“Book signing.”

Chocolat Restaurant Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Chocolat Restaurant Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,799 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Transit: Trains A, B, C, D to 125th St. Nicholas Ave Trains 2, 3 Buses: #10, #3
Harlem, New York
“Book signing.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I attended a book signing here in the fall. I really can't comment on the food as we had a limit selection for the lunch and it did not represent the full selection. I had a small salad and there was a chicken & pasta dish served that I did not taste.

The staff seemed to be nice and the atmosphere was cool so I may stop by again. It was good location to branch out for visitors to see more of Harlem and was close to my home.

Los Angeles, California
“Upscale Newer Restaurant in Harlem”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We found this restaurant close to hotel Aloft, and made reservation for dinner. The restaurant has a big bar that spans most of the space and has an upscale nicely dressed crowd of people. The restaurant does cater to the neighborhood which has a higher population of African Americans but there was still a lot of diversity of its patrons. There menu has several great choices. We had crab cake and fried calamari appetizers. For the main course I had Shrimp and cheesy grits, delicious. My son had the snapper, niece had salad with grilled chicken. Wife had grits too. For desert we has molten lava chocolate cake. All presentation and service was excellent. Drinks seemed typically priced. They did include an 18% service charge on bill, but I think that is because many foreigners may not tip. A great evening!

1 Thank GregSCPA
Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful food, atmosphere, and service”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

When Chocolat was recommended by the staff at my hotel, I hesitated because the restaurant has received some uneven reviews both here and on Yelp, but the very helpful and friendly hotel staff told me two things 1) service issues are an issue on the weekend when the restaurant is really busy, and 2) the restaurant is relatively new; only two years old, the place is perhaps still working out some of the kinks.

I am so glad I decided to try this restaurant!

The food at Chocolat was excellent: the calamari salad, which the restaurant considers a signature dish, is exceptional; the service was attentive and welcoming (thank you, Karim!); and the atmosphere was warm, fresh, and modern.

I will happily return to Chocolat in the future!

• Visited December 2012
Rockville, MD
“eclectic menu with good food and service, but very noisy”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I "stumbled" on this place while looking for another restaurant in Harlem. It was a cold night and the blackboard outside listed some interesting items, so we decided to try it. We were warmly welcomed and seated right away (around 7:30-8 pm Friday), but it was nearly full and got even busier later. The bar area and the restaurant area are next to each other, and it seems to be a popular hangout for locals. One of the other reviewers mentioned "reverse discrimination" regarding the poor service they got vs. the good service locals got, but we did not experience this at all. (We are a white couple in our 60s, and most people in the bar and restaurant were black and 20s-40s.) There were some delays in service due to there not being enough wait staff for the crowd, but we actually got our food more quickly than the (apparently) local couple seated next to us. In any case, the hostess (possibly the owner or manager) and the waiter were very friendly and seemed to care about our satisfaction.
The menu is eclectic and the food ranged from very good to delicious, in large portions. It's not cheap, but not out of line for a good NYC restaurant. I loved the sesame calamari salad with miso ginger dressing. I was tempted to try the shrimp and grits main dish but decided it would be too rich because it was made with shrimp and lobster cream sauce and came with creamy cheddar cheese grits. Instead I ordered a side of bacon cheddar cheese grits (much healthier, ha-ha), and it was surprisingly light, creamy, and tasty. My husband had the beef short ribs with cognac reduction sauce, mashed potatoes, and sauteed spinach--he said it was good. Despite being quite full already, we had to try one of their tempting desserts, and we split the chocolate molten lava cake--very enjoyable.
The restaurant is a fairly short walk from the Aloft Harlem, where we were staying, and if we stay there again we will definitely return to Chocolat for brunch, lunch, and/or dinner. The only drawback is the extremely loud noise level, making it hard to have conversation or even to hear the waiter. This is due in part to the design of the place and in part to the loud music coming from the sound system. (Not sure how you would characterize the music--one song that I recognized was by Alicia Keys, and it did not play rap or anything offensive while we were there, but it was the kind of music you might hear in a dance club.) We might want to try it for brunch or lunch, in the hope that it would be quieter.

1 Thank freedshop
Porto, Portugal
“Nice dinner”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We found this restaurant near the Hotel. It was our last meal in NY before returning home. As in are in NY we decide to eat hamburgers, and those were real tasty, with very good french fries and salad. Chocolates deserts were caloric as it should be, but really good. Service was according with the restaurant level. Nice music.

1 Thank JOSPIR89