“delicious food, great fun, great atmosphere”
Review of The Darby - CLOSED

The Darby
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: A, C, E, L to 14th Street and 8th Ave. Or 1, 2, 3 to 6th Ave.
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Darby gets mixed reviews so I was a little worried. I went with a party of 5 on a Friday night for a friend's birthday. We were promptly seated and had an excellent waitress. She checked on us often and was quite attentive. The music was great, and the food was delicious (except for the Doberge cake). I would definitely recommend for a special occasion. Worth the $25 cover charge. Band was really good.

1  Thank lonestartravels

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Live music very fun atmosphere, very loud so not a place for a quiet dinner! We had a fantastic time here and the food, even for vegetarians was great (there was some huge peices of meat being served, together with fish) All of the people on our table really enjoyed the food and the live entertainment was superb

1  Thank LindzD019
Reviewed November 18, 2011

It's a supper club. The decor is classy, music was top notch. The food we all had was prepared and presented with elegance. A little loud if you are trying to converse while the music plays but save those conversations for the band breaks.
My drink was prepared incorrectly and the waiter gave an attitude which didn't start the evening well but once that was out of the way we really enjoyed the night.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

Our friend who lives in Manhattan took us to Darby's. We loved the band with the singers. They started off with older songs and then when the younger crowd came in, they played more modern music. We had about six appetizers. They were good but not great and completely overpriced. I guess because this is suppose to be one of the newer more popular places. I would go back for the entertainment but not the food. We were going to go next door to the Italian restaurant, but we enjoyed the entertainment so just stayed.

1  Thank judi2
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I was recently in New York for my bachelorette party weekend, and my friends had arranged a dinner at The Darby to kick off our Saturday night celebration. The reservations were made months in advance, and when I learned of where we would be going, I was thrilled, particularly due to the acclaim of both the restaurant and the executive chef. Our reservation was made for 10:00, and our party arrived promptly and checked in with the front of the house. We enjoyed drinks at the bar for about 45 minutes before we decided to check back in to see when our table would be ready. We were informed that our table was "just finishing up", and it would be a "matter of minutes" before we were seated. The girl at the front of the house let us know that they would comp a round of drinks, if we wanted to continue waiting at the bar until the table was ready. We were pleased with this response, and continued to wait at the bar. Another 45 minutes passed, and we were still not seated. Despite multiple conversations with the girl at the front of the house, we were never given a clear answer as to when our table would be ready. We were consistently told that it would be ready "soon", and that it was the hostess's first night, so she was a bit overwhelmed. Eventually we learned that, not only had we been waiting nearly 2 hours for our table, but there was a party ahead of us whose reservation was for 9:00 still waiting to be seated. At this point, we opted to leave The Darby due to the extremely poor service and appalling lack of respect for their customers. I have never been so disappointed in a dining experience, and would certainly never go back to the Darby or recommend it to any friend or family.

1  Thank steph11014