!