“great prix fixe lunch find”
Review of Tulsi

Tulsi
Ranked #1,769 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 2nd & 3rd Avenues
Transit: 4,5,6,7 Trains to Grand Central. M101, M102, M103 Buses to 44th St.; M15 to 46th St.; M15 Select to 42nd St. or 50th St.
Description: Tulsi features distinctive regional Indian cuisine created by Chef Hemant Mathur, critically acclaimed for his clean, distinct flavors and a master of tandoor cooking - from savory street food and breads to tantalizing vegetable specialties and fragrant curries, to signature tandoor-grilled meats and seafood. Designed for comfort, relaxation and the enjoyment of food, drinks and conversation, the 55-seat dining room and 15-seat bar/lounge reflects modern India with a nod to cultural traditions and motifs. Guests may also enjoy a seven-course Chef's Tasting Menu (also a Chef's Vegetarian Tasting Menu) and bar snacks, as well as a thoughtful list of spice-friendly wines, handcrafted cocktails and beers. "Tulsi" (pronounced TOOL-see) means divine basil.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a great Indian find in midtown... great for a business lunch too as it's set up with partitions between tables and you can talk privately. Highly suggest it for the non-traditional twist on some of the dishes.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was very excited to find out how Michelin rated Indian food tasted having had lived in Jackson Heights for five years. I was disappointed to say the least. I unfortunately found a hair in my malai kofta and could not continue eating. The meal, and consequently my night, was ruined as a result. I vomited the rest of the kofta several hours later and my stomach has been rumbling since I left the restaurant. I am very accustomed to eating Indian food and I have never thrown up from eating Indian food until I came to Tulsi. I will not be returning.

1  Thank RosendoPili
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had dinner here for the second time last night. Every course was fantastic. Chef Mathur is able to prepare Indian food that tastes great, keep the individual flavors of the dishes separate and not overload patrons on the greasy breads and carb laden rices. If you are looking for indian food in which the 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of oil is sitting atop your dish and then spreading all over your plate as each item merges with another, this is not the place to go. One may wonder with The few bad reviews that also recommend other competing restaurants if those reviews were let's say, planted. The waiters and servers were polite and very helpful. If there was one thing they could improve, I would say the place is a little too dark inside.

1  Thank sanjay t
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I used the near me feature on TA to find somewhere for dinner for 4 friends. From the word go the staff were inviting and helpful. We were given menus to browse before we decided we were definitely staying for dinner and then seated immediately. We skipped starters and went straight for the mains, 2 of our party had the house curry (chicken), which came with rice and a riata, I had the wild boar chops which I have to recommend (marinated beautifully) and a generous portion with a mango chutney and semolina grain. My friend ordered the lamb curry which is to die for and we shared - so it's a toss up between both dishes for me. Both excellent choices, if you like spicy go for the lamb. The only criticism of the food would be my friend felt her chicken was a little fatty.

We had the chocolate samosas for dessert - again lovely. The waiter brought us a complemtary dessert for the table, I think it was a pistachio ice cream of sorts - lovely.

The atmosphere was very nice, tables are separated by gauzy blinds allowing privacy. The staff were very attentive and pleasant.

One complaint we had was they charged us $12 for water without confirming if we wanted tap or bottled. The food was so good however we didn't mention it. Just specify.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My son chose this restaurant for a special celebration meal, having been there before and wanting to share the experience with us. Though I have never really liked Indian food, I agreed to try it since he was so impressed with it. I have never tasted Indian food this good. My husband has had a lot of Indian food and commented that this is the best he has ever had. The best dish at the table we all agreed was the lamb chops, unbelievably tender, mildly but well seasoned, delicious. Close to favorite was the halibut, just perfect, served wrapped in a leaf and exactly right. The lamb curry, my husband's entree was spicey, but with complex flavors that were quite intriquing and flavorful. My chicken with pistachio sauce was good, but the chicken was a little too overdone, a little dry. Thankfully the sauce was delicious and I compensated by soaking a lot of it up with each bite of chicken.
We shared apppetizers before our entrees. The naan and dahl was lovely, the samosa (three flavors) crispy and yummy, the lentil dumpling excellent, my favorite.
I would skip the cocktails. They sound intriguing but, in my opinion, not worth the price. If you can't resist, try the summer somethingorother. citrusy and refreshing. Next time, we will just have a nice wine. ($38 - $100+). We all would like to go back and have the tasting menu ($65). Ala Carte entrees range from $22- 36, cocktails and glasses of wine $12-15, appetizers $7-12, so count on a soup to nuts meal averageing near $100 per person.
Adding a lot to this gourmand experience is the serene ambience of the restaurant's space, quiet, soft colors throughout. Tables on the side of the room have privacy screens between them, providing a peaceful space. The service in incomparable, very attentive and very nice people.