“Elegant refined Indian restaurant with unusual menu twists”
Review of Junoon Restaurant

Junoon Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Junoon Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #918 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Between 5th & 6th Avenues
Transit: You can take the F or M train to 23rd St & 6th Avenue. Alternatively you can take the N,R,W to 23rd St.
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed this elegant. Indian dinner, everything from the wine list, to the atmosphere, which was very modern, understated, to the cuisine and 'indianized' cocktails (i.e.Mumbai margaritas). I loved the spicy entrees, and the appetizers were small portions enough for two to taste. Service was attentive. Each different server described what he was bringing to the table. Free palate soup in an ouzo glass was preferred. It is pricy but unique and well done.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Dear Chef Vikas,

I had to share this. Went on 17th August for dinner to the much talked about Junoon restaurant (fine dining) supposedly the best in town So here is my experience; - Made a reservation for 5, landed up with 6 and was accommodated. Much obliged. But then was surprised to see that the table was small and cramped. Should be good for max 4-5 in a fine dining. Left no personal space. Decor: Very nice. The highlight is that there was no smell of stale spices and curries in the air.

Ordered the following: Noorani Kebab: Great recipe. Served cold. Bad presentation Murg Tikka Mirza Hasnu : Average tandoori tikka served warm. The tandoor to table serving time should be a concern Patiala Shahi Gosht: Less said the better. Hard to chew, bad cuts, lots of fat. Dal Makhani: Nice. Murg Lababdar: Plain old butter chicken with extra fengureek and ginger. Basmati Rice: Had lumps. Dana Dana khilna chahiye. Chai: Requested a tea bag as one of my guest wanted a very light dip. Was surprised to hear that none are stocked. Asked for sugar cubes. Same reply. Plating: The art of plating for a fine dining (and so called Michelin star place) was non existent. Forget plating - the dishes had badly smeared corners. Table Setting: Silver setting was funny. No change of plates or cutlery between courses. Felt more like I was eating at a 8 round seating conference dinner. Service: Less said the better. Untrained servers. The first order taking was done after at least 30 mins. Nice refreshing Lassi Rose drink but brought to the table not immediately when seated but with the appetizers. Cold plates. Food was dumped on the table. No side table for additional dishes. No server ever came up to serve to you - we had to keep reaching across and play musical chairs. Overall a sad experience. Sadly makes me think of all the brilliant Indian restaurants that I keep reading about and seeing photographs of in India. Indian Accent being one of them. As an Indian and a food enthusiast , I humbly request you to raise the standards. Kind regards Ron Maitra

3  Thank Ron M
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Subtracted half a rating because the decor isn't as great, based on the cost. Another half deducted for the bathroom, which was kinda stinky and totally unexpected in such a high end restaurant.

P.S.: Our waiting time on a Fri night (without prior reservation) was 2 hrs, but the food was worth the wait.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were very excited to try Junoon. We had expienced a wonderful evening in Washington DC at a fantastic Indian restaurant and had great expectations from Junoon after reading several reviews. I made reservations for 5 thru open table for my mother, niece 14 , nephew 16 ,my husband and myself. I received a call from Junoon on Friday wanting to know if I was aware of the dress code and to ask if there were children in my party. I thanked them for the dress code information and told them I had a 14 and 16 year old. I was informed that would be fine however they may seat us in the lounge area for dinner instead of the main dining room because of the children however they would make a note for the hostess to access the situation when we arrived. She informed me the lounge was a beautiful area and we would have access to the full menu.

When we arrived there seemed to be a bit of confusion as my reservation had been canceled. I informed them that I had no knowledge of that and explained my conversation from the previous day. The manager informed me that it was no problem and they would be seating us in the main dining room. We were seated and had an enjoyable meal. The food was good however not fantastic . The service was good again not fantastic. Our main waiter was not a joy nor that attentive however those who helped him especially one server was awesome.

The restuarant was not full by any means not in the bar or the main dining room.

I checked my email the following day and found that Junoon had canceled my reservation. They didn't call they canceled via email. I found it funny they thought it so important to verify a dress code and to see if children were in the party yet did not have the courtesy to call to let me know they had canceled my reservation. I understood the confusion they had when we showed up completely unaware they had canceled . I also found it amazingly rude as we had 8:00 Satuday reservations however they did not cancel until Saturday afternoon 3:39 pm. It would be very difficult to try to find somewhere else to go last minute in NYC on Saturday evening.

All in all Junoon treated us kindly and we had a nice evening. I however believe they should think of a better way to communicate with the patrons......after all New York has some amazing restuarants and Junoon is not the only Indian fare in town. We will try somewhere else on our next visit.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

After disappointing experiences at Tabla and Tamarind in the past, we gave Junoon a shot and were impressed with the five-course non-vegetarian chef's tasting menu. The vegetarian version was also solid but not exciting, but the non-veg (Scallop chaat [cured scallop salad), pan-seared Arctic char with rhubarb puree, duck leg with kale, braised lamb korma, raspberry tart and vanilla ice cream) was superb. In fact, the lamb was the most tender and flavorful lamb dish we have ever tasted, and I, who had the vegetarian tasting, found myself poaching from my wife's meal the whole time. Dinner for two with cocktails and bottled water ran $250 with tip. We'd go back just for the lamb but would also try a number of their other meat dishes.