“Best steak in NYC”
Review of Statler Grill

Statler Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Statler Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,798 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Transit: The restaurant is across the street from Pennsylvania Station.
Description: The Statler Grill harkens back to the golden age of the big band era, and is named after Ellsworth Statler, who ran the Hotel Pennsylvania from 1919 to 1954, when musicians such as Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie and Glenn Miller played at the Cafe Rouge, the hotel's main dining room. The Statler serves classic New York steakhouse prime steaks and chops as well as daily delivered fresh seafood, while the bar and lounge serve a delicious grill menu. Located just steps away from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden, it is the perfect place to have a breakfast meeting, a meal before an event at the Garden, or just to relax with friends and co-workers during happy hour before you hop on the train. It is all about the food and service says owner Joseph Lavelle. "I want my guests to enjoy themselves, have a great meal and return again and again".
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I've gone many a times to statler grill and I'm never disappointed. The prices are fairly reasonable for a good piece of steak in the city. The staff is always friendly and the ambiance is date or work classy. I love this place!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We went here for dinner one night of our honeymoon when visiting the States from Ireland. We were looking forward to nice steaks etc. and were prepared to pay for a great meal. We were very disappointed with the quality of the food, but more importantly the service was terrible! We had to try numerous times to catch the eye of the server to get more drinks etc.
What topped it all off was that when we got our bill there was automatically service charge on it, I can't remember the exact percentage (15-20%). No wonder the service was so poor, the waiter didn't care as he was getting his tip anyway! I don't mind paying for good service, but paying for abismal service just puts a sour taste in my mouth. Would not recommend at all!!! Go elsewhere.

2  Thank claireallen8
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had a coupon for the four of us and went after seeing Motown(another review for you to read)
We made a reservation and got there a little early but were seated right away. The menu we were given had great choices for all the courses. We had a fresh loaf of bread to go with our two bottles of wine and chatted while we waited for the meal to begin. Three of us had the French onion soup(perfect temp and taste)one had calamari that tasted great(the sauce was a little too spicy even for me)For entrees both couples had porterhouse steaks for two, med rare, and that's how they came, mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. It was too much to eat so we took a doggy home. Can someone say steak and eggs for breakfast. Anyway dessert was cheesecake and whipped cream with a strawberry, but to just say cheesecake is an understatement because this WAS a really good not sugar crunchy cheesecake dessert. OH and did I mention the great cup of coffee that washed it down.
Without the coupon this might have been out of our price range but if you splurge on a really good meal now and then you wont feel cheated.
I don't blame restaurants for giving guidelines on the tip by adding 18% to the bill. We will add ,as we did tonight, to that if the service and food is good.

3  Thank tctommy
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We used a Groupon and were very impressed with the very delicious food and wonderful service. I highly recommend the onion soup and porterhouse steak for two. Also, the mozzerella and tomotoe salad comes with sliced sundried tomatores, fresh basil and pesto on it - very yummy!! The deal we got was $175 which included 4 appetizers, 4 entrees, 2 family style side dishes (creamed spinach and homemade mashed potatoes), 4 deserts and coffee and 2 bottles of wine - WOW what a bargain!!!. Can't wait to go again. By the way, the bread pudding and Italian cheesecake were mouth watering.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Food was amazing and the staff were extremely friendly! Great place to eat after visiting Empire State Building in the evening.