“Adventurous Spanish Chef”

Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus-Broadway
Transit: 1 train to 66th Street-Lincoln Center 2/3 train to 72nd
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The chef started out as an artist and then began cooking. It shows in his careful presentation of dishes. You can't eat pretty, but he makes sure things taste as good as they look. We got the tapas sampler as an appetizer for two. It was a winner across the board on which they arrived. So was the hanger steak we both had. My dessert was the only miss. It was called Earth: a little bit of chocolate mouse, a little bit of chopped pistachios, a little bit of crunchy crumbled chocolate cake, and other things. Its appearance recalled greenery and dirt, but the combination of tastes, including lemon, worked. The problem was the texture: too dry. If I had swirled it all together before spooning it up, it might have been better. But I think there wasn't enough mousse to moisten everything sufficiently. Nice try anyway. The chef is nothing if not inventive.

Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Love this place created by Madrid chef Cutting edge Spanish cuisine Beautiful flavours combined in successful and unusual ways It deserves far greater recognition

Reviewed May 23, 2012

This is now on my destination restaurant list. The food is exceptionally creative and the tastes jump off the plate, they are so alive. We had six or seven plates and one was better than the next and although the portions were grand i wanted more of each and left feeling i had no room for another morsel. wines by the glass are very well chosen and the bottle list inspired by an expert.
you must order the pasta with oxtail and octopus, meatballs and potatoes braviolis.
The chef Mr. jesus nunez is a genius in my opinion and you will not be able to enjoy food like this at these prices for long. He will be discovered by the masses and then who knows.
Tapas at the bar seems like an unbelievable deal.

1  Thank travelguy500
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The food was rather delicious, and had an artful flair but nothing to the point of tiny portions. It was my birthday evening, and we were hoping for a Spanish restaurant (Spain Spanish) and this was spot on. They gave us one of the few single tables, for a party of two, and threw a candle on the dessert at the end of the evening which was a nice tough. The decor and ambiance was romantic and right what what we had in mind. Spent less than $150, and we had a full 4 course meal. Our favorite was probably the decadent chocolate dessert, accompanied by a half dozen pureed fruit of which you dip into. Incredible. All an all, a highly recommended place that we'd like to visit again.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have to start this review by telling you,I include what other people I'm dining with think about the overall experience,". This is a leisurely restaurant.If you are in a rush ask the wait staff or management how long it will take. ......The staff doesn't rush you and lingering over Tapas and wine is nice but that being said,"Service was slow"
The garden room is pretty!
The monk fish was good, the beet and goat cheese appetizer was a hit with everyone! The savory carrot cake was delicious and unusual.
My desert was work of art.I can't describe it so I took a photo of it.I think it was called ,"Emerald Forest",it was a yogurty,well decorated plate with merengue and jello-ish decorations.It also had munchkin like powdered confections with cream.I shared it and everyone liked it.