“Good German American Restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Williamstown, New Jersey
“Good German American Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a very good German rest. with authentic meals and great beers! The chef visits the tables and the food is as close to homemade as you can find. It's open aired but still very pleasent in keeping with the locale. Very easy to find at the corner of Second Ave. and Second St. It was our first visit with friends who live in the area and we'll be back. I would prefer not to comment on the food too much since it was our first visit. Overall, I must say that we enjoyed everything about the experience!!

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank wredbass

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent food, atmosphere and service - a great addition to the neighborhood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

We'd been waiting with some anticipation to see what would end up in this long vacant spot and Heartbreak makes us swoon. In terms of design & architecture, the restaurant itself is sleek yet inviting and the service is upscale without being pretentious. Food was excellent - better than some Michelin starred restaurants we've been to in the city - and prices quite reasonable for a nice dinner out. Definitely recommend it, and definitely will be going back. Can't wait to see if/how they open the huge glass doors come summer....

• Visited March 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great find for German cooking in a trendy setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

I grew up with German food, but it's hard to find any good restaurants serving that cuisine that aren't beer gardens. I read a review of this restaurant in the NY Times, and since we were planning a trip to NYC in a few weeks, I kept it and we made a special trip there.

The place looks not too inviting on the outside, but the inside was warm and trendy - all in tones of red, with candle lit tables and a cozy atmosphere. Our Ukrainian waitress was very friendly and informative. Our food very good - our entrees were the Saurbratten and savory braised red cabbage (YUM!) and a pork schnitzel (chop) that was crisp, tender and perfection.

We ordered a bottle of Austrian red wine which was very good. The menu listed the price as $23, but when the bill arrived, it was listed at $29. I told the waitress, who immediately told the maitre' de. He not only adjusted the bill promptly, but also took off our teas, which we protested, but he insisted.

It was a great place to eat, and we would definitely return when we're next in NYC. One word of caution - I went to the rest room during the meal. It's through a door and down a stairway. When I was coming back up, I accidentally exited through the wrong door. (There are two doors on the stairs, neither of them marked.) I would up in a hallway with no way out except the emergency exit (alarm will sound...)! I had left my cell phone at the table, and I thought I was stuck! I pounded on the wrong door I had just come through and someone happened to be passing and let me in. Whew!!!

• Visited February 2011