“New Fav in Times Square”
Review of Mr. Robata

Mr. Robata
Ranked #4,625 of 14,139 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 52nd & 53rd St.
Transit: #1, #9 , B , D , E Trains available.
Description: Right in the heart of Broadway, New York's entertainment district, Mr. Robata offers the finest contemporary Japanese cuisine in the city. Our expert chefs personify New York boldness, mixing daring inspiration with a fine dining atmosphere. Our dynamic menu will delight you with a variety of the highest grade sushi, robata, and chef's specials. Join us and share in an ageless tradition of indulgence. Robata: A Rustic Japanese grilling technique originating from the country farmhouses of Japan; our chefs attentively grill over charcoal to maintain precise temperatures, constantly tending the grill to achieve perfection-Robata embodies what authentic Japanese food is all about. Achieving perfection! Like New York nightlife, Mr. Robata mixes fine ingredients with expert technique. Our chef gracefully integrates the theory of Japanese Kaiseki with his French restaurant experience, imbuing each dish with the subtlety of Japan and the bold sauces of storied French cuisine.
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I brought my wife and son to Mr. Robata on Saturday night pre-theater. It's my new favorite restaurant in the Theater District / Times Square area. You don't even have to like Japanese food to love this place. They have something for everyone. The Robata style cooking adds a lot of flavor to the meats and veggies. They have a duck breast with foie gras appetizer that is to die for. My 9 year old son ordered a second helping! And our server was outstanding - attentive, knowledgeable about the menu and very friendly.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Superb Japanese restaurant smack in Times Square area, I used the Tripadvisor proximity iphone app to find some good Japanese as we ducked away from a conference for lunch with some business colleagues. Ordered the seabass as a main which was amazing and various sushi dishes and miso as the starters. All equally amazing. And the mochi ice cream dessert was amazing too. The service was great, definitely my midtown go to place. Sapporo used to be my favourite, this is my new #1! And half the price of Nobu!

Reviewed February 29, 2012

This review is solely on the service at Mr. Robata but take one glance at the menu and you will see that this place is a pricey tourist trap. In fact, the sign out front which advertises 'Happy Hour' is still there on Saturdays and Sundays even though this deal is not valid on weekends. I'm not sure how many people were fooled into coming in only to be too polite to ask the management to fix their bill. This very thing happened to us, but we were no fools. We immediately, and very politely let our server know of this situation and were met with not only aloofness from the Manager but rudeness from the server (I have honestly never seen so much attitude from a server. EVER. She seemed to blame us for the fact that the sign which the restaurant put out itself was WRONG). It all went downhill as soon as we sat down and realized that we had landed in a true-blue tourist trap ($28 for a five-piece sushi roll??). We realized our mistake and tried to finish our drinks and snack so that we could continue onto another restaurant in the West Village. Our server (even though the restaurant was nearly empty at 5:30 pm on a Sunday) gave us the impression that we were wasting her time. I wish I could've stood up to her at the end of the meal and told her that rolling her eyes at our order, slamming the bill on the table, snatching away the credit card, and laughing at the tip that she did not deserve (I was adamant that it be ZERO but my boyfriend was too nice to leave without tipping) was by far the worst treatment and service we have had ANYWHERE in the world and in the city. We must have dined at over 20 restaurants in NYC.
If you're going to pay this much for sushi, I suggest you save your money and come eat at Tojo's in Vancouver. It's world-reknowned. You will have Grade-A sushi with REAL Japanese service (polite, attentive, authentic).

1  Thank amy_ami
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I am not a big sushi fan, but my wife is.....
On valentine we had our dinner at Mr Robata....

The best sushi experience ever....
Yes, the price was more then average..... but that was more thn compensated by the quality...

Reviewed February 18, 2012

We went here for our last meal in NYC before heading home, but wished it was our first, as would have eaten here every night. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food beautiful and delicious . One of our party not a lover of sushi but raved about the grilled salmon( best she ever tasted apparently) and the desserts divine. we had set menu which I thought was very good value considering the quality of food, RECOMMEND (and just round the corner from Wicked)